Author Topic: Report: 40 House Republicans ready to vote against Boehner for Speaker next year?  (Read 2456 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
http://hotair.com/archives/2014/03/24/report-40-house-republicans-ready-to-vote-against-boehner-for-speaker-next-year/

Report: 40 House Republicans ready to vote against Boehner for Speaker next year?
posted at 2:41 pm on March 24, 2014 by Allahpundit

We’ve been told before that a tea-party revolt was brewing, only to see it fall flat, so maybe this is idle saber-rattling on a slow news day.

Riddle me this, though. If this is just a bluff, what’s the angle? What do the anti-Boehner forces gain by warning this guy through the media that he has nothing to lose by screwing the caucus every which way before the midterms? If he’s a dead man walking, what’s keeping him from bringing amnesty to the floor and letting 20 RINOs pass it with Pelosi’s help?

“My sense at the present time that the Speaker doesn’t have the support of the conference,” says South Carolina Republican Rep. Jeff Duncan about John Boehner. Another member of the House privately estimates that 40 Republican lawmakers would vote against Boehner on the floor and says “I’ve seen a running total.”

“Believe me, they’re not going to go through the national embarrassment — all of the cameras are on the floor — they’re not going to go through that. A leader will emerge before that happens,” the source adds…

Majority Leader Eric Cantor has turned up the intensity of his outreach to members in preparation for the possibility Boehner retires but is facing new questions from the right about his conservative bona fides…

“I could go through chapter and verse on multiple times when we ended up having some crappy vote on the floor and it was all Cantor’s idea,” the member who estimated 40 lawmakers would vote against Boehner says. “Almost every time we’ve violated the Hastert rule, it’s been something that Cantor was pushing. I think he’s more scary than Boehner.”

Duncan insists “there are conversations being had.” If this were a bluff, designed to goose tea partiers into turning out in even heavier numbers this fall with the prospect of turning the House redder and installing a more conservative Speaker, then the whisperers should be claiming that they don’t have the votes yet, right? That’s why they need righties to go to the polls; only by electing another dozen or so tea partiers, the theory would go, could they be assured of beating Boehner next January. Instead, they’re saying they … already have the numbers. (Forty votes would be more than enough to prevent a House majority on Boehner’s behalf, unless a few dozen centrist Republicans defeated Democrats this fall.) So there’s no extra incentive to turn out if you’re a Boehner-hater. On the contrary, if you’re a centrist Republican who thinks the House caucus needs a moderating hand on the wheel, this is an incentive to stay home or vote Democratic. And if you’re Boehner, it’s an incentive to pass agenda items this year, like immigration reform, that you fear might otherwise alienate the tea party. Why not, if you’re being pushed towards the exit anyway?

Could be this is a ghost-of-Christmas-future thing, where tea partiers warn him of what might happen if he proceeds with things like amnesty, but in that case you’d expect them to make their demands explicit. Nope. There’s nothing in Jonathan Strong’s piece about immigration specifically. Which leaves us with one obvious possibility: Maybe, despite all the rumors about Boehner considering retirement, he’s now leaning towards staying on another two years. That would make sense, given the growing odds that the GOP will retake the Senate. Boehner’s always wanted to strike a grand bargain with Obama on deficit reduction; maybe he reasons that having control of both chambers is the party’s last best chance to pressure O into a deal. And House tea partiers, realizing that he’s now inclined to stay, have decided they need to rattle the saber to make him change his mind. Retire — or be ousted in humiliating fashion. But if Boehner goes and Cantor is unacceptable, who’s next?
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
[[ Report: 40 House Republicans ready to vote against Boehner for Speaker next year? ]]

Can I get 50?
Can I get 60?
Can I get....

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Jeff Duncan has represented the 3rd district since 2011 when he won with 65% of the vote.  In Nov 2012 he got 66%.  He filed to run for re-election on the 19th and the deadline is the 30th for the major parties.  Right now he is not even facing a rat candidate in Nov, however independent parties have until 7/15.

I think either Jeff thinks he's politically invulnerable(got nothing to lose by taking on Boehner), or he has found out he is being challenged by a GOP primary candidate and he's pissed.  Seems risky to attack Boehner 6 days before the filing deadline.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 01:35:09 pm by Once-Ler »

Offline MBB1984

Cantor is worse than Boehner in my opinion, and that is very disturbing.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Cantor is worse than Boehner in my opinion, and that is very disturbing.

