Author Topic: GWAR frontman Dave Brockie — aka ‘Oderus Urungus’ — found dead in Richmond, Va., home: police  (Read 619 times)

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Spanning the Globe.....

http://www.nydailynews.com/entertainment/music-arts/gwar-founder-dave-brockie-found-dead-richmond-va-home-article-1.1731787

The 50-year-old Brockie — founder and lead singer for the heavy metal band — was found dead inside his home on Sunday. Police did not immediately suspect foul play, but an autopsy was scheduled to determine a cause of death.

The founder and lead vocalist for the heavy metal band GWAR was found dead in his Virginia home on Sunday, police said.

The body of Dave Brockie, 50 — who performed under the name of “Oderus Urungus” for the absurdly grotesque hardcore band — was found inside his Richmond home shortly before 7 p.m., a police spokeswoman told the Daily News.

Investigators did not immediately suspect foul play, but an autopsy was scheduled to determine a cause of death.

Brockie - who, according to band manager Jack Flanagan, was found by a band member - died sitting upright in a chair, law enforcement sources told TMZ. The sources added that investigators did not find any drugs inside the home.

"My main focus right now is to look after my band mates and (Brockie's) family," Flanagan said in a statement.

Brockie and fellow Virginia Commonwealth University art students formed the heavy metal group — known for its gory costumes, vulgar lyrics and wild theatrics — in the early 1980s.

“Dave was one of the funniest, smartest, most creative and energetic persons I’ve ever known,” former GWAR bassist Mike Bishop told Style Weekly, which first reported the musician's death.

“He was brash sometimes, always crass, irreverent, he was hilarious in every way. But he was also deeply intelligent and interested in life, history, politics and art.”

Randy Blythe, frontman for the Richmond-based heavy metal band Lamb of God, posted a message on his Instagram account that he heard the news from bass player Chris Bopst — one of the original members of the band.

:beer:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
The sources added that investigators did not find any drugs inside the home.

Despite stereotypes and their theatrics, I believe they were clean (when it comes to drugs). Their guitarist Cory Smoot died a few years ago from a heart condition and the autopsy didn't find any drugs in him.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Despite stereotypes and their theatrics, I believe they were clean (when it comes to drugs). Their guitarist Cory Smoot died a few years ago from a heart condition and the autopsy didn't find any drugs in him.

Concur...these guys were well beyond drugs anyway...my kid brother was a GWAR fanatic (probably still is...) and he had a foam rubber lobster arm and claw he made to accessorize properly for concerts....and he was mild in comparison to many......one of the only things I ever saw him do and put actual effort into it......

:smokin: