Author Topic: [Updated] Number of people listed as missing in Washington state landslide at 90+  (Read 1525 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Number of people listed as missing in Washington state landslide rises to 176

ARLINGTON, Washington (Reuters) - The number of people listed as missing from a devastating Washington state landslide that has killed at least 14 people rose on Monday to 176 from 108, Snohomish County emergency management director John Pennington said.

http://news.yahoo.com/number-people-listed-missing-washington-state-landslide-rises-015952035--finance.html

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:19:24 pm by DCPatriot »
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Wow!   

From twelve confirmed dead...which is a tragedy by itself...the number of missing at 176  is mind numbing. 

Just saw where somebody rescued a four year-old boy.  The only survivor of his family.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline NavyCanDo

Photos of some of the Missing.    Such nice looking faces, how very sad this is.

http://www.kirotv.com/gallery/news/photos-people-reported-missing-snohomish-county-mu/gCJmJ/#4810095
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline flowers

just awful yet msm still on the plane.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline flowers

The incredible moment Buddy the Labrador was found ALIVE among the rubble of his family's home after Washington mudslide

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2589076/The-incredible-moment-Buddy-dog-rubble-familys-destroyed-home-Washington-mudslide.html

The Kuntz family were out at a baseball game on Saturday and were shocked to return to find their home completely destroyed
They had left their dog Buddy and their cat inside the home - which had traveled around 100 feet down the mountain
When they returned the next day to see what they could salvage, they heard whimpering and found Buddy unscathed
It came as a moment of joy for the family, who lost an aunt in the slid

Offline flowers

Geologists warned about Washington landslide 15 years ago: Before and after shots clearly show the lethal geography that has worried experts since 1999 as DOZENS are feared dead

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2588991/Incredible-shots-sheer-devastation-caused-Washington-landslide-wiped-entire-community-left-14-dead.html

Landslide tore through Snohomish County 55 miles north of Seattle, Washington state, on Saturday at 11am
At least 14 dead, several others injured and 176 people are missing - including entire families
Fears that many students of Post Middle School in Arlington could be among the victims
Around 100 crews searching for survivors; teams using search dogs, sonar devices, hover craft, and air support
Several people critically injured, around 30 homes destroyed, debris blocked one-mile stretch of State Route 530
Geologists Daniel Miller and Lynne Rodgers Miller reveal they warned of 'potential for catastrophe' in 1999 report
But Snohomish County Department of Emergency Management told press conference: 'it was considered very safe'
Further rain over next few days expected to hamper rescue efforts

Offline mountaineer

:0001: very sad.
The photo appears to be this man:
A Navy chief petty officer and 2001 graduate of Chartiers-Houston Junior/Senior High, along with three of his children, are among the missing after a massive landslide Saturday, near Oso, Wash., the Navy confirmed.

Billy Spillers, a Navy career counselor assigned to the Puget Sound Naval Shipyard and Intermediate Maintenance Facility detachment in Everett, Wash., and his children are "currently listed as unaccounted for in the wake of the tragic mudslide," a Naval spokeswoman wrote in an e-mail. ...

Chief Petty Officer Spillers' relatives and friends could not immediately be reached, but social media posts from his wife, Jonielle Spillers, who was not home when the landslide hit, indicate the family lived on Steelhead Drive, near the center of the area devastated by the slide.

"I am not giving up and I know they will find my babies and husband today," Ms. Spillers posted on Facebook. "Please pray for all of us. This has affected so many great people I know. Steelhead Drive family, they are coming for you today. Hold guys, someone will find you ... Billy and kids hold on, I love you and we are waiting for you for as long as it takes. Stay strong honey." ...

http://www.post-gazette.com/local/washington/2014/03/24/Western-Pa-high-school-grad-among-missing-in-Washington-landslide/stories/201403240201#ixzz2x0j3l0iz
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
I find it interesting that the coverage of this event by the UK Daily Mail (linked in post above) seems better-put-together than anything I've yet seen from American news sources.

Why is that?

Offline NavyCanDo

We in Western WA just had a live update.   2 more bodies pulled out today bringing the total recovered bodies to 16.   Another 8 bodies have been found but not yet recovered.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
My older sister lives in Silverdale and said she's shocked at how little coverage the US media is paying attention to this.

