Author Topic: Condi Rice Blasts Obama on Weakness, Leadership Stephen F. Hayes  (Read 788 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.weeklystandard.com/print/blogs/condi-rice-blasts-obama-weakness-leadership_786123.html

Condi Rice Blasts Obama on Weakness, Leadership
Says we can't afford to be war weary.
Stephen F. Hayes
March 27, 2014 3:45 PM

Former Secretary of State Condoleezza Rice accused Barack Obama of dramatically weakening the United States' position in the world, drawing a straight line between Obama’s ever-yielding foreign policy and the increasing troubles around the world.

“Right now, there’s a vacuum,” she told a crowd of more than two thousand attending the National Republican Congressional Committee’s annual dinner last night in Washington, D.C. “There’s a vacuum because we’ve decided to lower our voice. We’ve decided to step back. We’ve decided that if we step back and lower our voice, others will lead, other things will fill that vacuum.” Citing Bashar al Assad’s slaughter in Syria, Vladimir Putin’s aggression in Ukraine, al Qaeda’s triumphant return to Fallujah, Iraq, and China’s nationalist fervor, she concluded: “When America steps back and there is a vacuum, trouble will fill that vacuum.”

Rice – measured in tone, but very tough on substance – excoriated Obama administration policies without ever mentioning the president by name. She mocked the naïve hope that “international norms” would fill the vacuum left by U.S. retreat and blasted the president for hiding behind the weariness of the public.

“I fully understand the sense of weariness. I fully understand that we must think: ‘Us, again?’ I know that we’ve been through two wars. I know that we’ve been vigilant against terrorism. I know that it’s hard. But leaders can’t afford to get tired. Leaders can’t afford to be weary.”

Rice’s speech was the highlight of an evening that brought in $15.1 million for House Republicans. The former secretary of state has mostly limited her political appearances since leaving office to major events. She delivered a well-received speech at a donor event that Mitt Romney held in Park City, Utah, in 2012 and addressed the Republican National Convention in Tampa that summer. But those familiar with her thinking say she’s determined to help Republicans pick up the Senate and maintain the House heading into the 2016 presidential elections.

House majority whip Kevin McCarthy introduced Rice and raised the prospect that she might become even more involved in politics in two years. After listing various prestigious positions she’s held, he noted, “There’s one thing that’s not on her resume and I want her to put her mind to it to resolve that in 2016.”

Rice has downplayed those suggestions and there’s little reason to believe she’s angling for a run. Still, she has been increasingly active on behalf of her fellow Republicans. Earlier this month, Rice spoke at a Kentucky fundraiser for Senate minority leader Mitch McConnell and the spring convention for the California Republican party. Rice appeared in an ad touting Alaska Senate hopeful and Marine reservist Dan Sullivan, a spot paid for by Karl Rove’s super PAC, American Crossroads. In the coming months, she will make appearances for the National Republican Senatorial Committee.

Rice began her speech Wednesday with something of a civics lesson, praising the wisdom of the framers of the Constitution for the limits they placed on government and noting that Americans, despite being the “most individualistic people on this earth, are also the most philanthropic and communitarian.” Rice trundled through well-worn Republican lines on lower taxes and less regulation before once again touting the American system for its recognition of a “vast private space into which the government should not intrude” and a “personal space, where we respect each others’ choices.”

Before turning to foreign policy, Rice urged the crowd, including many Republican House members, to keep America a “nation of immigrants” and strafed liberals who send their kids to private schools but write New York Times op-eds claiming that school choice will ruin public schools.

But the most powerful part of her speech came when Rice expressed her frustration with Obama on national security. “As Ronald Reagan said: Peace only comes through strength,” she recalled.

“So, what are we doing? What are we doing when our defense budget is so small that our military starts to tell us that we may not be able to carry out all of the requirements put upon it? What are we doing, when a couple of weeks before Russia invades Crimea we announce that we are going to have an Army smaller than at any time since the Revolutionary – I’m sorry, not the Revolutionary War, but World War II. What are we doing? What are we doing? What are we signaling when we say that America is no longer ready to stand in the defense of freedom?”
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: Condi Rice Blasts Obama on Weakness, Leadership Stephen F. Hayes
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 08:23:57 pm »
I like her. Not as president, because I honestly think she would hate the job - she's a very private person. Grab pictures from before and after she took on StateSec and you can see that it took a lot out of her.

I want to hear more from her though. Talented, experienced, highly intelligent - of course that will all be ignored by the media since she is black and female.  :shrug:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 08:30:12 pm »
House majority whip Kevin McCarthy introduced Rice and raised the prospect that she might become even more involved in politics in two years. After listing various prestigious positions she’s held, he noted, “There’s one thing that’s not on her resume and I want her to put her mind to it to resolve that in 2016.”

Hell of a sight better then Christie. I also think one debate would show how she is not a so called Bush neo con, yet she would not let us get to where Obama has taken us on foreign policy.

Flame away but I think she could step up to the job. She has hinted she likes Rand Paul's direction of things. She would scare the bejeebies out of the progressives and they could not Alinskyize her or Uncle Tom her.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 08:39:45 pm »
Rice began her speech Wednesday with something of a civics lesson, praising the wisdom of the framers of the Constitution for the limits they placed on government and noting that Americans, despite being the “most individualistic people on this earth, are also the most philanthropic and communitarian.” Rice trundled through well-worn Republican lines on lower taxes and less regulation before once again touting the American system for its recognition of a “vast private space into which the government should not intrude” and a “personal space, where we respect each others’ choices.”

Before turning to foreign policy, Rice urged the crowd, including many Republican House members, to keep America a “nation of immigrants” and strafed liberals who send their kids to private schools but write New York Times op-eds claiming that school choice will ruin public schools.

But the most powerful part of her speech came when Rice expressed her frustration with Obama on national security. “As Ronald Reagan said: Peace only comes through strength,” she recalled.

“So, what are we doing? What are we doing when our defense budget is so small that our military starts to tell us that we may not be able to carry out all of the requirements put upon it? What are we doing, when a couple of weeks before Russia invades Crimea we announce that we are going to have an Army smaller than at any time since the Revolutionary – I’m sorry, not the Revolutionary War, but World War II. What are we doing? What are we doing? What are we signaling when we say that America is no longer ready to stand in the defense of freedom?”

Has the media attacked her yet? What is the worst they could dish on her, that she has no husband? Good, she can beat the bisexual Hilary.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 10:23:09 pm »
I like her. Not as president, because I honestly think she would hate the job - she's a very private person. Grab pictures from before and after she took on StateSec and you can see that it took a lot out of her.

I want to hear more from her though. Talented, experienced, highly intelligent - of course that will all be ignored by the media since she is black and female.  :shrug: 

I'd like to hear more from her too; but on international/defense issues only.  That's her strength.  And we need her voice on these issues  now more than ever.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 10:35:28 pm »
I'd like to hear more from her too; but on international/defense issues only.  That's her strength.  And we need her voice on these issues  now more than ever.

You gave me a sudden, nasty thought.

She is not just strong on those issues, she's damned smart, knows both the briefing material and the stuff she's picked up by actually paying attention forwards, backwards and sideways. She knows, bone deep, that foreign policy is the art of the knife, not the club. Not over praising her, most folk to the right get that.

Then you see the Worm. Speaks loudly and carries a toothpick, as far as other countries go. That has GOT to be deliberate. Nice thought before bed time - thanks!  :whistle:

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »
Condi is smart and tough as nails. She has never held elective office and the presidency is not the place to start but we need people like her at high level appointments and office.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 11:28:39 pm »
Condi is smart and tough as nails. She has never held elective office and the presidency is not the place to start but we need people like her at high level appointments and office.

