Author Topic: What happens if Putin pushes into a NATO country?  (Read 402 times)

Offline pjohns

What happens if Putin pushes into a NATO country?
« on: March 27, 2014, 09:45:18 PM »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: What happens if Putin pushes into a NATO country?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 10:28:19 PM »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 11:11:50 PM »
You can take the Ruski out of the Cold War but you can't take the Cold War out of the Ruski.

Putin is going to do whatever he wants, and he will justify every move with popular opinion.  There is nothing Obama is willing to do to stop him so Putin will continue unimpeded.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 11:14:24 PM »
You can take the Ruski out of the Cold War but you can't take the Cold War out of the Ruski.

Putin is going to do whatever he wants, and he will justify every move with popular opinion.  There is nothing Obama is willing to do to stop him so Putin will continue unimpeded.

I hate to agree, but I agree.  I also think that Obama's dismissals of Russia as a weak country are doubly stupid because to the extent Putin is worried about a weak Russian economy he is likely to become more aggressive, not less, if for no other reason than to keep ordinary Russians distracted and have a perfectly good excuse for why the economy isn't doing well.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 11:26:14 PM »
As long as the Russians have nukes, NATO would likely do nothing unless Russia attacked Germany.

If we had a President who had the gonads to actually order those launch keys turned, Putin would be hesitant to risk that level of escalation.

The bozo in the White House would probably refuse to give the order and let the US eat a nuclear strike.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 11:30:14 PM »
As long as the Russians have nukes, NATO would likely do nothing unless Russia attacked Germany.

If we had a President who had the gonads to actually order those launch keys turned, Putin would be hesitant to risk that level of escalation.

The bozo in the White House would probably refuse to give the order and let the US eat a nuclear strike.

I don't think Putin would launch nukes at the US; he'd be more likely to launch at the rest of Europe.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:45:36 PM »
I don't think Putin would launch nukes at the US; he'd be more likely to launch at the rest of Europe.

The French and the British have them too, and despite how much we joke about the French, they would not hesitate the fire right back.  France actually has the third largest nuclear arsenal after the US and Russia.  Not only do they have SLBMs, but their air force and navy still have strike aircraft which can launch nuclear tipped cruise missiles.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:47:50 PM »
The French and the British have them too, and despite how much we joke about the French, they would not hesitate the fire right back.  France actually has the third largest nuclear arsenal after the US and Russia.  Not only do they have SLBMs, but their air force and navy still have strike aircraft which can launch nuclear tipped cruise missiles.

So where are those aggressive French right now?  Also, if France is known to be aggressive, they will get obliterated first, before they have a chance to try and shoot back.  Putin is as ruthless as monsieur Hollande and the other "leaders" of the NATO countries are clueless.

Online truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 11:52:57 PM »

NATO is more than Obama, and his 2.5 years remaining tenure.

To the best of my knowledge, USSR or Russia has never attacked a NATO member country.

The combined population of NATO member states is over four times the population of Russia.

Obama acts like a schoolyard punk, calling Russia a "regional power," a personal insult to Putin.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
NATO is more than Obama, and his 2.5 years remaining tenure.

To the best of my knowledge, USSR or Russia has never attacked a NATO member country.

The combined population of NATO member states is over four times the population of Russia.

Obama acts like a schoolyard punk, calling Russia a "regional power," a personal insult to Putin.

Obviously.

But that was then, and this is now.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 01:52:18 AM »
So where are those aggressive French right now?  Also, if France is known to be aggressive, they will get obliterated first, before they have a chance to try and shoot back.  Putin is as ruthless as monsieur Hollande and the other "leaders" of the NATO countries are clueless.

They are training. You don't think French forces are in CAR and Mali out of the goodness of their hearts, do you? The best way to learn war is the same as the best way to learn piano. Practice. Right now the French are practicing. They don't go much for high tech solutions, preferring the more direct approach. They learned that the hard way in the course of a thousand years of warfare.

Much has been made recently about the French building a state of the art warship for the Russians. It is indeed state of the art. Do you want to make a minor bet that they can't shut it down with a single key press?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf