Author Topic: Crimea, Scotland…Now Venice Votes on Breakaway  (Read 913 times)

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
Crimea, Scotland…Now Venice Votes on Breakaway
« on: March 22, 2014, 06:08:35 pm »
Crimea, Scotland…Now Venice Votes on Breakaway

Editor’s Note: The following is a crosspost by Katrina Bishop that originally appeared on CNBC.com:

Crimea’s residents aren’t the only Europeans striving for secession, with referendums in both Scotland and Spain’s Catalonia planned for later this year. But the phenomenon appears to be spreading: this week Venetians have been voting on breaking away from Italy, albeit in a referendum not recognized by Rome or regional authorities.

Paolo Bernardini, professor of European history at the University of Insubria in Como, Italy, has been campaigning for an independent Venice since 2007. He said the city was free for around 1,100 years – before losing its independence to Napoleon in 1797 – and it was “high time” for it to become an autonomous state once again.

“Although history never repeats itself, we are now experiencing a strong return of little nations, small and prosperous countries,able to interact among each other in the global world,” he told CNBC.

“Venetian people realized that we are a nation (worthy of) self-rule and openly oppressed, and the entire world is moving towards fragmentation – a positive fragmentation – where local traditions mingle with global exchanges.”

It is this fierce pride in their cultural heritage that unites the states striving for autonomy – and could lead to more independence bids in the future.

“Catalonia, Scotland, the Basque Country, Wales and Flanders are distinct nations with a long history behind and a strong will to govern themselves,” Xavier Solano, former representative of the Catalan Government in the U.K., told CNBC.

“Perhaps not all of them will bid for independence, however it seems reasonable to believe that some of them may think that their future would be better in their own hands. I am convinced that EU internal borders will be re-shaped by the democratic will of the people.”

Much like in Scotland and Catalonia, those in favor of an independent Venice – as part of an autonomous Veneto region – cite economic reasons for breaking away from their parent states.

Italy receives around 71 billion euros ($96 billion) each year in tax from Venice, according to AFP – some 21 billion euros less than it gets back in investment and services.

“Even without such a long history of statehood, Venice should regain its independence and keep home the fruits of their labor,” he added.

Veneto makes up over 9 percent of Italy’s gross domestic product (GDP). By contrast, Catalonia accounts for roughly one-fifth of Spain’s gross domestic product, and Scotland accounts for just over 8 percent of the U.K. economic output (excluding North Sea oil and gas revenue).

Crimea is ‘completely different’

The Venice vote – due to end Friday – comes just a week after Crimea voted overwhelmingly in favor of leaving Ukraine and becoming part of the Russian Federation, although the European Union and U.S. have deemed the referendum illegal.

However Nicolas de Santis, president of global business think-tank Gold Mercury International, was quick to stress that Crimea’s bid for independence was completely different to that in Scotland, Catalonia and Venice.

“The majority of people in Crimea speak Russia; they don’t speak Ukrainian. And the way in which Crimea was gifted to Ukraine by the Soviet Union makes its history very different to that of Scotland and Catalonia,” he told CNBC.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
And Quebec, and threats from Texas? California is more populous than Canada, and is a net contributor to Washington DC's voracious appetite. California could be energy self-sufficient.

"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: Crimea, Scotland…Now Venice Votes on Breakaway
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 06:37:47 pm »
To be perfectly honest, what Washinton DC has turned the Federal government into is not something that TEXAS signed on for.

I really do think that one of two things should happen.

One, Washington, DC be brought back under the control and constraints as laid out in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights or that the REPUBLIC of TEXAS sever ties with Washington, DC and leave the Union.

Don't tell me that this can't be done, either. Nothing is impossible when one puts their mind to it. That, and IF you want a TEXAN to do something, then tell them that it can't be done.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 06:38:23 pm by Howie66 »
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 03:02:46 am »
To be perfectly honest, what Washinton DC has turned the Federal government into is not something that TEXAS signed on for.

I really do think that one of two things should happen.

One, Washington, DC be brought back under the control and constraints as laid out in the Constitution and the Bill of Rights or that the REPUBLIC of TEXAS sever ties with Washington, DC and leave the Union.

Don't tell me that this can't be done, either. Nothing is impossible when one puts their mind to it. That, and IF you want a TEXAN to do something, then tell them that it can't be done.

Texans should hold a referendum and then demand that D.C. respect the will of the Texas people.  I'm not being facetious, either.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 11:41:55 am »
Don't forget - Italy is about a century younger than the USA, and the Venato region was the last to join. There are still two city states holding out in Italy - San Marino and the Vatican, so splitting is not exactly an unusual concept.

Now, Umberto Bossi wants to peel off the industrial north from the more agricultural south, and that is unlikely to happen (incidentally, he is a dead ringer for my late Grand Dad. If he'd been born a year later, some very hard questions would have been asked! Nan was not a gentle woman!  :laugh: ) But the Venato leaving? Very possible.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Online kevindavis007

« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:57:48 pm »
Don't forget - Italy is about a century younger than the USA, and the Venato region was the last to join. There are still two city states holding out in Italy - San Marino and the Vatican, so splitting is not exactly an unusual concept.

Now, Umberto Bossi wants to peel off the industrial north from the more agricultural south, and that is unlikely to happen (incidentally, he is a dead ringer for my late Grand Dad. If he'd been born a year later, some very hard questions would have been asked! Nan was not a gentle woman!  :laugh: ) But the Venato leaving? Very possible.