Why so?

Not disputing - I know little about the guy and a lot more about Boehner.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

Hotair took this story from Breitbart.  One or two Congresspeople do not make a wave. 

There's always lots of noise from a small group, disgruntled with the Speaker.  It happened to Gingrich, too, who resigned on his own.

I doubt Boehner is going to resign, and no alternative is on the horizon.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Hotair took this story from Breitbart.  One or two Congresspeople do not make a wave. 

There's always lots of noise from a small group, disgruntled with the Speaker.  It happened to Gingrich, too, who resigned on his own.

I doubt Boehner is going to resign, and no alternative is on the horizon.

You never responded to my reply in this thread. (Reply #5)
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,133393.msg546054.html#msg546054

Like I said in the other thread. Boehner would never announce a retirement, if planned. It is completely out of protocol and would make him a weak, lame-duck.

Ryan clears path for Cantor Speakership | TheHill
http://thehill.com/homenews/house/196411-ryan-clears-path-for-cantor-speakership

Rep. Raul Labrador: Boehner's speakership at risk over immigration, report says - Washington Times
http://www.washingtontimes.com/news/2014/feb/5/rep-raul-labrador-boehners-speakership-risk-over-i/

Will John Boehner Lose the Speakership?
http://prospect.org/article/will-john-boehner-lose-speakership

Eric Cantor's Path to Speaker's Job Opens Up
http://www.newsmax.com/Politics/eric-cantor-john-boehner-speaker-house/2014/01/25/id/549021/
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 04:54:45 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline MBB1984

Why so?

Not disputing - I know little about the guy and a lot more about Boehner.

Cantor is even more pro amnesty than Boehner and is not a fiscal Conservative, either.   He was a big cheerleader for Bush's Medicare prescription disaster.   He is a big Neocon.  Add, all that to his lack of charisma and charm, and he makes Boehner look like a hero. 

Offline Olivia

Cantor is even more pro amnesty than Boehner and is not a fiscal Conservative, either.   He was a big cheerleader for Bush's Medicare prescription disaster.   He is a big Neocon.  Add, all that to his lack of charisma and charm, and he makes Boehner look like a hero.

Medicare prescription disaster?  According to what I've read, it's been a big success!   :pondering:
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!

Agreed.

That's scary as hell.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline sinkspur

Medicare prescription disaster?  According to what I've read, it's been a big success!   :pondering:

Exactly.  The Medicare Part D law has been a rousing success and seniors love it.    It has NEVER been a disaster.

Offline MBB1984

Exactly.  The Medicare Part D law has been a rousing success and seniors love it.    It has NEVER been a disaster.
/quote]

It is considered a disaster by those advocating limited spending by the federal government.  It costs US taxpayers approximately 55 billion per year. 
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:41:12 pm by MBB1984 »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

:beer:

Appreciate it. Don't have time to dig into everyone. Dude has a bit of a Stallone thing going on with his mouth.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline sinkspur

/quote]

It is considered a disaster by those advocating limited spending by the federal government.  It costs US taxpayers approximately 55 billion per year.

And most of those taxpayers will benefit from the law when they enroll in Medicare. 

Why don't you try to get it repealed and see how successful you'll be.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 05:54:25 pm by sinkspur »

Offline MBB1984

And most of those taxpayers will benefit from the law when they enroll in Medicare. 

Why don't you try to get it repealed and see how successful you'll be.

The minuscule prescription benefit the actual taxpayers receive will pale in comparison as to the cost for the freeloaders on the plan that they must pay.    But, hell, we don't care about no stinkin' government spending, just give us MORE entitlements!   :silly:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Appreciate it. Don't have time to dig into everyone. Dude has a bit of a Stallone thing going on with his mouth.

:silly:

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
For EC. Named Speakers replacement Contenders

Eric Cantor

Jeb Hensarling

Jim Jordon

Tom Price

Even though it has been reported by TheHill that Paul Ryan has support, he said he does not want the position

Paul Ryan

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!

Really? I was thinking more like Anthony Weiner, myself.  :whistle:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline katzenjammer

The minuscule prescription benefit the actual taxpayers receive will pale in comparison as to the cost for the freeloaders on the plan that they must pay.    But, hell, we don't care about no stinkin' government spending, just give us MORE entitlements!   :silly:

Seriously!   :silly:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Tom Price looks more like a gay Anthony Weiner.