Smart - agreed. Tough? Not so sure - not judging her words or her courage, but she likes her privacy and has made that very clear. She would hate the goldfish bowl of being president.

Me - I'd put her as head of either the NSA or DoD. Works to her strengths.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2014, 12:01:17 am »

She would make someone an amazing Veep, in the tradition of Dick Cheney...

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #9 on: March 28, 2014, 12:04:19 am »
You gave me a sudden, nasty thought.

She is not just strong on those issues, she's damned smart, knows both the briefing material and the stuff she's picked up by actually paying attention forwards, backwards and sideways. She knows, bone deep, that foreign policy is the art of the knife, not the club. Not over praising her, most folk to the right get that.

Then you see the Worm. Speaks loudly and carries a toothpick, as far as other countries go. That has GOT to be deliberate. Nice thought before bed time - thanks!  :whistle:

I think she is very qualified to be President. She would be ran-off like Rudy was because of social issues. Another dark horse contender I wish would run is Jon Voight. People will say he needs political experience yet they despise the politics of Washington.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9hWaEWTRNFs

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X8H8gVas7zE

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #10 on: March 28, 2014, 12:44:30 am »
She would make someone an amazing Veep, in the tradition of Dick Cheney...

I agree with you but I doubt she would ever be interested. There is something about the political arena she doesn't care for. Probably too decent to get very involved with it. Cabinet position or some such spot is perfect for her. One of the more competent people in gov't in a long while regardless of what one thinks of her positions

Online Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2014, 12:53:47 am »
Gazoo wrote above:
[[ I think she is very qualified to be President.. ]]

Really?
What elected office has she yet won?

Is this the same gal who was, not long ago, fawning over the guy who's president?
Who may have even voted for him?

She's Colin Powell in a skirt.

I'm gonna get razzed for this, but I'm simply not interested in voting for a black for the presidency. I don't see how even a conservative black could represent the majority of Americans. Call me a racist if you wish, with me, it's like water off a duck's back.

BTW, after you've said that, you might be interested to know that I happily voted for Gary Franks to be my congressman. Can't recall if it was twice or three times. He was the Republican candidate here. He was also a black guy.

Offline xfreeper

« Reply #12 on: March 28, 2014, 01:01:30 am »

**nononono*

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #13 on: March 28, 2014, 01:25:16 am »
Gazoo wrote above:
[[ I think she is very qualified to be President.. ]]

Really?
What elected office has she yet won?

Is this the same gal who was, not long ago, fawning over the guy who's president?
Who may have even voted for him?

I'm gonna get razzed for this, but I'm simply not interested in voting for a black for the presidency. I don't see how even a conservative black could represent the majority of Americans. Call me a racist if you wish, with me, it's like water off a duck's back.

BTW, after you've said that, you might be interested to know that I happily voted for Gary Franks to be my congressman. Can't recall if it was twice or three times. He was the Republican candidate here. He was also a black guy.

I think calling her Powell in a skirt is going a bit too far. I happen to think a conservative black could represent Americans. I think Allen West would be ideal.  I also think a conservative woman would as well. I would not assume if I were you, that Ms. Rice is an Obama supporter. Stick with who's turn it is next and make sure it is a white guy. I happen to think that politically, this attitude will have us all hearing Madame President Clinton.

I think it is high time we had a woman President but I will walk through glass to ensure it is not Hillary. Baby steps is all we have. No perfect candidate is going to clean up DC and dismantle the alphabet big gov agencies AND become President anytime soon. It is vital that the democrats do not win and continue full marxist communism in America. A woman, black conservative, or strong military leader will be the only way we win, like it or not. Even if one of the candidates currently running, does superb in the debates the media will take them down and Hillary will use Obama's get out the vote cheat machine. Non political junkies don't know what we know about Hillary. We need to fight fire with fire this time or we need God and a miracle. That is how I feel, so flame away. It is what it is.