Author Topic: Search for potential 'planet X' far from over  (Read 435 times)

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Search for potential 'planet X' far from over
« on: March 28, 2014, 04:01:01 PM »

Offline NavyCanDo

Re: Search for potential 'planet X' far from over
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 07:41:54 PM »
I would be much happier when they start looking for that planet where those green-skin Orion slave girls live.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:10 AM »
I would be much happier when they start looking for that planet where those green-skin Orion slave girls live.

:bigsilly:

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 01:44:39 PM »
:bigsilly:

Now that would be a valuable use of tax payers dollars.   Or maybe not  because even if we did locate them, my wife wouldn't let me keep one.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 03:17:21 PM »
There are a couple of venture groups out there who are are looking long term at mining in the asteroid belt, and planetoids like this one can be extremely valuable no matter what they are made of.  Ice makes excellent reaction mass for a number of theoretical drive systems, and there are truly valuable minerals to be recovered.

For example.  Iron-nickel is a very common combination of two very common elements.  Consider that on earth, the six platinum-group metals, ruthenium, rhodium, palladium, osmium, iridium, and platinum, all occur together in a predictable proportion of Iron-nickel ore....for conversational purposes, let us say that the proportion is .01 ounces combined per ton of ore.

So do the math and figure out how much platinum group metal there would be in a solid iron-nickel asteroid that massed 2 trillion tons???

You see my point.  There is money to be made, and a lot of it depending on what these planetoids are made up of....

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 05:44:28 PM »
You see my point.  There is money to be made, and a lot of it depending on what these planetoids are made up of....

Loads of it! Don't know if you have read Web Between the Worlds - that has a fascinating take on asteroid mining.

Find a metal rich asteroid. Start it spinning. Park a parabolic mirror along side of it with the asteroid at the focus. Let it melt. You wind up with a perfect, automatically fractionated sphere, with the heaviest and most valuable metals on the outside for ease of access. Use ice or pulverized rock as ion drive fuel for doing the spin up and keeping the mirror on station.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf