Author Topic: Santorum: Rand Paul's views like Obama's  (Read 1793 times)

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Santorum: Rand Paul's views like Obama's
« on: March 22, 2014, 12:00:06 am »
http://thehill.com/blogs/ballot-box/presidential-races/201366-santorum-rand-paul-allied-with-barack-obama-on-foreign

March 21, 2014, 10:53 am
Santorum: Rand Paul's views like Obama's
By Mario Trujillo

Sen. Rand Paul’s views on foreign policy are dangerously aligned with President Obama’s, Rick Santorum said in what amounts to a shot across the bow to a possible presidential rival in 2016.

"I see the Rand Paul wing of the Republican Party for what it is: allied with Barack Obama’s foreign policy. I think that’s a very serious threat to our own security," the former Pennsylvania senator said in an interview with Time magazine.

Santorum noted that he had large disagreements on foreign policy with the Kentucky Republican's father, Ron Paul, during the 2012 presidential campaign.

"You can deliver a positive message for the country on national security without saying we need to be in a war in every country. Which of course we can’t do, and we wouldn’t. But that doesn’t mean we need to disengage. There’s a cost to disengagement," he said.

A series of potential GOP presidential candidates have taken shots at Paul, who is perceived to have a more non-interventionist foreign policy than many of his peers.

Paul recently hit back at Sen. Ted Cruz (R-Ky.), accusing him of misrepresenting his views on foreign policy, and staked out his own position on Ukraine in a Time magazine op-ed last week. 

"What some American leaders, including some in my own party, often forget is that lasting peace was always Reagan’s ultimate objective," Paul wrote.

Santorum criticized Obama’s handling of the situation of Crimea. He said Russian President Vladimir Putin has been emboldened by U.S. foreign policy during Obama’s tenure.

"What we’ve seen over time is the president serially deferring, backing away from red lines or lines in the sand, saying that the U.S. needs not to be involved in all these things. You send a signal," he said.

Santorum said he "absolutely" had the itch to get back into politics and claimed he "without a doubt" would have beaten Obama had he won the GOP nomination in 2012.

If he does run again in 2016, he said he would have to raise a lot more money and get a stronger team around him. He said he would have an advantage because many people already know his conservative credentials.

"This time around I don’t have to go out and prove by bona fides on being a conservative," he said. "I can focus in on how I differentiate myself from the rest of the field and how I think we can develop a winning message for the fall."

He won 11 states in 2012, the most of any candidate besides Mitt Romney, who became the GOP's presidential nominee. He blamed his lack of money down the stretch for his loss.

Santorum said polling firms should not be leaving his name off the list of potential GOP candidates for 2016. A CNN poll over the weekend showed Paul narrowly leading the pack with 16 percent. Santorum, who was also included in the early poll, brought in 3 percent.

"It’s sort of been my strength over the course of my political career that I’m always underestimated," he said.

Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Oceander

Re: Santorum: Rand Paul's views like Obama's
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2014, 12:01:30 am »
stay home rickie, just stay home.

Offline olde north church

« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2014, 12:46:28 am »
Take your sweater vest and scram!
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2014, 02:00:49 am »
Wasn't he the guy that couldn't keep his Senate seat?
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 05:29:17 am »
What?  Is this unfair?  Is it not commonly perceived that Rand Paul is an isolationist?  I like both Rand Paul and Rick Santorum, and I would proudly vote for either man knowing what I know now about them.  They both have their positives and negatives, and in this case Santorum isn't saying anything Ted Cruz didn't say 2 weeks ago.

I think this shows Santorum is seriously hungry for the job and puts him up a couple notches on my book.  Paul somehow has to get out in front of this charge of isolationism and define when he thinks American interests are at stake.  Seemingly mine is not a popular opinion.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:33:01 am by Once-Ler »

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 09:59:11 am »
Looks like little Ricky is soo Jealous of Rand :tongue2: :silly:

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline aligncare

« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »
Rand Paul is not an isolationist. The senator's foreign policy stance is ever mindful of the United States Constitution. As it should be, in my opinion.

Full transcript of Sen. Rand Paul's "Restoring the Founders' Vision of Foreign Policy" speech to the Heritage Foundation on February 6, 2013.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2014, 12:59:43 pm »
Paul would have the United States out of Afghanistan by now, unlike Obama, as it should be.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2014, 02:53:45 pm »
Paul would have the United States out of Afghanistan by now, unlike Obama, as it should be.

We never seem to learn from history. The Russian bear sent in 85,000 troops and spent 10 years trying to tame Afghanistan with a brutal ROE, and they failed. So what do we do? Send in social workers dressed as warriors.

We never seem to learn from history.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2014, 05:13:53 pm »
Wasn't he the guy that couldn't keep his Senate seat?

Yep...
Join The Reagan Caucus: https://reagancaucus.org/

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2014, 05:27:55 pm »

Yep...
Running, vowing to run, threatening to run is his career now.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #11 on: March 22, 2014, 05:32:16 pm »
Running, vowing to run, threatening to run is his career now.

I should run for office not win and still make money.. The new way to make $$$

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2014, 05:35:48 pm »

I should run for office not win and still make money.. The new way to make $$$
Pat Buchanan, Newt Gingrich are among those who recently exploited this opportunity.

Harold Stassen in dayes of olde would be a grandfather of the career path.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 05:51:16 pm by truth_seeker »

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2014, 05:36:59 pm »
So Santorum comes out of the gate swinging at one of the top Republican contenders?  During the last election, I came to the conclusion that Rick was in it to be a spoiler - looks like he's going to do the same thing again this time. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #14 on: March 22, 2014, 05:45:08 pm »
Pat Buchanan, Newt Gingrich are among those who recently took exploited this opportunity.

Harold Stassen in dayes of olde would be a grandfather of the career path.

Along with Herman Cain.. Also someone made some cold cash in 2011 before someone announced she wasn't running for President at the last minute. Not saying any names though.

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2014, 05:55:41 pm »

Along with Herman Cain.. Also someone made some cold cash in 2011 before someone announced she wasn't running for President at the last minute. Not saying any names though.
Herb didn't really need the money, so I think he did it for recognition.

Palin truly needed the dough. She may have gotten her family set now, to a point that residuals from her ardent groupies pay well enough, to ride it for years. She is pleasing to the eyes, but not to the ears.

Jerry Brown could arise, after several decades, with two stints as Governor of our largest state, plus several entries for Potus.

Offline kevindavis007

« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2014, 06:06:34 pm »
Herb didn't really need the money, so I think he did it for recognition.

Palin truly needed the dough. She may have gotten her family set now, to a point that residuals from her ardent groupies pay well enough, to ride it for years. She is pleasing to the eyes, but not to the ears.

Jerry Brown could arise, after several decades, with two stints as Governor of our largest state, plus several entries for Potus.

I think you are right on all three counts...

Online mountaineer

« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2014, 06:53:39 pm »
Sen. Rand Paul’s views on foreign policy are dangerously aligned with President Obama’s, Rick Santorum said
Impossible. Obama doesn't have a foreign policy - unless you call "whatever diminishes the USA" a policy.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org