Author Topic: Obama calls on Putin to move troops from Ukraine border  (Read 469 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Obama calls on Putin to move troops from Ukraine border
« on: March 28, 2014, 01:03:48 pm »
http://www.cbsnews.com/news/obama-calls-on-vladimir-putin-to-move-russian-troops-from-ukraine/

ByAmanda CochranCBS NewsMarch 28, 2014, 7:41 AM
Obama calls on Putin to move troops from Ukraine border

President Obama, in an interview in Rome with "CBS Evening News" anchor and managing editor Scott Pelley, said Russia must take steps now to reduce tensions over Ukraine.

"It's well known and well acknowledged that you've seen a range of troops massing along that border under the guise of military exercises. But these are not what Russia would normally be doing. And, you know, it may simply be an effort to intimidate Ukraine or it may be that they've got additional plans," Mr. Obama said.

To resolve and de-escalate the situation right now, Mr. Obama said Russia needs "to move back those troops and to begin negotiations directly with the Ukrainian government, as well as the international community."

Mr. Obama said Russian President Vladimir Putin has been "willing to show a deeply held grievance about what he considers to be the loss of the Soviet Union."

"You would have thought that after a couple of decades that there'd be an awareness on the part of any Russian leader that the path forward is not to revert back to the kinds of practices that, you know, were so prevalent during the Cold War but, in fact, to move forward with further integration with the world economy and to be a responsible international citizen."

Mr. Obama said Putin considers the breakup of the Soviet Union to be "tragic."

"There's a strong sense of Russian nationalism and a sense that somehow the West has taken advantage of Russia in the past and that he wants to, in some fashion, reverse that or make up for that.

"What I have repeatedly said is that he may be entirely misreading the West," Mr. Obama continued. "He's certainly misreading American foreign policy. We have no interest in encircling Russia and we have no interest in Ukraine beyond letting the Ukrainian people make their own decisions about their own lives."

He continued, "And it is true that we reject the notion that there is a sphere of influence along the Russian border that then justifies Russia invading other countries. Certainly they're going to have influence because of trade and tradition and language and heritage with Ukraine. Everybody acknowledges that. But there's a difference between that and sending in troops, and because you're bigger and stronger taking a piece of the country - that is not how international law and international norms are observed in the 21st century."

Asked about the North Atlantic Treaty Organization's response and whether NATO is a hollowed-out force, Mr. Obama made the point that it is up to all of the NATO allies to contribute, including Germany, Britain and others, in order to have a credible force as a counterweight against Putin's Russia, according to Pelley.

Eighty-five percent of U.S. forces have been removed from Europe since 1989. The U.S. formerly had 400,000 troops there, and now only about 50,000 troops remain.

Mr. Obama wouldn't be specific about what the U.S. would do if Russia pushed further into Ukraine, but he did say that there would be more economic sanctions brought to bear, not just by the U.S. but by the world community.

The latest CBS News poll shows that 46 percent of Americans disapprove of the way President Obama is handling the Ukraine situation, compared with 38 percent who approve.

Fifty-six percent of American approve of the sanctions leveled against Russia by the U.S. and other European countries, but 65 percent don't think the U.S. should provide military aid and weapons to Ukraine.

In addition, 57 percent of Americans think the situation in Crimea is beyond the control of the U.S.
However, Pelley noted on "CBS This Morning" that broad international condemnation of Russia's invasion of Crimea has buoyed the presidents hopes of resolving the conflict.

"On Thursday, a vote at the United Nations and 100 countries to 11 voted in favor of a resolution that condemned the invasion of Crimea, so the president really feels he has the backing of the rest of the world, and he hopes that these economic sanctions will be enough to deter Putin."
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline mountaineer

Re: Obama calls on Putin to move troops from Ukraine border
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2014, 01:15:58 pm »
that is not how international law and international norms are observed in the 21st century
I don't know who convinced Barry Hussein that this "21st century" nonsense, repeated over and over, is going to persuade anyone. It's no wonder Putin is laughing at him.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2014, 01:25:16 pm »
There was a special intel meeting and they sent an urgent letter to Obama.

This is Obama's response.

We have a bunch of radical communist, terrorist sympathizer hippies running the asylum.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online rustynail

« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2014, 01:28:00 pm »
Will Putin say "make me"?    Stay tuned.

Offline Relic

« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2014, 01:37:41 pm »
Could an aggressor be in a more comfortable position than Putin? Perhaps Hitler vs. Chamberlain was the same, but I am not well versed. America is disarming, China hasn't yet built up her military, so Putin is wisely exploiting the transition. Putin is in a position to do whatever he likes, without fear. What Putin likes is to strengthen Russia before China becomes a dominant military power.

Obama and America are simply not worth worrying about.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2014, 05:13:47 pm »
Will Putin say "make me"?    Stay tuned.

I'm thinking that Putin will say "BITE ME, PUNK!"
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 28, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »
Could an aggressor be in a more comfortable position than Putin? Perhaps Hitler vs. Chamberlain was the same, but I am not well versed. America is disarming, China hasn't yet built up her military, so Putin is wisely exploiting the transition. Putin is in a position to do whatever he likes, without fear. What Putin likes is to strengthen Russia before China becomes a dominant military power.

Obama and America are simply not worth worrying about.

I wish I didn't agree, but I do.  I'm starting to feel a sense of foreboding that I imagine some people - European and American - felt in the late 1930s.