Everything is either Obama/Putin/Ukraine or MH370.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
We in Western WA just had a live update.   2 more bodies pulled out today bringing the total recovered bodies to 16.   Another 8 bodies have been found but not yet recovered.

yah...pretty grim.  I was just reading on account from a group of loggers who are up there with heavy equipment removing trees and other debris, and they are talking about working around orange flags marking bodies to be recovered, and finding people by parts of their bodies sticking out of the muck.  These guys have never been involved with something of this magnitude and they are just slogging along doing what they have to.

God be with them all.

The worst part is that they have known about landslides in this area for a long time.  The area was known as "Hazel Slide" or something like that locally....

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Anyone remember the lahar caused by the Nevado del Ruiz volcano which buried a town and killed 25,000 back in 1985?  While a much smaller scale, the images are very similar.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

Anyone remember the lahar caused by the Nevado del Ruiz volcano which buried a town and killed 25,000 back in 1985?  While a much smaller scale, the images are very similar.

That would be lower than the number killed if Mount Rainer ever unleashed a lahar. Most lahars form during volcanic eruptions, but landslides can also produce lahars and that is what worries geologist most about the mountain. Large landslides, known as flank collapses, can produce lahars. The Electron Mudflow of approximately 500 years ago occurred without an accompanying eruption. The western flank of Mount Rainier collapsed and slid into the Puyallup River valley, where it transformed into a lahar and flowed 60 miles  downstream.  It may have failed due to earthquake shaking, or it could have collapsed after an extended period of slope creep.
The Electron Mudflow reminds us of the possibility that, occasionally, lahars may have non-eruption origins and occur with little conventional volcanic warning.

Offline mountaineer

My older sister lives in Silverdale and said she's shocked at how little coverage the US media is paying attention to this.

Everything is either Obama/Putin/Ukraine or MH370.
This is just flyover country to the news networks, I suspect.  **nononono*

Offline flowers

VIDEO: Helicopter rescues 4-year-old from Wash. mudslide

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/26/video-helicopter-rescues-4-year-old-boy-washington/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

ARLINGTON, Wash. — Video from the Snohomish County Helicopter Rescue Team shows the rescue of a 4-year-old boy from the Oso mudslide.

When the slide hit their house Saturday, Jacob Spillers was home with his father, Billy Spillers and three siblings — 13-year-old half-brother Jovon Mangual, 5-year-old Kaylee Spillers, and 2-year-old Brooke Spillers.

PHOTOS: Mudslide searchers press on with dogs, bare hands

His mother, Jonielle Spillers, was at her job as a nursing assistant.

The Seattle Times reports Jovon’s father, Jose Mangual, is an Army staff sergeant. He says the Spillers moved from Seattle to Oso about two years ago. Billy Spillers is a chief petty officer stationed at Naval Station Everett.

Jose Mangual told The Seattle Times Jacob told him he was on the second floor and able to get out when nobody else could. He’s been reunited with his mother.

Online DCPatriot

VIDEO: Helicopter rescues 4-year-old from Wash. mudslide

http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/mar/26/video-helicopter-rescues-4-year-old-boy-washington/?utm_source=RSS_Feed&utm_medium=RSS

Thanks, Flowers!  That's the event to which I referred, in reply #1 herein.   :beer:

There's a helluva lot more heart wrenching stories to be found in this mudslide than anything else currently on page 1.

Offline mountaineer

That's the family I referenced above (with photo).   **nononono*

Online DCPatriot

That's the family I referenced above (with photo).   **nononono*

Can you imagine the trauma those two will carry for the rest of their lives?  Mom and 4 year old son is all that's left of what was her existence.

That and her job.....which saved her life.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
I've been checking news outlets all day, and while they keep saying they hope to pare down that list of missing people, that has not happened yet.  This is an incredibly grim task, and as bad as things are up there I fear they may not find a lot of these people for a long time; maybe not ever for some.

Has anyone asked the Governor for assistance??  How about a disaster declaration??

Offline NavyCanDo

I've been checking news outlets all day, and while they keep saying they hope to pare down that list of missing people, that has not happened yet.  This is an incredibly grim task, and as bad as things are up there I fear they may not find a lot of these people for a long time; maybe not ever for some.

Has anyone asked the Governor for assistance??  How about a disaster declaration??

Yes on both. Even though the Governor is a Democrat I have to give him credit for acting quickly. National Guard was mobilized and on sight yesterday with their helicopters and heavy equipment.
My wife knows one of the cadaver dog trainers/owners who is at the location.  He comes into her dental office often to pick up pulled teeth that they save for him. They used human teeth for training and qualifying the dogs.

Offline NavyCanDo

We just had the nightly 6PM press conference. They were hoping to reconcile the number of missing by tonight, and to the best of their ability they have.  140 names on that list of 176 have been located and are safe. But the number of missing is 90 and it is not expected to drop again.

Here is the update  3/26 update

90 Currently missing.
These are people known to live, where visiting,  or known to be traversing through the area that have not been found, reported in, or identified.  This is a solid list of names and valid number they feel.

35 Unknown
These is a soft figure. the fictitious example they gave is someone would say Bill who lived on Steelhead drive had a girlfriend who sometimes would drop over, but nobody could verify she was there or knew her name.

24 Dead, which is 16 they recovered and the 8 bodies discovered yesterday that have not yet been retrieved.  It is assumed these 8 bodies are among those 90 missing. 
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:23:10 am by NavyCanDo »

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Yes on both. Even though the Governor is a Democrat I have to give him credit for acting quickly. National Guard was mobilized and on sight yesterday with their helicopters and heavy equipment.
My wife knows one of the cadaver dog trainers/owners who is at the location.  He comes into her dental office often to pick up pulled teeth that they save for him. They used human teeth for training and qualifying the dogs.

Good!  I'm glad to hear that, and our local media here in SW Washington has had virtually no details.  About all we get is the AP feed and that's it.

Thanks for the update.  We've been following it and the wife and I are both just horrified.

Offline NavyCanDo

Good!  I'm glad to hear that, and our local media here in SW Washington has had virtually no details.  About all we get is the AP feed and that's it.

Thanks for the update.  We've been following it and the wife and I are both just horrified.

You can't get KOMO, KIRO news there? Sounds like you're off the grid.

Offline NavyCanDo

Heartbreaking Video. 78-year old gives the story of his rescue. Sadly his wife was killed.

Landslide survivor: 'I just kept digging and digging and digging'

http://www.komonews.com/news/local/Landslide-survivor-I-just-kept-digging-and-digging-and-digging-252560411.html

DARRINGTON, Wash. -- Mac McPherson said it sounded like a tornado when the weekend landslide slammed into his house, killing his wife and wiping out his home.

The 78-year-old is now out of the hospital, but he said he won't have peace until he's allowed to return to the site where he lost everything.

McPherson and his wife, Linda, were sitting in their living room reading the paper when the world came crashing down.

"There's this horrendous noise and all the trees were going like this and the noise kept getting louder and louder and then the worst noise you ever heard occurred," McPherson said.

The couple's beloved family farm in Darrington was ripped apart. Beams, trees, rafters, stove pipes and mud trapped McPherson in his crushed mission chair.

"I kept yelling at Linda to dig," he said.

He was able to grab a piece of wood from his broken chair to begin digging himself out of the wreckage.

"I was all balled up, but this one hand was free and I had a stick," he said. "So I just kept digging and digging and digging with this stick until I could see a light and shoved that sucker up through there. And started waving it back and forth."

Rescuers saw that waving piece of wood and used a chainsaw to free McPherson from the rubble. As soon as he was above ground, he asked about his wife.

"I was asking how come you're not digging her out," he said.

Linda, who he had been married to for 45 years, didn't make it out. McPherson suffered some compression injuries and nasty cuts, but he's expected to be fine. Only one of his two dogs survived the slide.

McPherson said he was shocked to see how far his house had traveled in the slide.

"I mean that sucker went 150 yards," he said. "It went through the back yard into a hollow up the hollow and all the way to the machine shed."

McPherson is now back to where he was when he first met Linda, when everything he owned could fit in a bag. He's not sure how he'll start over again.

"Ain't no way in Hell I'll ever build a house under a mountain again, especially not that mountain," he said.