Author Topic: A Tale of Two Peninsulas: How Will the Crimean Crisis Affect Korea?  (Read 573 times)

SPQR

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
Re: A Tale of Two Peninsulas: How Will the Crimean Crisis Affect Korea?
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 11:09:23 PM »
The South may find cause to reconsider just how much reliance it can place on its treaties with the US right now.  As may the North.

SPQR

« Reply #2 on: March 24, 2014, 11:01:13 PM »
The South may find cause to reconsider just how much reliance it can place on its treaties with the US right now.  As may the North.

I think that we will be in the peninsula for a very long time. The United States has kept the peace in the area since 1953. Also, our presence has kept Japan from pursuing turning to the rightward leaning government.
« Last Edit: March 24, 2014, 11:03:23 PM by SPQR »

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2014, 11:35:43 AM »
I think that we will be in the peninsula for a very long time. The United States has kept the peace in the area since 1953. Also, our presence has kept Japan from pursuing turning to the rightward leaning government.

I'm not sure about how long US forces will be in Korea. Combine war weariness (admittedly, hard earned), an administration of appeasement, and China flexing hard enough to make Putin jealous, and there could be a rapid draw down of forces or a shift to a more UN based approach.

Note - I am not saying it would be right, just that it is no longer unthinkable.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2014, 10:14:30 PM »
I'm not sure about how long US forces will be in Korea. Combine war weariness (admittedly, hard earned), an administration of appeasement, and China flexing hard enough to make Putin jealous, and there could be a rapid draw down of forces or a shift to a more UN based approach.

Note - I am not saying it would be right, just that it is no longer unthinkable.

We will be there as long as South Koreans want us there. So far, they want us there and the ROK-U.S. Mutual Defense Treaty is in place
« Last Edit: March 25, 2014, 10:21:08 PM by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #5 on: March 25, 2014, 11:54:09 PM »

We have had 60 years of good relations, though sometimes strained, but I do not see any American troops leaving

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 26, 2014, 12:18:26 AM »
We have had 60 years of good relations, though sometimes strained, but I do not see any American troops leaving

I desperately hope you are right. I'd like to be wrong in this case.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

SPQR

« Reply #7 on: March 26, 2014, 12:56:05 AM »
I desperately hope you are right. I'd like to be wrong in this case.

We are the only ones standing in the way of the North Korea's 1.3 million man army.  We can have B-52 strikes on North Korea in a matter of hours from Guam. We can have airstrikes and manpower from Japan in a matter of hours while American and South Korean forces keep North Korean force pinned down until the air and other assets arrive.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:10:15 AM by SPQR »

SPQR

« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2014, 01:25:40 AM »
We are the only ones standing in the way of the North Korea's 1.3 million man army.  We can have B-52 strikes on North Korea in a matter of hours from Guam. We can have airstrikes and manpower from Japan in a matter of hours while American and South Korean forces keep North Korean force pinned down until the air and other assets arrive.

I did forget the significant naval assets in the area such as the U.S. Seventh Fleet in Japan which can help and other air assets in the peninsula
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:46:00 AM by SPQR »

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • TBR Illuminati
« Reply #9 on: March 26, 2014, 12:08:04 PM »

i'm sure the depths of Obama's incompetence will surprise you sooner rather than later.

SPQR

« Reply #10 on: March 26, 2014, 01:12:03 PM »
i'm sure the depths of Obama's incompetence will surprise you sooner rather than later.

The South Koreans and the Japanese will never let the USAK leave the Peninsula. There are too many important bases on the Peninsula there and the growing Chinese threat.
« Last Edit: March 26, 2014, 01:16:20 PM by SPQR »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf