Author Topic: Glenn Beck Review: Noah a $100 million disaster  (Read 989 times)

Offline NavyCanDo

Glenn Beck Review: Noah a $100 million disaster
« on: March 25, 2014, 01:21:59 am »

‘Babylonian Chainsaw Massacre’: Glenn reviews Noah after attending screening in LA

http://www.glennbeck.com/2014/03/24/babylonian-chainsaw-massacre-glenn-reviews-noah-after-attending-screening-in-la/

SNIP....
"Giant rock people appear at almost the beginning of the movie, kind of like the tree people in Lord of the Rings, except not as well done and of course made of rock. Not quite as talkative. I suppose they won’t burn as easily as the tree people, but… don’t bother checking on the scriptural reference to the rock people…

Have you ever wondered, ‘Hey, how did Noah clear the forest that just sprung up?’ Of course the rock people that God sent down as spirits. Then they were encased in lava, and then they got up, they’re like, ‘Oh, we are watchers. We help Adam. We help you now too.’ You’re like honestly? I felt really bad, because as the rock people story line continued, we all got giggling fits and we started to laugh and mock the movie."
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Re: Glenn Beck Review: Noah a $100 million disaster
« Reply #1 on: March 25, 2014, 01:28:39 am »
Hollywood's idea of biblical?  I heard that the name of God isn't mentioned in the movie, not even once!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2014, 01:30:03 am »
As my friends and I said when we saw the first trailer, "it could be really good or really bad."

I had the feeling it would be "really bad" and it sounds like I was right.  Won't be on my list to go see.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 01:36:32 am »
Understanding that Hollywood takes some liberties with Biblical movies I was tempted to see it.    I'm sure the real Story was not exactly the homogenized story you learned in Sunday School, and there was a lot more to why God needed to start over, but Rock People?  really?
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:51 am »
Once adrift it turns into the movie The Shining, and Noah is trying to kill his family, breaking down doors to get to them and all in some murder suicide attempt. His reason is that God only wanted him to save the animals and once that deed was done there was no longer any need for humans. (man bad  - animals good)

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 03:21:09 am »
Understanding that Hollywood takes some liberties with Biblical movies I was tempted to see it.    I'm sure the real Story was not exactly the homogenized story you learned in Sunday School, and there was a lot more to why God needed to start over, but Rock People?  really?

There was no "real story."  There was no Noah.

Old Testament writers adopted the Gilgamesh epic to deal with a great flood.  All the characters and the narrative are adaptive.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2014, 10:55:51 am »
I'm not hearing anything good about this.....

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #7 on: March 25, 2014, 06:39:03 pm »

Old Testament writers adopted the Gilgamesh epic to deal with a great flood.  All the characters and the narrative are adaptive.

That is your opinion. You and others who believe the same could not prove there wasn’t a Noah, no more than I can change your mind that there was.   
And I'm not sure it matters if there was an actual man named Noah and the Ark God told him to build.  I believe there was.    But there was a flood. Even in your narrative you admit to the historical significance of a flood of the then populated area of the planet if not the entire globe.  If you believe in God, then at least you have to believe in His part of the story and His plan to restore the relationship with man.  If you don’t believe in God then , well your strong stance against  Noah is explained.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 25, 2014, 06:58:50 pm »

Prove it. barrel of sunshine.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:30 pm »

And where did the Gilgamesh epic come from? Thin air?

The Bible admits that Abraham's predecessors lived in Babylonia (the Euphrates is even mentioned in the creation narrative), so of course Gilgamesh (the only text from that era that survives) would have been among the sources the Bible writers used.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 11:05:50 pm »
As for the "rock people," the Noah narrative mentions "nephilim," typically conceived as giants. They weren't good guys, though. They were the bastard children of spirits who raped women.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2014, 11:58:14 pm »
As for the "rock people," the Noah narrative mentions "nephilim," typically conceived as giants. They weren't good guys, though. They were the bastard children of spirits who raped women.

I heard a sermon on the nephilim the other day.  The offspring of the "sons of God" or angels that fell with Satan, who lusted after the "daughters of men" according to Genesis 6:4

"The Nephilim were on the earth in those days—and also afterward—when the sons of God went to the daughters of humans and had children by them. They were the heroes of old, men of renown."  (In other words super humans or demigods admired by humans)  And it was this super human race of beings that many Bible scholars believe is what took the peoples eyes off God and onto their new heroes these demigods. Sounds a bit like Greek mythology, don't it? And the human race went down hill from there. 

5 The Lord saw how great the wickedness of the human race had become on the earth, and that every inclination of the thoughts of the human heart was only evil all the time. 6 The Lord regretted that he had made human beings on the earth, and his heart was deeply troubled. 7 So the Lord said, “I will wipe from the face of the earth the human race I have created—and with them the animals, the birds and the creatures that move along the ground—for I regret that I have made them.” 8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the Lord.