Author Topic: Conservatives slam rushed controversial House vote  (Read 431 times)

Offline flowers

Conservatives slam rushed controversial House vote
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:37:59 pm »
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/27/conservatives-slam-rushed-controversial-house-vote/

Some conservatives are up in arms over a hurried Thursday vote on the so-called “doc fix” for Medicare, which they felt leadership tried to slip by them.

The bill passed in a 30-second voice vote with very few members on the House floor.

The “doc fix” is a temporary patch to prevent a 24 percent cut to the amount of money the government pays doctors who take care of Medicare patients. The cut will take effect on April 1 if Congress does not move to prevent it.

Owing to the tight deadline, leadership opted to bring the bill straight to the floor “under suspension of the rules,” meaning it needed a two-thirds vote to pass — a higher threshold than the normal simple majority. But it was not clear that a sufficient number of votes could be found.

The bill is somewhat controversial — some lawmakers want to strike a deal for a more permanent solution. Others, like Kansas Republican Rep. Tim Huelskamp, think the way the patch is paid for — which partly involves shifting sequester cuts to Medicare from 2025 to 2024 — is a “gimmick.”

But the potential to not get enough votes turned out not to be an issue. Instead, most members did not get to vote at all.

Shortly after noon, the bill was passed by voice vote, with the chair — Republican Rep. Steve Womack — deciding that two-thirds of the very few members in the room had said “aye.” Most members were unaware the vote was taking place and missed it, as did quite a few reporters.

Offline speekinout

Re: Conservatives slam rushed controversial House vote
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 11:54:14 pm »
Good move on the part of the GOP. They really did have to pass this bill, but it isn't the right solution to the problem. This way, they got the bill passed, but none of the Reps. had to attach their name to the vote. The leadership will take some flak, but the issue can be deferred to a later time - i.e.., after the 2014 elections - when all medical care will be on the table.

I like it.  :laugh:

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:02:19 am »
Good move on the part of the GOP. They really did have to pass this bill, but it isn't the right solution to the problem. This way, they got the bill passed, but none of the Reps. had to attach their name to the vote. The leadership will take some flak, but the issue can be deferred to a later time - i.e.., after the 2014 elections - when all medical care will be on the table.

I like it.  :laugh:

Gomer Gohmert was all pissed over the way this was done, but many in his wing of the GOP don't seem to realize that we can't give the Dems ANYTHING to distract from Obamacare.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline speekinout

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 12:18:53 am »
Gomer Gohmert was all pissed over the way this was done, but many in his wing of the GOP don't seem to realize that we can't give the Dems ANYTHING to distract from Obamacare.

I'm not surprised. Reminds me of the old saying - "the perfect is the enemy of the good". Deferring the problem was the absolutely best thing that could have been accomplished right now. No one thinks it's a perfect solution, but the only choices were this or a self-defeating battle.