Author Topic: Authorities: 108 People Unaccounted For In Deadly Mudslide  (Read 477 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Authorities: 108 People Unaccounted For In Deadly Mudslide
« on: March 24, 2014, 05:01:22 PM »

Support the USO

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
Re: Authorities: 108 People Unaccounted For In Deadly Mudslide
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 05:26:20 PM »

Before and After: Photos Show Mudslide's Destruction
By Jon Sweeney

A mudslide in Washington state turned a square mile of Snohomish County into complete devastation and claimed the lives of at least eight people and destroyed dozens of homes. The slide, which occurred around 11 a.m. PT Saturday, turned land that spanned neighborhoods into "quicksand."

The combination photo above shows the same area near State Route 530 before and after the mudslide devastated the community of Oso, 59 miles north of Seattle.
First published March 24th 2014, 10:42 am

http://www.nbcnews.com/storyline/deadly-mudslide/after-photos-show-mudslides-destruction-n60596

Support the USO

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 06:22:50 PM »
Very sad news breaking here in Washington -  among the 108 names of missing are a group of girls at a slumber party.   

To date the largest natural disaster in Washington was Mount St. Helens which killed 57.   This massive landslide could tower over that. 
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 06:39:43 PM »
My niece who lives in the Arlington area down river just text me and said they are evacuating people just west of the original slide because of more slides happening on the hillside. Where she lives is on alert only at this time.  Its a beautiful day today, but more rain is moving in tonight and for much of the rest of the week.   My heart goes out to those people.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Online mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:35:54 PM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:37:17 PM »
... which I'm sure already has been blamed on manmade climate change.  :nono:

Of course, which means it is Bush's fault.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline musiclady

« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:20:19 PM »
Very sad news breaking here in Washington -  among the 108 names of missing are a group of girls at a slumber party.   

To date the largest natural disaster in Washington was Mount St. Helens which killed 57.   This massive landslide could tower over that.

Wow.  That's awful.

Prayers for the people in this community.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

May 3, 2016 - the day the Republican party left ME.  I am now without a Party, and quite possibly without a country.  May God have mercy!

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:23:19 PM »
Death toll is up to 14.

That said, remember that "unaccounted for" does not mean "dead," not by a long shot.

When the fertilizer plant exploded in West last year, there were tons of people who were listed as "missing/unaccounted for" after the first day and in the end, most if not all were found to be okay.

The odds are the death toll will be less than 116.  People often end up on the missing lists and don't even know it.  Only days later are they removed when authorities figure out they're alive.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 11:26:45 PM »

Missing list grows to 176 tonight.   Hoping like the story says, that there are duplicate names or many of the people on the list are someplace else.   With 30 to 35 homes destroyed plus whatever traffic was on the road 176 seems high.

http://www.king5.com/news/local/Oso-darrington-landslide-Monday-251915291.html

Monday night, Snohomish County Emergency Management Director John Pennington said the number of reports of people missing or unaccounted for has grown from 108 to 176. He emphasized many of those names could be duplicates.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2014, 06:54:41 AM »
Just when you think things cannot get worse...I didn't expect the list of missing to jump like that.  Certainly it will be pared down over the coming days, but I still fear there has been a horrific death toll.  The pictures are just staggering. 

The worst part is that we're moving back into a rainy period, and with the ground still moving, things will not get better soon....

Prayers for the missing....

Online mountaineer

« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2014, 07:52:06 AM »
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf