Author Topic: Pelosi: Immigration reform more important than winning House  (Read 728 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Pelosi: Immigration reform more important than winning House
« on: March 27, 2014, 08:19:11 pm »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/201975-pelosi-immigration-reform-more-important-than-winning-back-house

March 27, 2014, 03:44 pm
Pelosi: Immigration reform more important than winning House

By Mike Lillis

Passing comprehensive immigration reform is more important than Democrats' success at the polls in November, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi (D-Calif.) said Thursday.

A number of Republicans and other conservative voices have accused Pelosi and the Democrats of using the immigration reform issue as a political crutch, suggesting the Democrats would rather keep the issue alive for campaign purposes than actually pass a bill.

But Pelosi on Thursday rejected that notion outright, and she didn't mince words.

"I believe, and I say this with all the sincerity I have, that it is more important to pass comprehensive immigration reform — to me and to my caucus — than to win the election in November," Pelosi said at a Washington gathering of the U.S. Hispanic Chamber of Commerce.

The comments arrive as Democrats in Congress and the White House are trying to energize Hispanic voters ahead of this year's midterm elections. Latinos strongly favored Obama in both 2008 and 2012, and the Democrats are hoping the current debate over immigration reform will spur them to the polls again in November.

On Wednesday, Pelosi and other House Democratic leaders introduced a discharge petition aimed at forcing House Speaker John Boehner (R-Ohio) to bring an immigration bill to the floor this year.

"Some say, 'You don't have the votes,' " Pelosi said. "Well, let's find out."

Headlining the Hispanic Chamber event, Vice President Biden said passing immigration reform would be "the single most important thing we can do for our economy and for America's future." 

"It's a game changer financially for the country," Biden said.

Although the Senate passed such a measure last year, Boehner and other GOP leaders have refused to act on it amid intense disagreements over the issue within their conservative conference. In January, Boehner introduced a list of reform "principles" designed to guide the debate, but he shelved them less than a week later in response to the outcry from his own troops.

The GOP's resistance is creating an urgency in Pelosi and other Democratic leaders, who fear losing all the momentum of the Senate's bipartisan action if the House doesn't move on the issue this year.

"If we don't get it done soon, if we don't get a vote in the House of Representatives, we have to start from scratch," Rep. Xavier Becerra (Calif.), head of the House Democratic Caucus, told the Hispanic Chamber. "I'm not saying vote 'yes.' I'm simply saying … give us a vote."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

rangerrebew

Re: Pelosi: Immigration reform more important than winning House
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:34:08 pm »
I swear!  The democratic leadership of Obama, Biden, Reid, and Pelosi have all been whipped with stupid sticks.

Offline Relic

« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:49:21 pm »
Pelosi is actually right on this one. If they can pass amnesty, they will establish an unbreakable Democrat majority for years to come. If they can't pass it, but push for it, they gain votes with the illegals already here. (Yes, I know, illegals shouldn't equal votes, but we are in bizarro world).

It's a no lose for the Democrats.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 10:03:14 pm »
Horse trade them.

Most of the GOP side of the deal that I have been seeing has had a waiting period for full citizenship - between 3 and 10 years or so? Stick to that gun, give the Dems their small victory, but tie it to voter ID instead. No proof of citizenship, no vote.

If Iraq and Afghanistan can get voter fraud at the ballot box right, I am pretty sure the US can cope with the same.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:11:03 pm »
Horse trade them.

Most of the GOP side of the deal that I have been seeing has had a waiting period for full citizenship - between 3 and 10 years or so? Stick to that gun, give the Dems their small victory, but tie it to voter ID instead. No proof of citizenship, no vote.

If Iraq and Afghanistan can get voter fraud at the ballot box right, I am pretty sure the US can cope with the same.

that's a good idea

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 01:49:43 am »
[[ Stick to that gun, give the Dems their small victory, but tie it to voter ID instead. No proof of citizenship, no vote. ]]

Nope.
They would NEVER live up to their end of the bargain.

democrats LIE.
ALL of them lie.
There is not one living that can be trusted.
Not one.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 12:08:30 pm »
Pelosi is actually right on this one. If they can pass amnesty, they will establish an unbreakable Democrat majority for years to come. If they can't pass it, but push for it, they gain votes with the illegals already here. (Yes, I know, illegals shouldn't equal votes, but we are in bizarro world).

It's a no lose for the Democrats.

Exactly.  Pass Amnesty and permanent leftist rule beginning in 2 1/2 years.   Don't pass it, try to fire up the illegal vote and/or their supporters.  Smart political ploy.  The only risk is further alienation of white voters, but they are not too concerned about that loss.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2014, 01:07:57 pm »
Exactly.  Pass Amnesty and permanent leftist rule beginning in 2 1/2 years.   Don't pass it, try to fire up the illegal vote and/or their supporters.  Smart political ploy.  The only risk is further alienation of white voters, but they are not too concerned about that loss.

White liberals are like abused wives. Democrats keep beating on whites, but the white liberals think they deserve it for some unspecified reason. They still think the Democrats love them.