Author Topic: Rand Paul: GOP like bad pizza crust  (Read 819 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Rand Paul: GOP like bad pizza crust
« on: March 21, 2014, 08:22:22 am »
http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2014/03/19/rand-paul-gop-like-bad-pizza-crust/

(CNN) – Rand Paul put a new spin on a familiar refrain that the Republican Party needs to broaden its base. He compared the GOP's need for change to a recent Domino's Pizza's campaign to improve the taste of its crust.

The Kentucky senator and potential 2016 presidential candidate told a packed crowd of students at the University of California at Berkeley on Wednesday that "the Republican Party needs to either evolve, adapt or die."

"Remember when Domino’s finally admitted they had bad crust? Think Republican Party. Admit it; bad crust. We need a different kind of party," he said referring to a well-known advertising campaign by the pizza chain.

After complaints from customers of stale, flavorless crust, Domino’s promised change and documented its efforts to come up with better tasting pizza.

Paul's prescription that his own party should undergo a public reinvention comes one year after the Republican National Committee engaged in what has come to be known as a post-election loss "autopsy." It was an analysis of its shortcomings following President Barack Obama’s reelection.

Paul, a high-profile conservative figure, is seriously considering a run for the White House in 2016.

Further stirring speculation of a presidential run, Paul has been reaching out to historically less-friendly demographic territory for Republicans - like the notoriously liberal-leaning student body at UC Berkeley - to spread his message of limited-government libertarianism.

Asked during the question-and-answer part of the forum whether his apparent attempt to step into previously uncharted territory for Republican candidates is also an effort to broaden personal appeal as he contemplates a run for higher office, Paul said, "Maybe."

"Part of it might be that," he said to applause.

Paul said that a candidate who champions individuals' rights against government infringement should appeal to a wide audience given the state of the war on drugs and the United States' justice system.

"Think about it. If you're African American, Japanese American, Jewish American, Hispanic - have there every been times when the government didn't treat you fairly? Have there ever been times when you said, you know what, the war on drugs has had a racial outcome," Paul said.

"Maybe a candidate who would stand up and say everybody deserves their day in court. The law should not have a racial outcome," he said. "Maybe then people would say, ‘I always hated those Republicans and their crust sucks but maybe there's some new Republicans.’ Maybe there will be a new GOP."

Paul, like his father, former presidential candidate and libertarian icon Ron Paul, has generated a sizable following among a younger generation.

Keenly aware of his student-age audience, Paul's pizza analogy could appeal to a demographic that helped launch Barack Obama from Illinois senator to the Oval Office - millennials.

A recent CNN/ORC International poll shows Paul is at the top of a crowded field of potential Republican presidential candidates, with 16% support among Republicans nationwide.
=============================
I never eat the crust.  Pizza bones are for the dog. 
"If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough." - Albert Einstein
"Think Republican Party. Admit it; bad crust." - Sen Rand Paul
"Let them eat crust" - GOPe

Offline MBB1984

Re: Rand Paul: GOP like bad pizza crust
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2014, 06:42:10 pm »
I am glad he spoke at UC-Berkley.  But, I am sick of Rand's vague metaphors.  He needs to specify, in detail, how he wants the GOP changed, or eat his pizza and shut up.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2014, 07:21:00 pm »
I am glad he spoke at UC-Berkley.  But, I am sick of Rand's vague metaphors.  He needs to specify, in detail, how he wants the GOP changed, or eat his pizza and shut up.
The Free Speech movement dates to the 60s at Cal Berkeley. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Free_Speech_Movement

There is a potential under a new political paradigm for "conservatism" to retake the ground held under "classical liberalism" with respect to personal freedoms, etc.

The "can opener" Rand Paul is using, is the personal information snooping of big government. It may be vague to some, but others "get it."
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: March 21, 2014, 07:48:20 pm »

policy wonk speeches don't inspire.  Reagan often used broad speeches intended to inspire, rather than detail-oriented policy wonk speeches intended to edify.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2014, 01:29:27 am »
policy wonk speeches don't inspire.  Reagan often used broad speeches intended to inspire, rather than detail-oriented policy wonk speeches intended to edify.

More often, Reagan gave speeches as to what he actually wanted to accomplish, such as a stronger defense, lower taxes, and less government.  If the GOP is in such need of "dramatic" change, he better enunciate what needs changing or he is just another blowhard.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2014, 03:08:01 am »
More often, Reagan gave speeches as to what he actually wanted to accomplish, such as a stronger defense, lower taxes, and less government.  If the GOP is in such need of "dramatic" change, he better enunciate what needs changing or he is just another blowhard.

hmmm, how about getting rid of those too-prissy-by-far tea partiers (not all, but a lot) who would prefer to be martyrs than actually get down in the muck of real politics and try to win elections?  how about getting rid of social antediluvians who want to waste all of the party's political capital going after social causes that (a) will never, ever succeed - mainly because the Supreme Court would bat them down in an instant - and (b) chase even the unoffensive moderate republicans away?  Quite honestly, I'm a little tired of that tail wagging the dog.

then again, one has to know how to speak to the audience one's in front of, and that audience was one that still needs to be attracted to the republican side - the right side - in the first place.
« Last Edit: March 22, 2014, 03:13:38 am by Oceander »