Author Topic: Permanent’ custody of Justina Pelletier awarded to Mass.  (Read 1477 times)

Offline Millee

Permanent’ custody of Justina Pelletier awarded to Mass.
« on: March 25, 2014, 09:15:15 pm »

In what appears to be a major setback to the parents of a Connecticut teenager in the middle of a long-running custody dispute, a Massachusetts juvenile court judge Tuesday issued a ruling giving “permanent” custody of Justina Pelletier to the state Department of Children and Families, which then leaves it up to the agency to decide if or when she should be returned back home.

The decision by Judge Joseph Johnston came in response to a motion, presented by the 15-year-old’s court-appointed lawyer and the lawyers for her parents, Linda and Lou Pelletier of West Hartford, Conn., which called for the parents to be awarded “conditional custody” of their daughter.

The Department of Children and Families took emergency custody of the teen on Valentine’s Day 2013 after a diagnostic dispute arose between doctors at Tufts Medical Center and Boston Children’s Hospital over the causes of her medical problems, including difficulty eating and walking.

Tufts doctors had been treating Pelletier for mitochondrial disease, a group of rare genetic disorders affecting cellular energy production, but physicians at Children’s concluded that her symptoms were largely psychiatric in origin. Her parents rejected the new diagnosis, and when they tried to move the girl back to Tufts, the Children’s team notified the state that it suspected the parents of medical child abuse.

Pelletier remained at Children’s for almost a year, most of the time in a locked psychiatric ward, and meanwhile the case gained national attention.

In late January, she was moved to a residential facility in Framingham, Wayside Youth and Family Support Network, though she continues to be treated by Children’s doctors on an outpatient basis. The parties in the case finalized a plan this week.

http://www.bostonglobe.com/lifestyle/health-wellness/2014/03/25/permanent-custody-justina-pelletier-awarded-state-massachusetts/puyPhesGkKE6rGLid2VM2L/story.html

This makes me sick.   **nononono*

Online mountaineer

Re: Permanent’ custody of Justina Pelletier awarded to Mass.
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 09:18:05 pm »
This is insane, but what should we expect anymore in a world where your children are not your own?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 09:19:38 pm »
This is insane, but what should we expect anymore in a world where your children are not your own?

Sooner or later this upside down world needs to be righted. You're right, this is insane!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Millee

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 09:23:35 pm »

My heart just breaks for this girl and her family.  I can't believe they can do this. 

Offline happyg

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 09:42:28 pm »
Where is Tuft's on this? Why isn't the hospital defending itself and the family? Is there something we don't know? This poor family is a sign of things to come if judges can take children from their families with no justifiable cause.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 09:56:12 pm »
Where is Tuft's on this? Why isn't the hospital defending itself and the family? Is there something we don't know? This poor family is a sign of things to come if judges can take children from their families with no justifiable cause.

It's a weird illness. Really rare. There is a chance they got the diagnosis wrong (unlikely, considering Ms. Pelletier was doing just fine under their care and is now confined to a wheelchair, but it can't be ruled out.) Unlike House, who is rarely wrong and always gets his own way, hospital administrators tend to be risk averse bean counters.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online rustynail

« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:15:27 pm »
Thought  Glen Beck was helping the family with legal assistance. Guess he was just running his mouth.

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 10:17:44 pm »
Thought  Glen Beck was helping the family with legal assistance. Guess he was just running his mouth.
Bingo 
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline happyg

« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 10:22:14 pm »
It's a weird illness. Really rare. There is a chance they got the diagnosis wrong (unlikely, considering Ms. Pelletier was doing just fine under their care and is now confined to a wheelchair, but it can't be ruled out.) Unlike House, who is rarely wrong and always gets his own way, hospital administrators tend to be risk averse bean counters.

My son's stepson has mitochondrial diseases. It includes many types of symptoms. He was diagnosed by the NIH.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 10:42:21 pm »
Sooner or later this upside down world needs to be righted. You're right, this is insane!

That would require people willing to right things again.  It doesn't happen with crossing one's arms and blinking.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 10:51:09 pm »
That would require people willing to right things again.  It doesn't happen with crossing one's arms and blinking.

