Author Topic: Disproportionate Numbers of Black Kids Being Suspended from Preschool Programs  (Read 689 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
Disproportionate Numbers of Black Kids Being Suspended from Preschool Programs

Even preschoolers are getting suspended from U.S. public schools—and they're disproportionately Black, a trend that continues up through the later grades.

Data released March 21 by the Education Department's civil rights arm finds that Black children represent about 18 percent of children enrolled in preschool programs in schools, but almost half of the students were suspended more than once. Six percent of the nation's districts with preschools reported suspending at least one preschool child.

Advocates have long said that get-tough suspension and arrest policies in schools have contributed to a "school-to-prison" pipeline that snags minority students, but much of the emphasis has been on middle school and high school policies. This data shows the disparities starting in the youngest of children.

Earlier this year, the Obama administration issued guidance encouraging schools to abandon what it described as overly zealous discipline policies that send students to court instead of the principal's office. But, even before the announcement, school districts have been adjusting policies that disproportionately affect minority students.

more at :   http://www.afro.com/sections/news/national/story.htm?storyid=81968

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Online DCPatriot

Lack of parenting in the African-American 'family' equals lack of respect for others....here we are today.

Wild bastards......
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

Lack of parenting in the African-American 'family' equals lack of respect for others....here we are today.

Wild bastards......

My dil taught disadvantage kids in Cincy back during the riots. When parents would come in for conferences, she noticed the parents were as undisciplined as the kids, or worse. She didn't give the children homework because when the parents did help, they made matters worse. Nearly all her students were crack babies, but she gained a rapport with them. A few teachers didn't like her methods, but they worked.

My niece taught the same kinds of kids locally, and an article was written in our local paper about her success. She was laid off a few months later because of seniority.

Online DCPatriot

About 75% of all African-American births are to single women with no full time father figure.

And the vast majority of those mothers are teenagers.

Online mountaineer

the parents were as undisciplined as the kids, or worse.
True, and that's the case in my almost entirely white town, too. As for inner city misbehavior, I recall chatting several years ago with some black coworkers who would have been born in the late-1940s and 1950s who bemoaned the lack of discipline among folks in their neighborhood (Pittsburgh's famous Hill District). When they were kids, they had two parents who would punish them for misbehavior. Now, they told me sadly, there's no such supervision.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline happyg

True, and that's the case in my almost entirely white town, too. As for inner city misbehavior, I recall chatting several years ago with some black coworkers who would have been born in the late-1940s and 1950s who bemoaned the lack of discipline among folks in their neighborhood (Pittsburgh's famous Hill District). When they were kids, they had two parents who would punish them for misbehavior. Now, they told me sadly, there's no such supervision.

You are right! I met a black lady who lived on one of the worst streets in town. She was distressed about the families in the neighborhood. Kids would be playing late outside on school nights, fights would break out in the streets, and guns would go off at random. How in the hell are these kids supposed to act at school? And, how can they learn? Imagine living in a crack house with a bunch of thugs. That is reality.

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
It seems that when American blacks gained "full equality", they began a downward decline towards their African "roots"...

So much for "integration"....

Oceander

This data shows the disparities starting in the youngest of children.

That is liberal code-speak for "disparate impact" which, boiled down to its essence, means that if you can show that there is a difference between the percentage of blacks in a given population and the percentage of people who are black and have suffered some negative effect, then that effect is presumed to be the result of racism, and it is then up to the presumed racist to do his/her/its damnedest to try and prove otherwise - that is, to prove a negative.

"Disparate impact" is, essentially, strict liability for racial discrimination.

It's really sad how so many people, including the Supreme Court (which helped construct the disparate impact nonsense), cannot fathom the basic fact that correlation does not imply causation.