Author Topic: Rep. Gohmert: ‘Shocked’ that a Supreme Court Justice Would Suggest Paying a Penalty to Keep Your Religious Freedom  (Read 822 times)

Offline happyg

Rep. Louie Gohmert (TX-01) released the following statement after oral arguments before Supreme Court regarding Obamacare’s denial of the right to practice the religious beliefs held by family business owners:

Today is truly a crucial day for religious liberty and whether those rights will remain viable under our Constitution. It is for this reason that I felt compelled to listen to the oral arguments at the Supreme Court building. Clearly, every American should be free to live and work in accordance to their peaceable religious beliefs without having to beg the government to allow them to do so.

Yet, today I was shocked and grieved to hear a Supreme Court Justice, in essence, ask why not just pay the penalty and then you don’t have to violate your religious beliefs. Unbelievable! The power to tax is the power to destroy. If the federal government has the power to force anyone to pay a tax or penalty to observe religious beliefs, then they have the power to make the penalty so high the government can ‘prohibit the free exercise’ of those firmly held religious beliefs –precisely what the Constitution guarantees it cannot do.

I also heard the official representative of the U.S. government, that has indicted and convicted corporations of intentionally committing criminal conduct, basically say that a corporation could not have religious beliefs. If a corporation can form the intent to commit a crime, it can certainly have the intent to observe the religious beliefs of its owners, officers, and directors.

Hobby Lobby has provided its employees fantastic heath insurance including most contraceptives –just not the four that can cause the death of a growing unborn child, though the four were put on a required list by unelected bureaucrats. Sadly, under this administration, religious freedom has been under attack and our rights continue to be removed or penalized day by day.

Though paying a subjugating monetary fee to practice Christianity or Jewish faith is required under Sharia law, it is supposed to be unconstitutional to do so under our Constitution. Yet, now we must wait to see if the Supreme Court will allow a business to observe the religious beliefs of its owners. It is my prayer that religious liberty will be upheld in the Supreme Court.

http://www.tpnn.com/2014/03/26/congressman-gohmert-shocked-that-a-supreme-court-justice-would-suggest-paying-a-penalty-to-keep-your-religious-freedom/

Oceander

that was a perfectly legitimate question by the Justice and this dope should stop trying to grandstand on it.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
One man's "religious freedom" to not provide employees with contraception in their employee benefits package, is another man's "religious freedom" to mutilate his daughter's genitals, kill her for being raped, or engage in a polygamous marriage.

The Southern Baptist faith supported slavery, later segregation. The South was prejudiced against  Catholics and Jews.

The descendant and similar denominations have no standing in my mind to dictate national civil laws.

« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:52:19 am by truth_seeker »
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Well, the New Mexico Supreme Court already said that the price of citizenship is giving up one's religious freedom.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Congressman Gohmert, get with the program, it is called indulgences. Oh wait... never mind...

Oceander

Well, the New Mexico Supreme Court already said that the price of citizenship is giving up one's religious freedom.

huh?

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
that was a perfectly legitimate question by the Justice and this dope should stop trying to grandstand on it.

Really?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

rangerrebew

I assume this to mean the religious freedom of Christians but not muslims.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
I assume this to mean the religious freedom of Christians but not muslims.
Correct.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
The Pope schooled Obama on religious freedom and Obamacare. Think he listened? Obama's Papal photo op will fail him.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?