Author Topic: Yup, that’s the president’s plane  (Read 466 times)

Offline flowers

Yup, that’s the president’s plane
« on: March 24, 2014, 07:38:08 pm »
http://www.star-telegram.com/2014/03/20/v-print/5666071/yup-thats-the-presidents-plane.html?rh=1

One of the most recognizable aircraft in the world is in town for a face-lift.

One of two Boeing 747s used to ferry President Barack Obama stealthily touched down at Meacham Airport on Thursday, where it will be repainted. It’s not known how long the aircraft will be in Fort Worth.

“The aircraft is completing a year-long heavy maintenance cycle and is in Fort Worth to be repainted,” Jennifer C. Hogan, a Boeing spokeswoman, said in a news release.

“Upon completion of repainting, the aircraft will continue to go through a number of inspections and a flight test regimen before returning to presidential service,” she said.

Leading Edge Aviation Services will do the work. The company declined to comment and referred the Star-Telegram to Boeing.

Officially designated USAF VC-25A — with tail numbers 28000 and 29000 — the two planes are referred to as Air Force One only when the president is aboard, Hogan said. The 747 with the tail number 28000 is at Meacham.

this is dated the 20th so I ask, how long does it take to paint a 747 and do  a inspection? What 2 planes did he take to Europe yesterday? I thought they only had 2 presidential planes?  anyone here know?
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:48:44 pm by flowers »

Offline flowers

Re: Yup, that’s the president’s plane
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2014, 07:50:03 pm »
Yes I know the designation of AF1 refers to any plane he is in, but how many 747's does a prez have? I thought 2 of them 
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 07:50:56 pm by flowers »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 07:54:57 pm »
Yes I know the designation of AF1 refers to any plane he is in, but how many 747's does a prez have? I thought 2 of them 

There are 4, two in service, 2 being serviced.

Painting a plane takes about a week. It's not union crews, the paint takes time to dry.  :whistle:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #3 on: March 24, 2014, 08:00:38 pm »

Painting a plane takes about a week. It's not union crews, the paint takes time to dry.  :whistle:

:laugh:
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #4 on: March 24, 2014, 08:19:38 pm »

if it were union crews, someone would be paid to watch the paint dry.

Offline flowers

« Reply #5 on: March 24, 2014, 08:23:13 pm »

for a long time I thought they only had one. Just in the past few years found out they  have 2 now i see they have 4 Thanks for info EC

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 08:28:25 pm »
Just remember - you didn't hear it from me  :tongue2:
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink