Author Topic: What would America do if China invaded Taiwan?  (Read 445 times)

Offline mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
What would America do if China invaded Taiwan?
« on: March 23, 2014, 09:22:24 AM »

Support the USO

Offline mountaineer

• Paranoid Hillbilly
Re: What would America do if China invaded Taiwan?
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:25:17 AM »
Just a guess ...

“Hell hath no fury like a vested interest masquerading as a moral principle.” - Ryan T Anderson

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:44:32 AM »
Great question.  The Chinee are definitely paying attention to the ongoing farce in and around Ukraine, and one of these days before Obammy is gone the calculus in bringing Taiwan back into the Chinee fold might just suddenly work out.

With the troika of Obama-Kerry-Hagel running things, anything is possible.  I'm waiting to see who decides there will be no US response to use of a nuclear weapon.

Offline PzLdr

« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:05:36 AM »
Our super hero in chief, Captain Feckless, would write a stiff letter, and send the Addams family butler to deliver it.
Hillary's Self-announced Qualifications: She Stood Up To Putin...She Sits to Pee

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 11:48:57 AM »
The fact is that we just don't know. (Last spring no one would have predicted that a year later Crimea would be a part of Russia.)

Which is why a competent US president would have been placing pieces strategically all along to do the best to make sure that China thinks twice, thrice, etc..., about trying to take Taiwan by force.

Would that we had a competent president.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
    • The place where argument addicts can go
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 11:58:50 AM »
Obama will make a serious speech, do nothing, and encourage more of the same.

Obama intended this, when he told Vlad he would have more flexibility once reelected.

Obama wants to change America, from a world power, to a miserable weak land with socialized medicine, food stamps for all, permanent unemployment benefits, etc.

The only remaining superpower isn't so super, and Obama has 2.5 years left to diminish America's power and standing.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.ďż˝  Abe Lincoln

Offline evadR˛

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 12:30:40 PM »
Just a guess ...

DITTO.
Thee feckless one would draw another line.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline evadR˛

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 12:33:32 PM »
"What would America do if China invaded Taiwan?"
I posed this question last week.
Whatever it is they better figure it out because it coming...quicker than you think.
November 6, 2012, a day in infamy...the death of a republic as we know it.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 12:33:40 PM »
You have to wonder why Taiwan, Israel and other "outlaw" states don't form an alliance.  I think the old South Africa and Israel had something going on.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 12:39:26 PM »
You have to wonder why Taiwan, Israel and other "outlaw" states don't form an alliance.  I think the old South Africa and Israel had something going on.

Israel and South Africa had something going on with nukes, I think.

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 12:58:13 PM »
What could America do?  Attack with sling shots, pea shooters, bean bag guns?  I think some threats from Obama would scare the msg out of them. :silly:
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Fishrrman

« Reply #11 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:59 PM »
[[ What would America do if China invaded Taiwan? ]]

Nothing.

It's not worth a world war, and we realize that, regardless of what agreements signed sixty-plus years ago say.

But let me argue as to WHY it's no longer worth it.

In 1950, Red China and Taiwan, although separated by only a small body of water, were opposite ends of the world. Total communism vs. an attempt at freedom.

That was then.
This is now.

I would proffer that TODAY, Mainland China is no longer so far removed from the Chinese of Taiwan. If anything, in the half-century plus that has passed by, the mainland has "moved", considerably towards the system in place in Taiwan.

In 1950, no one in their right mind could see Red China and Taiwan reuniting.

But today, the two Chinese peoples and the economic/political systems under which they live are no longer so "different" as to make a reconciliation and reunification impossible.

The question now is whether such process be consensual, a la Hong Kong, or under duress.

Remember back when the Berlin Wall came down, and how communism collapsed in East Germany? At that time, the tv and print pundits were saying it would take years for a German reunification. And look how wrong they were.

It may not be easy, but I sense that a similar scenario could take place with the two Chinas, under the right conditions...

And THAT'S why it's absolute nonsense to suggest that the United States go to war (which could easily degenerate into a nuclear conflict) over Taiwan ...

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf