Author Topic: The Worrisome Future of Special Operation Forces By Daniel Pipes  (Read 747 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://www.nationalreview.com/corner/373993/worrisome-future-special-operation-forces-daniel-pipes

The Worrisome Future of Special Operation Forces
By Daniel Pipes
March 24, 2014 1:00 AM

I just had the opportunity to spend an afternoon with a Council on Foreign Relations group at the United States Special Operations Command in Tampa, Florida. The famed Admiral William H. McRaven started the briefing, followed by his staff.

I expected to learn about Navy SEALs, Army Rangers, and their air force and marine counterparts. I thought I would hear about the exploits of this 67,000-strong command operating in 84 countries, maybe even about the taking down of Osama bin Laden. But that was not to be. Instead, he and the other officers talked at length about their new mission, starting with the command’s motto, “You can’t surge trust.”

It took some time for it to sink in because of their turgid language, but here’s a key paragraph from the Operating Concept for special operations forces (SOF) that was handed out to the CFR group:

The Special Operations Forces Operating Concept captures the essence of the SOF heritage as it could be – as it should be in the year 2020 and beyond. The concept moves beyond the first decade of the 21st Century, when SOF primarily supported large-scale contingency operations by conducting counterterrorism operations to find, capture, or kill our adversaries. Although of great value to the Nation, these operations were never intended to be decisive. Operating through the Global SOF Network in support of our Geographic Combatant Commanders and Chiefs of Mission, SOF now have the opportunity to achieve strategic outcomes by working with and through interagency and foreign partners to understand and influence relevant populations.

Translated into English, this says:

Special Operations Forces used to be about capturing or killing America’s adversaries; its new mission is to shape public opinion.

Or, it the words of a bullet point in the Operating Concept, the goal is “Elevating SOF non-lethal skills to the same level of expertise as lethal skills.” As radical a shift as this is, at least I could comprehend it. Not so the following graphic, which was projected onto a large floor for most of our briefing and which makes no sense to me:

Comments: (1) I came away from this briefing unsure if the special operations leadership really believes this stuff or is mouthing it to distract the public from discussing its real mission. (2) If it’s sincere, I worry about our future defense.
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
Re: The Worrisome Future of Special Operation Forces By Daniel Pipes
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 11:03:28 pm »
I wouldn't want to be in SOF these days. After the way Obama/Clinton/Biden outted Seal Team 6, including specific names, I can no longer trust the State Department or the American government to keep me safe, provide me with backup if I get in trouble, or to keep any secret of any kind. That is a dangerous place to be. And with all the Muslims involved in American government these days, I find it difficult to trust anyone or anything.

I could imagine American 'officials' sending spec-ops into a no-win situation, just to boost the 'egos' and 'moral' of our enemies. You know what I mean. It is a form of 'Muslim outreach' which Obama is so fixated on.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:08:29 pm »
I can no longer trust the State Department or the American government to keep me safe, provide me with backup if I get in trouble, or to keep any secret of any kind.

I think the regular forces feel the same way...there used to be an unspoken rule *leave no one behind*...well we saw how that worked out for the Bengahzi 4!
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 11:22:20 pm »
I think the regular forces feel the same way...there used to be an unspoken rule *leave no one behind*...well we saw how that worked out for the Bengahzi 4!

You don't. If you are physically incapable of removing them, you ash them. A pound of C4 is plenty - that shit burns hot. But if you can, you do. Note, despite the Worm and Shrillery, all four of them made it home. Boxed, but they got home. Not one of the "attackers" has been found. You may take that as you will.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 11:56:36 pm »
I worry about our future defense.
http://pjmedia.com/tatler/2014/03/24/obama-moves-to-kill-tomahawk-hellfire-missiles/?utm_source=twitterfeed&utm_medium=twitter

Yeah, that is beyond strange. Both of those are staples of Western warfare. The equivalent would be if Michelle came out and banned potatos, rice, and bread.  (Oh wait, I think she did do that.)

The American people are getting what they voted for. It is nobody's fault but their own. (twice)

People say elections have consequences. Well, so does abject stupidity.
America will be feeling the result of their stupidity sooner that they know.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.