I hear you loud and clear. I am not of the "crossing arms and blinking" temperament, either.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 11:00:35 pm »
I'll cross my arms. Prefer to keep it pointing 20 degrees down - saves cleaning it if it rains and ready in an instant.  :whistle:

Yet, no. This is not time for the gun. This is time for the ballot. Start with the schools. Then the town halls. Land commissioners. Sheriffs. Dog catchers. Then the states. Then the nation. It took the left a long time to get here, doing exactly that. No harm in "borrowing" their tactics.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2014, 11:02:51 pm »
I'll cross my arms. Prefer to keep it pointing 20 degrees down - saves cleaning it if it rains and ready in an instant.  :whistle:

Yet, no. This is not time for the gun. This is time for the ballot. Start with the schools. Then the town halls. Land commissioners. Sheriffs. Dog catchers. Then the states. Then the nation. It took the left a long time to get here, doing exactly that. No harm in "borrowing" their tactics.

I always get a kick out of your input, brother.  :beer:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2014, 11:12:16 pm »
 :beer:

Embrace the suck, right?

Offline Howie66

« Reply #14 on: March 25, 2014, 11:18:42 pm »
:beer:

Embrace the suck, right?
Phuquin'-A!

Offline Charlespg

« Reply #15 on: March 25, 2014, 11:26:54 pm »

names ,faces  info  on the doctors and those involved , splash it all over the interweb ,keep them looking over their shoulders
Rather Trump Then Cackles Clinton

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #16 on: March 25, 2014, 11:55:51 pm »
names ,faces  info  on the doctors and those involved , splash it all over the interweb ,keep them looking over their shoulders

Jump in - this foxhole is big enough for two. Though you are not getting my peanut butter and crackers. Those are sacred!  :beer:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #17 on: March 26, 2014, 12:57:06 am »
This girl and her family need our prayers.  What I can't understand is how does the State of Massachusetts has any jurisdiction over a Connecticut family?
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #18 on: March 26, 2014, 12:59:52 am »
This girl and her family need our prayers.  What I can't understand is how does the State of Massachusetts has any jurisdiction over a Connecticut family?

Because the girl was in a Massachusetts hospital at the time the doctors there decided to get the state to play kidnap conspiracy with them.

Offline happyg

« Reply #19 on: March 26, 2014, 01:07:47 am »

He is still providing attorneys. They are appealing the judge's decision.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #20 on: March 26, 2014, 01:24:44 am »
Because the girl was in a Massachusetts hospital at the time the doctors there decided to get the state to play kidnap conspiracy with them.

Incredible!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: March 26, 2014, 01:49:15 am »
Incredible!

Not really.  It's an ages' old rule of jurisdiction - if one is physically present within the boundaries of a given state, then one is subject to the jurisdiction of that state.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #22 on: March 26, 2014, 01:57:30 am »

He paid for the parent's lawyers but the State appointed one of its own lawyer to represent the child.

Online mountaineer

« Reply #23 on: March 26, 2014, 02:10:22 pm »
From The Blaze: Leaked: Four Key Details Directly From Judge’s ‘Huge’ Custody Ruling in Justina Pelletier Case
...  Here are four key details from the document:

4. The judge argues that “credible psychiatric and medical evidence” suggests that Justina Pelletier suffers from a “persistent and severe Somatic Symptom Disorder,” not mitochondrial disease as she was diagnosed with previously.

Justina “is a child in need of care and protection… due to the conduct and inability of her parents, Linda Pelletier and Lou Pelletier, to provide for Justina’s necessary and proper physical, mental, and emotional development,” the ruling states.

3. Justina’s parents “significantly hampered” DCF’s efforts to find a “suitable placement” for the girl, according to the ruling. The parents, obviously, want their daughter to come home with them instead.

“While Justina was at Children’s Hospital, the parents were verbally abusive to Justina’s hospital providers. Family members of other patients complained that Justina’s parents stated their children were being kidnapped by Children’s Hospital,” the ruling says. “They threatened to call the F.B.I. They called hospital personnel “Nazis” and claimed the hospital was punishing and killing Justina.”

The court also accuses the parents of using “profanity” directed at DCF personnel.

2. The judge has determined “placement of Justina in the conditional custody of her parents is not in her best interests at this time.”

Judge Johnston officially ordered Justina into the custody of DCF, “subject to the parties’ right to review and redetermination” six months from the adjudication on Dec. 20, 2013.

1. Psychological and clinical evaluations of Justina’s parents, Lou and Linda Pelletier, are “necessary.”

However, the judge declined to order the evaluations to be conducted by the Boston Juvenile Court Clinic.

“These are evaluations, along with other services, that must be coordinated by the CT DCF for this Connecticut facility,” the order states.
Click on link for more
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline olde north church

« Reply #24 on: March 26, 2014, 04:26:35 pm »
You know, some act like this is something new.  They have been doing this to Christian Scientists and others who don't believe in blood transfusions and other medical procedures preferring prayer.
This is nothing more than the "they came for the Jews and I did nothing" mentality and karma is a bitch with bacon.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.