Author Topic: Boehner to attend Ritz Carlton event for anti-tea party group  (Read 1596 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/28/boehner-to-attend-ritz-carlton-event-for-anti-tea-party-group/

Patrick Howley

Republican House Speaker John Boehner will spend next weekend at a Ritz Carlton event hosted by an anti-tea party group devoted to fighting conservatives within the GOP.

Boehner and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor will be among 28 House members attending a $5,000-a-head event hosted by The Republican Main Street Partnership’s advocacy group, Red State reported. Donations will reportedly go to the anti-tea party super PAC Defending Main Street, which by February had received most of its funding from labor unions.

The event will be hosted at the Ritz Carlton on Amelia Island in Nassau County, Florida.

The Republican Main Street Partnership and its affiliated Main Street Advocacy group are headed by former Rep. Steve LaTourette, who has committed himself to raising money and running ads to defend centrist congressional Republican candidates from tea party primary challengers.

“They have decided to systemically go against center-right Republicans in primary elections,” LaTourette previously told The Daily Caller, referring to his tea party rivals. LaTourette said that tea partiers are happy to call him a “RINO” but that that they go “apoplectic” when the “RINO gets a gun” and “fires back.”

“Here’s the deal: we didn’t start this fight,” LaTourette said, “but I’m going to finish it.”

LaTourette’s efforts challenge those of conservative House members like Rep. Louie Gohmert, who recently launched his GOH Conservative PAC to fight back against establishment Republican fundraising efforts.

Gohmert criticized Boehner Thursday after the Speaker rushed a seemingly doomed bill to extend Medicare reimbursements through the House with a “voice vote” while many members were still in their offices instead of on the House floor. Gohmert said “you need to be able to trust your own leadership.”

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Re: Boehner to attend Ritz Carlton event for anti-tea party group
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 03:22:27 pm »
Boehner Won’t Be Attending Anti-Tea Party PAC’s Ritzy Florida Retreat

Left to right: House Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio), and House Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) (Andrew Stiles/AP)

(CNSNews.com) – House Speaker John Boehner will not be attending a weekend retreat hosted by The Republican Mainstreet Partnership PAC -- whose goal is to elect moderate GOP candidates and protect Republican incumbents from Tea Party challengers -- because of a scheduling conflict, a GOP aide told CNSNews.com.

But Boehner's top two lieutenants, Majority Leader Eric Cantor (R-Va.) and Majority Whip Kevin McCarthy (R-Calif.), are listed as speakers on the agenda for the April 11-13th event, which will be held at the Ritz-Carlton on Amelia Island, Fla.

CNSNews.com’s repeated calls and emails to Cantor and McCarthy to confirm their attendance at the weekend getaway were not returned.

An aide to Rep. Frank LoBiondo (R-N.J.) said that he will be attending the gathering, but there was no response from Republican Congressmen Fred Upton (R-Mich.) or Leonard Lance (R-N.J.), who are also listed as participants at the PAC event.

Although no details or topics of discussion were listed on the agenda beyond “Welcome,” Break-Out Sessions,” “Political Overview,” “Ways and Means Overview,” and “Game Night,” an emailed invitation obtained by CNSNews.com stated that the goal of the gathering is to “bolster our incumbents who are under attack from the far right, and ensure that we hold on to seats represented by pragmatic Republicans that we would otherwise loose [sic] if there was an ultra-conservative in the general runoff.”

The invitation added that “people that are attending have donated $5,000 to the PAC.”

Former Ohio Republican Congressman Steve LaTourette, president of The Main Street Partnership. (AP photo)

Former Ohio congressman Steve LaTourette is a member of the PAC’s board, which “supports Republican candidates who are fiscally conservative and take a pragmatic, common-sense approach to social issues.”

Last November, LaTourette, who is also president of an affiliated group called Main Street Advocacy, blamed the Tea Party and conservative groups that supported it for “waging a vicious intra-party civil war that has cost the Republican Party control of the U.S. Senate.”

LaTourette added that the group’s anti-Tea Party digital ad campaign was just the “opening salvo” in an $8 million effort to “fight back” against “the far right’s attempts to purge the GOP of people they find to be ‘imperfect’.”

LaTourette also heads The Main Street Partnership, which has donated $2.1 million to candidates since 2000, according to Open Secrets.

Main Street Partnership’s website says it is “aligned with the governing wing of the Republican Party and centrist policymakers.” Members include “moderate” Republican Senators Susan Collins (R-ME), Mark Kirk (R-IL) and John McCain (R-AZ).

LaTourette, who is also president of lobbying firm McDonald Hopkins Government Strategies and a “close friend” of Boehner, recently taunted the Club for Growth for targeting Main Street Partnership member Rep. Adam Kinzinger (R-IL) for a primary challenge because of his voting record on key conservative issues, including the Ryan-Murray budget deal.

According to Open Secrets, LaTourette’s group spent $20,000 this year to support Kinzinger against Tea Party challenger David Hale.

- See more at: http://cnsnews.com/news/article/barbara-hollingsworth/boehner-won-t-be-attending-anti-tea-party-pac-s-ritzy-florida#sthash.4IgSzQGO.dpuf
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:29:18 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 04:12:15 pm »
Glad Boehner had the good sense not to attend.  Not surprised at all at Cantor's presence.  If Cantor wins his primary, I surely hope his primary opponent runs against him as a third party candidate.  That may be the only way to get rid of these entrenched incumbents who are consistently in the left wing of the GOP.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 04:52:57 pm »
Glad Boehner had the good sense not to attend.  Not surprised at all at Cantor's presence.  If Cantor wins his primary, I surely hope his primary opponent runs against him as a third party candidate.  That may be the only way to get rid of these entrenched incumbents who are consistently in the left wing of the GOP.

Yeah.  Elect a Democrat. 

It's thinking like that that is destroying the GOP.  If I can't have my guy, I'd rather have a Democrat.

Dopey.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:21 pm »

just remember that the left wing of the GOP is still much further to the right than the right wing of the democrat party.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:05 pm »
just remember that the left wing of the GOP is still much further to the right than the right wing of the democrat party.

Really?

On AMNESTY? VOTER FRAUD? IRS Abuses?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 05:16:57 pm »
Really?

On AMNESTY? VOTER FRAUD? IRS Abuses?

Really.  How many Republicans voted for Obamacare?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 05:59:25 pm »
Yeah.  Elect a Democrat. 

It's thinking like that that is destroying the GOP.  If I can't have my guy, I'd rather have a Democrat.

Dopey.

Actually, it is brilliant politics when applied to certain RINOS.  The democrat could be defeated in only two years with a fresh and more Conservative face.   Conservatives would have a chance to actually elect a Conservative when the lobbyist gorged RINO lost. 

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 06:02:14 pm »

True.  However, if the seat could be won by a Conservative, it makes no sense to keep electing a RINO.  A Conservative could win Cantor's seat and that is why he needs to GO.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 06:09:48 pm »
Actually, it is brilliant politics when applied to certain RINOS.  The democrat could be defeated in only two years with a fresh and more Conservative face.   Conservatives would have a chance to actually elect a Conservative when the lobbyist gorged RINO lost. 

And in the meantime, that democrat provides provides the democrats with one more seat towards taking back control of the House; we shouldn't have to be reminded of what happened the last time the democrat party controlled Congress, should we?  Put a democrat-controlled Congress together with an out-of-control president willing to exercise quasi-autocratic power via executive order, and the amount of additional damage done in those two years would be astronomical.

That is not, IMHO, a particularly good political strategy.  It smacks of "we have to burn the village down in order to save it."

Oceander

« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 06:10:06 pm »
True.  However, if the seat could be won by a Conservative, it makes no sense to keep electing a RINO.  A Conservative could win Cantor's seat and that is why he needs to GO.

You know this for a fact?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 08:00:11 pm »
You know this for a fact?

It is my understanding that Cuccinelli won the district in the Governor's race.  He won this district overwhelmingly in his run as Attorney General.  That  is all I need to know.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 08:03:11 pm »
[quote That is not, IMHO, a particularly good political strategy.  It smacks of "we have to burn the village down in order to save it."
[/quote]

When the RINO goes too far in a Conservative district, yes, you have to burn him to save the seat for Conservatism.  Burn, baby Burn!

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 28, 2014, 08:06:56 pm »
[quote That is not, IMHO, a particularly good political strategy.  It smacks of "we have to burn the village down in order to save it."

When the RINO goes too far in a Conservative district, yes, you have to burn him to save the seat for Conservatism.  Burn, baby Burn!

Martyrdom will be cold comfort when the democrats retake control of the Congress this November.  And we'll have ideas like that to thank.

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #15 on: March 28, 2014, 10:29:43 pm »

Bad move, IMHO.  Split the GOP/Conservative vote and the seat goes to a Democrat.    **nononono*

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #16 on: March 28, 2014, 10:31:03 pm »

No conservative or republican will win by splitting the vote.  Period.

Offline happyg

« Reply #17 on: March 28, 2014, 10:46:01 pm »
Yeah.  Elect a Democrat. 

Dopey.

That is what the GOP is doing. If they can't have one of their own, they will settle for a democrat. Anything but a conservative!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #18 on: March 28, 2014, 11:16:23 pm »
And conversely if the seat cannot be won by a conservative, better a moderate Republican than a democrat.

It should be determined where the conservatives have little to no chance, and no resources wasted trying to do the impossible.

And the Tea Party should weed out their whacko birds before the election, not during the general.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #19 on: March 28, 2014, 11:56:31 pm »
“Here’s the deal: we didn’t start this fight,” LaTourette said, “but I’m going to finish it.”

Sounds good to me.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #20 on: March 29, 2014, 12:13:30 am »

It's stupid politics.  If it's a Conservative district, your fellow voters wouldn't go along with you anyway.

Let's defeat a moderate Republican and elect Alan Grayson. 

Braindead.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #21 on: March 29, 2014, 12:16:17 am »
That is what the GOP is doing. If they can't have one of their own, they will settle for a democrat. Anything but a conservative!

Baloney.  And you know it.  Republicans will vote for Republicans.

On the other hand, far-right conservative Republicans may not vote for a Republican.    I.E., Mitt Romney, 2012.

Offline happyg

« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2014, 12:30:14 am »
Baloney.  And you know it.  Republicans will vote for Republicans.

On the other hand, far-right conservative Republicans may not vote for a Republican.    I.E., Mitt Romney, 2012.

I don't appreciate your smarmy remarks to my opinions. You spend too much time twisting people's posts, so that you can lord something over them. The GOP is, for the most part, a club. They put up McCain, knowing he would probably lose. He was losing until Sarah came along, then he left the campaign to vote for TARP. That is when he tanked again and lost to Obama. I never said a word about republicans not voting for republicans. That's bs you invented to throw some trash.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2014, 01:05:42 am »

I don't appreciate your smarmy remarks to my opinions. You spend too much time twisting people's posts, so that you can lord something over them. The GOP is, for the most part, a club. They put up McCain, knowing he would probably lose. He was losing until Sarah came along, then he left the campaign to vote for TARP. That is when he tanked again and lost to Obama. I never said a word about republicans not voting for republicans. That's bs you invented to throw some trash.

I don't appreciate you asserting that Republicans would rather elect a Democrat. THAT IS BULLSHIT!!!

If you're not a Republican, admit it.  That way, we can discount whatever you have to say about the way the Republican Party functions. 

Nobody "put up" McCain.  He was elected with Republican votes.  These insane conspiracy theories that some on here propagate make Alex Jones look good.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2014, 03:45:00 am »
I don't appreciate you asserting that Republicans would rather elect a Democrat. THAT IS BULLSHIT!!!

If you're not a Republican, admit it.  That way, we can discount whatever you have to say about the way the Republican Party functions. 

Nobody "put up" McCain.  He was elected with Republican votes.  These insane conspiracy theories that some on here propagate make Alex Jones look good.
Absolutely.  Sane conservatives accept that not everybody agrees with conservatives, and no amount of message massage is going to fix that.  Sad for conservatives that the majority of voters, who are not conservative, still vote, so any politicians wanting to get elected or re-elected must garner 51% of the vote.  So all the disaffected conservatives can take their ball and go 3rd party but don't expect the GOP to shed a tear.  They'll be too busy pandering to the moderate voters to make up for the missing "conservatives."
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 09:37:08 am by Once-Ler »