Author Topic: Bank accidentally deposited $31,000 into the account of a boy, 18, and almost spent the lot... but now the bank wants it back  (Read 841 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

--Many customers at the bank have the same name
--He originally tried to claim the money was from his grandmother's estate
--The bank is threatening legal action, but they teen has yet to return the money

By RYAN GORMAN

PUBLISHED: 01:02 EST, 28 March 2014 | UPDATED: 06:06 EST, 28 March 2014

A Georgia teenager went on an epic shopping spree after a bank error in his favor netted him more than $30,000 earlier this month.
The unidentified 18-year-old male, who has an account with the Athens branch of First Citizens Bank, unwittingly received a $31,000 deposit March 7, has already spent almost all of it and refuses to return the money to the bank.
The money ended up in his account after a bank employee processed the deposit into the wrong account, police told the Athens Banner-Herald, multiple customers have the same name.

Read more: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2591370/Bank-accidentally-deposited-31-000-account-18-year-old-boy-went-shopping-spree-spending-bank-wants-back.html#ixzz2xHg63gZU
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
If it was a bank employee error why should he have to pay it back?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

If it was a bank employee error why should he have to pay it back?

Because it wasn't his and he clearly knew, or must have known, that it wasn't his.  If he doesn't give it back then he becomes a thief and should be dealt with as such.

Offline rustynail

Boy is going to learn a life lesson.

Oceander

Offline speekinout

I read elsewhere that he's under arrest. That's probably appropriate - he knew it was an error, but he rushed to spend most of it. And then he tried to lie his way out of it. Reports also said that the bank tried to work out repayment plans with him, but that wasn't successful. It sounds like he didn't even buy things that he could resell to recover much of the money.

I hope he learned enough to keep him out of a jail sentence for this. Otherwise, it's probably just going to be his first conviction. He was wrong every step of the way.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I get annoyed at stories like this. It's baiting and switching: you give someone money, then you take it back and the recipient is the one who got punished for YOUR mistake?

I don't think so.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline raml

Come on the kid knew it was a mistake the money wasn't his and he knew it and should be punished for stealing.

Offline sinkspur

I get annoyed at stories like this. It's baiting and switching: you give someone money, then you take it back and the recipient is the one who got punished for YOUR mistake?

I don't think so.

Nobody "gave" anybody money.  It was a clerical mistake.

The bank tried to work out a repayment plan, but the stupid kid refused.  He's 18, so he's an adult and will suffer adult consequences.

A clerical mistake is not the same as winning the lottery.

Not a good reflection of the kid's values.  Why did he think he was entitled to free money?  No doubt his parents are going to be on the hook for this dopey kid's profligacy.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

I don't think so.

No, the man - at 18 he's not a "boy" - is being punished because he took what he knew wasn't his, what he knew hadn't been abandoned or given to him, but had been credited to his account by mistake, and he spent it. 

Try this:  if you and your wife sit down next to me on a park bench, both you and I happen to have the same color backpack, and your wife mistakenly puts your expensive DSLR into by backpack instead of yours, am I allowed to keep it, and you have to eat it?

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!

I don't think so.

:chairbang:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

Nobody "gave" anybody money.  It was a clerical mistake.

Why did he think he was entitled to free money?  No doubt his parents are going to be on the hook for this dopey kid's profligacy.

Maybe environment is on the hook. At 18 he's been steeped in ostentatious materialism and entitlement. He's our product – one of our proud society member. And suddenly he has virtual money – probably the only kind he's ever used, as cash is replaced by plastic. Maybe that's part of the problem. He didn't have "actual" greenback money. I'm not excusing him. I'm just glimpsing how easy it was for him. He didn't have to work up a sweat to crack a safe or stick up a teller. Just the click of a mouse.

People justify their motives. Legal mitigation however, is something else.

Online mountaineer

Not a good reflection of the kid's values.  Why did he think he was entitled to free money?
Good point and it's fair to point out that children learn such things from their parents. Granted, some kids do the wrong thing no matter how well they've been raised.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

One time a teller put too much money in the envelope at a drive through. I didn't realize it until I got home, which was at closing time. I reported it right away, and happened to get the same teller when I called. She thanked me, and said I saved her a major headache and maybe her job. I have given money back to cashiers who gave me the wrong change. Had I done otherwise, I would still have it on my conscience.

Mom always told us, 'a thief is a liar, and a liar is a thief.'

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
One time a teller put too much money in the envelope at a drive through. I didn't realize it until I got home, which was at closing time. I reported it right away, and happened to get the same teller when I called. She thanked me, and said I saved her a major headache and maybe her job. I have given money back to cashiers who gave me the wrong change. Had I done otherwise, I would still have it on my conscience.

Mom always told us, 'a thief is a liar, and a liar is a thief.'

It all boils down to values ingrained in us as children.

However, I do love to see cashiers get flummoxed when you give them the loose change in your transaction.....for example, if the total is $2.83 and you give them $5.33. they look at your like a short-change artist.   LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

It all boils down to values ingrained in us as children.

However, I do love to see cashiers get flummoxed when you give them the loose change in your transaction.....for example, if the total is $2.83 and you give them $5.33. they look at your like a short-change artist.   LOL!

I have done the same. When I was a cashier years ago, we had to actually count out the change. Today's kids would be lost.