So what do you think about the Scots? Are they going to split?
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 01:03:54 pm »

So what do you think about the Scots? Are they going to split?

I'm rooting for it, but most polling says no. They talk a good game, but take more than they give to the union and Scots in general are not stupid. The SNP is big on independence, but they are a tiny blip on the radar compared to the Labour Party - who have a vested interest in keeping Scotland in the Union. Without Scotland - that is 30 reliable Labour seats gone from the House of Commons. All Scottish peers would be booted from the House of Lords. It'sd be a political nuclear winter for the Left.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 01:04:24 pm »
Texans should hold a referendum and then demand that D.C. respect the will of the Texas people.  I'm not being facetious, either.

The fact of the matter is that our government in Austin has been quietly working on "contingency plans" that deal with the possibility of a dissolution of the United States for some time, now.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 01:08:20 pm »
I'm rooting for it, but most polling says no. They talk a good game, but take more than they give to the union and Scots in general are not stupid. The SNP is big on independence, but they are a tiny blip on the radar compared to the Labour Party - who have a vested interest in keeping Scotland in the Union. Without Scotland - that is 30 reliable Labour seats gone from the House of Commons. All Scottish peers would be booted from the House of Lords. It'sd be a political nuclear winter for the Left.

Very interesting.

I am really curious about the events in London with the Muzzies going stupid all over the place there. I've heard rumblings that real Brits are getting pretty fed up with the Muzzie nonsense.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2014, 01:31:26 pm »
Very interesting.

I am really curious about the events in London with the Muzzies going stupid all over the place there. I've heard rumblings that real Brits are getting pretty fed up with the Muzzie nonsense.

I can only give you the local take in a small area of London. It's not talked about much in the news, or indeed in the pubs.

We got two types of Muslims. People who live here and shit stirrers.

We have a little parade of shops here. 4 of them are Muslim owned. The opticians, the paper shop, the convenience store and the chip shop (their fish is terrible, chips are average but the kebabs are pretty nice) I guess you could say 5, because the doctor's surgery is also run by two Pakistani Muslims. They are not the problem. Good people, all, a core part of the local community, heavily involved in local charities and events, and basically, friends. They just worship different, you know? It never even comes up. I'll drop into the shop after Mass, chat to Samar about her poetry, and we have a laugh and a joke. Wife is coming home late, she'll jump off the bus and wait by the shop til I get down there - Farouk is nigh on 7 foot tall and has a bat he likes to use on people disturbing the peace. He always offers her a cup of tea!  :laugh: They are not the enemy. They detest the shit stirrers. Get some hate spouting imam hitting the local mosque and you can bet your ass he'll be reported within about 20 minutes.

Then, there are the others. The hate spewers. They don't live here, unless you count sitting in a cell in Belmarsh residency. You rarely see them, they work under the surface. Find some disenchanted, under employed bleep and program them. Those bleep are the problem.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2014, 01:52:04 pm »
I can only give you the local take in a small area of London. It's not talked about much in the news, or indeed in the pubs.

We got two types of Muslims. People who live here and shit stirrers.

We have a little parade of shops here. 4 of them are Muslim owned. The opticians, the paper shop, the convenience store and the chip shop (their fish is terrible, chips are average but the kebabs are pretty nice) I guess you could say 5, because the doctor's surgery is also run by two Pakistani Muslims. They are not the problem. Good people, all, a core part of the local community, heavily involved in local charities and events, and basically, friends. They just worship different, you know? It never even comes up. I'll drop into the shop after Mass, chat to Samar about her poetry, and we have a laugh and a joke. Wife is coming home late, she'll jump off the bus and wait by the shop til I get down there - Farouk is nigh on 7 foot tall and has a bat he likes to use on people disturbing the peace. He always offers her a cup of tea!  :laugh: They are not the enemy. They detest the shit stirrers. Get some hate spouting imam hitting the local mosque and you can bet your ass he'll be reported within about 20 minutes.

Then, there are the others. The hate spewers. They don't live here, unless you count sitting in a cell in Belmarsh residency. You rarely see them, they work under the surface. Find some disenchanted, under employed bleep and program them. Those bleeps are the problem.

Thank you for that report, brother. It's always better to get first hand accounts, the Media being such as it is.

What about those roving gangs that are trying to ram Sharia down people's throats and those thugs that seem to have no fear about attacking soldierd in broad daylight?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2014, 02:34:00 pm »
Thank you for that report, brother. It's always better to get first hand accounts, the Media being such as it is.

What about those roving gangs that are trying to ram Sharia down people's throats and those thugs that seem to have no fear about attacking soldierd in broad daylight?

The roving gangs - they got problems. There are areas where they can get away with it, sure. Most areas they try have a high proportion of working class blokes and they get the crap beat out of them. It's a hate crime, but no witnesses, no story.

Drummer Rigby was killed about a mile and a half from where I am sitting right now. A bunch of flowers from here was wired to the barracks fence in memorial. You notice one thing that never got mentioned? Neither of the killers left. They had a car, they could have gone. They were not permitted to leave. They were held until the police arrived - and they were not exactly held nicely. I heard about it after the event, I walk down that road on nice days. The driver pulled a (very rusty) pistol, to try to clear the way. The response he got was "don't miss."