Author Topic: Imperial trappings for an empty suit  (Read 596 times)

Offline happyg

Imperial trappings for an empty suit
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:15:20 am »
When President Obama visited Russia in 2009, his hosts, as I  reported at the time, found Obama laughably naive. Indeed, they were astonished to find an American president looking for things to give away to Russia in exchange for “good will.” The Russian leadership concluded, in the prophetic words of my source, that they could “steal Obama’s pants.”

The Russians also had a good laugh at Obama’s imperial trappings. These included the flotilla of Air Force jets that brought him and his entourage to Moscow and the takeover of the Ritz Carlton hotel, where (I was told) rooms started at around $1,200 per night and the presidential suite went for $13,000. Russians were mindful that Presidents Clinton and Bush had traveled far less lavishly.

It was, I suspect, the jarring juxtaposition of the two phenomena — a president who travels like Julius Caesar but negotiates like Neville Chamberlain — that most amused Russia’s oligarchs. Like the way the juxtaposition of Greek columns and platitudinous mush amused (but also dismayed) observant Americans.

If Obama and his entourage roar into your town in armored limos and take over the fanciest hotel, no disconnect will exist. There is not the slightest inconsistency between the president’s imperial trappings and his domestic policies.

But when Obama visits important foreign leaders, other than Benjamin Netanyahu, he should arrive by scooter wearing a beany, if not a “kick me” sign. Or at a minimum, he should arrive the way Dutch Prime Minister  Mark Rutte did for his meeting with Obama.

Paul Mirengoff: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/03/imperial-trappings-for-an-empty-suit.php

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Imperial trappings for an empty suit
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:17:34 am »

:beer:

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:20:35 am »

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:24:17 am »
Just for those who're curious, here's how Dutch PM Mark Rutte arrived at his meeting with Obastard:

And here's what one author on National Review had to say about this:
By Kevin D. Williamson

Barack Obama showed up at his meeting with Dutch PM Mark Rutte with his usual caravan of armored limousines and the like. Here’s how Mr. Rutte got there:

Dutch leaders not only are better at republican manners than ours are — no caesaropapist trappings for Mr. Rutte — but also offer a standing rebuke to American cultural practices by reminding us that it is possible to ride a bicycle without special shoes, a helmet, or spandex.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:26:35 am by Oceander »

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:34:18 am »

For all of its references, that is positively brilliant.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline aligncare

« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:48:39 pm »
When President Obama visited Russia in 2009, his hosts, as I  reported at the time, found Obama laughably naive. Indeed, they were astonished to find an American president looking for things to give away to Russia in exchange for “good will.” The Russian leadership concluded, in the prophetic words of my source, that they could “steal Obama’s pants.”

The Russians also had a good laugh at Obama’s imperial trappings. These included the flotilla of Air Force jets that brought him and his entourage to Moscow and the takeover of the Ritz Carlton hotel, where (I was told) rooms started at around $1,200 per night and the presidential suite went for $13,000. Russians were mindful that Presidents Clinton and Bush had traveled far less lavishly.

It was, I suspect, the jarring juxtaposition of the two phenomena — a president who travels like Julius Caesar but negotiates like Neville Chamberlain — that most amused Russia’s oligarchs. Like the way the juxtaposition of Greek columns and platitudinous mush amused (but also dismayed) observant Americans.

If Obama and his entourage roar into your town in armored limos and take over the fanciest hotel, no disconnect will exist. There is not the slightest inconsistency between the president’s imperial trappings and his domestic policies.

But when Obama visits important foreign leaders, other than Benjamin Netanyahu, he should arrive by scooter wearing a beany, if not a “kick me” sign. Or at a minimum, he should arrive the way Dutch Prime Minister  Mark Rutte did for his meeting with Obama.

Paul Mirengoff: http://www.powerlineblog.com/archives/2014/03/imperial-trappings-for-an-empty-suit.php

I suspect HISTORY will not be kind to Mr. Obama. Unless, of course, the account is written by Michael Beschloss—then you'll be surprised to learn that Obama cured leprosy, balanced the world economy, and made mom jeans fashionable.

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:55:01 pm »
History is inevitably written by the winners, as Napoleon famously observed. He also said: “In politics, stupidity is not a handicap.”
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn