Author Topic: Kobe Bryant Takes Heat for Refusing to Blindly Support Trayvon Martin  (Read 409 times)

Oceander

Kobe Bryant Takes Heat for Refusing to Blindly Support Trayvon Martin

Friday, 28 Mar 2014 04:44 PM

By Joe Battaglia

Basketball star Kobe Bryant is at the center of a social media firestorm after suggesting in a magazine article that the widespread support for Trayvon Martin was premature and that without facts he refused to show support for the slain teen solely because he's African American.

In an interview with Ben McGrath in the March 31 issue of The New Yorker,  the 35-year-old Los Angeles Lakers guard discussed an array of topics ranging from his unusual upbringing to the winding down of his basketball career.

When Bryant was six, he moved with his family to Italy so that his father Joe "Jellybean" Bryant could pursue a professional basketball career in the European leagues. When the family returned to suburban Philadelphia some years later, Bryant struggled to re-assimilate as an Italian-speaking black teenager.

In the article, Bryant said the social adjustment was made difficult by his "growing up a little differently," combined with "blacks having their own way of talking, and I really had to learn two languages in order to fit in. Kids are cruel. It's always been hard."

Bryant added that as an adult African-American athlete, there's "always a struggle to step outside" of "the box people try to put you in."

When asked by McGrath to expound on that in relation to the Miami Heat's show of solidarity with Martin in the viral photo tweeted by LeBron James in March, 2012, Bryant ruffled liberal feathers.

"I won’t react to something just because I'm supposed to, because I'm an African-American," Bryant said. "That argument doesn’t make any sense to me. So we want to advance as a society and a culture, but, say, if something happens to an African-American we immediately come to his defense? Yet you want to talk about how far we've progressed as a society? Well, if we've progressed as a society then don’t jump to somebody's defense just because they're African-American. You sit and you listen to the facts just like you would in any other situation, right? So I won’t assert myself.”

At no point has Bryant voiced support for George Zimmerman, the former neighborhood watchman who claimed self-defense in the February 2012 confrontation with Martin in a gated community where he was visiting his father and father's fiancee. In July 2013, Zimmerman was found not guilty in the shooting death of Martin, following a racially-charged trial.

Read more ...