Author Topic: Texas town pays Ted Nugent $16,250 not to play at Fourth of July celebration  (Read 1062 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.upi.com/Odd_News/2014/03/24/Texas-town-pays-Ted-Nugent-16250-not-to-play-at-Fourth-of-July-celebration/1921395680115/

- A Texas town was so intent on ridding themselves of the Motor City Madman that city officials opted to pay out more than $15,000 to have Ted Nugent not play on the Fourth of July.

Longview was in negotiations to have Nugent play at the Fireworks and Freedom Celebration on Independence Day, but backed out after Nugent called President Obama a “subhuman mongrel” while campaigning with Texas gubernatorial candidate Greg Abbott earlier this year.

According to city spokesman Shawn Hara, Longview had other concerns that led to Nugent being paid $16,250 to end contract negotiations. The amount was half of Nugent’s guaranteed performance fee.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Obama is a subhuman mongrel. I am not like the TOS people that demonize Nugent and say he is a molester because church lady said so.

Nugent is not diplomatic but why waste time bashing a rock star when the world is screwed up enough as it is?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Online mountaineer

city officials opted to pay out more than $15,000 to have Ted Nugent not play on the Fourth of July
How much would they pay not to split an infinitive, UPI?
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline LambChop

Obama is a subhuman mongrel. I am not like the TOS people that demonize Nugent and say he is a molester because church lady said so.

Nugent is not diplomatic but why waste time bashing a rock star when the world is screwed up enough as it is?

It's not church lady that says so.   If you read his own words you see he's admitted to it.
Well, he calls it "under age girls"  But molestation is molestation, no matter how you want to package it.

And part of the reason the world is screwed up is because they overlook the deeds of people like Ted Nugent.
He really needs to be ignored so he'll just go away.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
It's not church lady that says so.   If you read his own words you see he's admitted to it.
Well, he calls it "under age girls"  But molestation is molestation, no matter how you want to package it.

And part of the reason the world is screwed up is because they overlook the deeds of people like Ted Nugent.
He really needs to be ignored so he'll just go away.

I am sure the Beatles and every rock star had sex with 17.5 year olds.

And I like Nugents music and politics.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline LambChop

I am sure the Beatles and every rock star had sex with 17.5 year olds.

And I like Nugents music and politics.

Well there you go then.  You'll forgive a grown man for having sex with girls as young as 13, as long as he spews the correct political buzz words and writes a few catchy tunes.

Good to know.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Well there you go then.  You'll forgive a grown man for having sex with girls as young as 13, as long as he spews the correct political buzz words and writes a few catchy tunes.

Good to know.

You presume way too much in your thought.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Being this is my home town and the city spokesperson mentioned in the article is a friend of mine and we discussed the situation this weekend. Much if this article is very much wrong. The primary reason to break the contract was not due to Nugent's comments initially but due to contract costs (over $30K for an appearance) and a poorly planned contract. The city was already negotiating to break the contract when the local OFA  & NAACP crowd led by a Vik Verma decided to flex some muscle. He has been a nasty player in local politics and is bringing Chicago thuggery to a normally Conservative town.

The initial thought by most of the city council was that Nugent was just a performer and his comments like this shouldn't be taken any more seriously than one would a comment from a pro wrestler. The council was originally going to Nugent to be a headliner for our Alley Fest in May. The 4th celebration came up due to scheduling. The 4th though came at a much higher cost. Unfortunately some in the city had already initiated the contract so Nugent's camp was going to get paid for any change or break  no matter what due to contract terms.

The is when Vik and the OFA crowd jumped in. They were demanding not only a formal apology from the city, but a formal 'equal time' on stage by making the claim that it was a political event, not musical. Threats of lawsuits against the city by OFA and the NAACP demanding equal time were thrown out and they even brought in the new newspaper editor (big lib) to emphasize what kind of PR flack they would cause for the city.

The city decided based on this, they would just continue with plans to cancel the contract due to the scheduling and cost issue and not deal with the OFA antics. Vik and OFA wasn't happy with this and worked with the paper to create the story that it was about Nugent's comments.

Side note, Vik and crowd started this the day Wendy Davis was in town so they were capitalizing on the media's attention. Normally, this would have just been a case of a poorly negotiated contract and would never have made the news.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 08:09:41 pm by AbaraXas »

Oceander

How much would they pay not to split an infinitive, UPI?

:bigsilly:

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
This is getting absolutely silly. Apparently Nugent didn't know that they are all being played by the local OFA & NAACP rabble-rowsers (today's article even somewhat admits that).  Nugent is now slandering the mayor (who didn't make the decision, the city manager did).

http://www.news-journal.com/news/local/ted-nugent-allegations-that-show-is-inappropriate-absurd/article_7e2594b3-d311-5841-80f1-4953904b6365.html

...“Those that hate me are following the Saul Alinsky playbook on how to dismantle, fundamentally transform the greatest nation and quality of life the world has ever known,” he said. “Those that hate me hate America, plain and simple.”

Nugent did not respond Tuesday to questions about published comments he made last week that Longview Mayor Jay Dean is racist and dishonest.

“I hear from reliable sources that the mayor is a racist and was offended that my band performs mostly African-American-influenced music,” Nugent was quoted as saying in a column that appeared Saturday in the Fort Worth Star-Telegram. “Everyone knows ol’ Uncle Ted is the ultimate Independence Day rockout with the ultimate all-American, soul music, rockin’ soundtrack of defiance, liberty and freedom. We shall carry on. We are the good guys. Clueless, dishonest people like the mayor are the bad guys.”.....

::snip::

Nugent’s response came as the Longview NAACP was urging residents to attend Thursday’s meeting of the Longview City Council.

“TedGate must be explained,” the NAACP said on its Facebook page. “The people demand answers and the unveiling of any clandestine ongoings.”

Branden Johnson, president of the nonprofit organization, said people must understand the importance getting civically engaged....