Author Topic: 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' will return for TV special  (Read 857 times)

Offline flowers

'Mystery Science Theater 3000' will return for TV special
« on: March 28, 2014, 08:04:55 pm »
http://www.upi.com/Entertainment_News/2014/03/24/Mystery-Science-Theater-3000-will-return-for-TV-special/7771395670807/?spt=tsb&or=1

Theater 3000 cast members will return to television for a National Geographic channel special.

The show first aired in 1988 and quickly gained a cult following. The series features a man and his robot friends who are stuck in space and forced to watch bad films as part of a psychological experiment. The group provide a running commentary on the movies in order to stay sane.

Created and first hosted by Joel Hodgson, and later hosted by writer Mike Nelson, each MST3K episode could feature an average of around 700 jokes in later years.

Mystery Science Theater 3000 ran for eleven seasons, and aired its last episode in 1999.

The series will make a return to television for a new TV special, Total Riff-Off, with former cast members Michael J. Nelson, Kevin Murphy and Bill Corbett, who continue riffing movies through their project RiffTrax.

Murphy was the second puppeteer and voice behind the robot Tom Servo during the series, and Corbett voiced the robot Crow during the show's later seasons.

Total Riff-Off will consist of three hour-long episodes, in which the trio will resume their banter and joking commentary as they are "forced" to watch classic clips from National Geographic programs. Honey Badgers, Man v. Monster, and Swamp Men are among the NatGeo shows to be lampooned.

Total Riff-Off's first episode will debut at 8 p.m. ET on the National Geographic channel on April 1, in recognition of April Fool's Day.

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: 'Mystery Science Theater 3000' will return for TV special
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 08:36:09 pm »
Love that show 'Mystery Science Theater X000'. One day I'll get the box set.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 05:04:51 pm »
My 12-year old son loves Mystery Science Theater. My Netflix "you have watched" section is jam packed full of MST movies he has seen. He recently built Lego versions of the robots seen on the show and if we're sitting down watching a movie he holds them and you can here him imitate the characters of the show making his own funny comments throughout the movie, often to our annoyance.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:43:35 pm »
Mr. M and I were making wisecracks during some awful low-budget sci-fi movie the other night and he said, "We should be on Mystery Science Theater!" 
I said, "Good thing it's coming back."
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline flowers

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 06:32:30 pm »
It was a hilarious show.

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 06:46:48 pm »
Mr. M and I were making wisecracks during some awful low-budget sci-fi movie the other night and he said, "We should be on Mystery Science Theater!" 
I said, "Good thing it's coming back."

There was another show like it back in the 80s where they turned down the dialog of the movie and a group of people sitting in the front roll would fill in their own words for the entire movie. It was well choreographed and hilarious.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2014, 02:59:25 pm »
Did anyone watch the show last night? We did. Some of it was really funny.  Enjoyed most of it.