Author Topic: Iced tea drinker arrested, urged to take plea deal by prosecutors  (Read 624 times)

rangerrebew

Iced Tea Drinker Arrested - Urged to Take a “Deal” from Prosecutors

Kim Paxton March 26, 2014

So, it’s a warm day, and you’re standing in a parking lot, drinking a refreshing can of iced tea.

Suddenly, a random dude walks up and demands your beverage. You show him that it is in fact iced tea and that you aren’t publicly intoxicated. He tells you to give him the can and you say no, figuring this stranger can get his own iced tea.

Incidentally, the random dude is a plainclothes police officer. Despite the fact that you’re drinking iced tea, you are flung to the ground and put in a chokehold, because we all know that folks just can’t be drinking iced tea all willy-nilly in a parking lot like that.

photo credit Police State USA

This is exactly what happened to rapper Christopher “Xstrav” Beatty, who was handcuffed and arrested by Officer Rick Libero of the Cumberland County Alcoholic Beverage Control Law Enforcement for drinking a can of Arizona iced tea in the parking lot of a liquor store in Fayetteville, North Carolina last April. Luckily for Beatty, a friend was right there, capturing the arrested on his camera. It’s also important to note that Officer Libero did NOT immediately identify himself as a police officer.

You can watch an interview with clips from the video of Beatty’s arrest below.

One would think that with the entire debacle on video that Beatty’s plight would have ended shortly after this incident. One would be incorrect. Beatty was charged with trespassing and resisting arrest, and is being offered a “deal” by prosecutors. (Is it an election year? This wouldn’t be the first prosecutor to “crack down” for a ridiculous reason in order to win fame and garner votes.)

Let’s be sure we are 100% clear on this.

THEY WANT A MAN WHO IS GUILTY OF DRINKING ICED TEA AND NOT GOING AWAY AT THE ORDER OF AN (AT THE TIME) UNIDENTIFIED MAN TO TAKE A PLEA BARGAIN.

Read more at http://freedomoutpost.com/2014/03/iced-tea-drinker-arrested-urged-take-deal-prosecutors/#ced57eieSbxoBYS7.99

Offline aligncare

Re: Iced tea drinker arrested, urged to take plea deal by prosecutors
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 02:21:30 pm »
First, they came for our ice tea. And I did nothing – I drink coke.

Joking aside, nanny-statism is a predictor of evolving tyranny. And with the Obama administration, the future is now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 02:22:32 pm »
Being black in public is a serious offense to many cops. Add in possession of a revolting brand of iced tea, loitering with intent to drink, refusal to respect authority and he's looking at 10 to life if he doesn't cut a deal.  :whistle:

Though in all seriousness, I am not surprised they are offering a plea deal. They really don't want this to come to open court. Not all judges are stupid.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

rangerrebew

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 02:53:36 pm »
They really don't want this to come to open court. Not all judges are stupid.

Maybe that's true in Britain, but I'm not so certain any more about the U.S. :pondering:

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 03:43:40 pm »
This incident happened last year. Here's some more info and video.

As of March 21, 2014, charges still pending:
Had a Twitter conversation with Xstrav today. I thought I had read that charges had been dropped, but he told me today he's still dealing with it...and plans on fighting it in court
https://www.facebook.com/carolinascopblock?ref=stream
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online Slide Rule

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 11:25:59 pm »
Too bad our tea drinker wasn't a concealed carry guy.  Then, the city could be less one incompetent ass.

Al

White, American, MAGA, 3% Neanderthal, and 97% Extreme Right Wing Conservative.

Recommended

J Boswell, The Life of Samuel Johnson
E Burke, Reflections on the Revolution in France
N Davies, Europe: A History
R Feynman, The Feynman Lectures on Physics
R Penrose, The Road To Reality & The Emperor's New Mind
K Popper, An Open Society and Its Enemies & The Logic of Scientific Discovery
A Solzhenitsyn, The Gulag Archipelago, & Everything he wrote