Author Topic: White House confirms Executive order affects entire Russian Arms industry  (Read 403 times)

rangerrebew

White House Confirms Executive Order Affects Entire Russian Arms Industry

March 20 2014

by Dan Cannon

The other day we reported that a press release issued by President Obama might affect the Russian arms/ammo industries. Many people said it would not. However it’s pretty clear based on the wording of the EO that it could.

Here is the wording of the EO,

Section 1. (a) All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person (including any foreign branch) of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in:

(i) the persons listed in the Annex to this order; and

(ii) persons determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State:

(B) to operate in the arms or related materiel sector in the Russian Federation;

Many people thought that this only affected the named people by reading “(i) the persons listed in the Annex to this order”, however on the next line it also includes “(ii) persons determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State”.

When you’re reading an executive order, legislation, etc that has many different components, you can read the broken out, individual sections in sentence form by combining parent statements with their child statements for it to make more sense, so in this case we, this is basically what the president is saying with this order in regards to the arms industry in Russia,

“All property and interests in property that are in the United States, that hereafter come within the United States, or that are or hereafter come within the possession or control of any United States person (including any foreign branch) of the following persons are blocked and may not be transferred, paid, exported, withdrawn, or otherwise dealt in the persons listed in the Annex to this order; and persons determined by the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State to operate in the arms or related materiel sector in the Russian Federation.”

This is pretty clear, but a lot of people still questioned whether this applied to all persons in the arms industry in Russia. Well recently, the White House clarified, and it does (emphasis mine).

This new authority expands upon E.O. 13660, which the President signed less than two weeks ago, by authorizing the Secretary of the Treasury, in consultation with the Secretary of State, to impose sanctions on named officials of the Russian government, any individual or entity that operates in the Russian arms industry, and any designated individual or entity that acts on behalf of, or that provides material or other support to, any senior Russian government official. We have fashioned these sanctions to impose costs on named individuals who wield influence in the Russian government and those responsible for the deteriorating situation in Ukraine. We stand ready to use these authorities in a direct and targeted fashion as events warrant.

Also, as I previously mentioned, while it’s clear the entire Russian arms industry will be affected until this gets worked out, I don’t think it will create any shortages of weapons or ammo. Ammo makers in the US and other countries are doing a pretty good job of keeping up with the centerfire market for the most part right now (rimfire, especially 22lr is another story).

http://gunssavelives.net/blog/breaking-white-house-confirms-executive-order-affects-entire-russian-arms-industry/?utm_source=feedburner&utm_medium=email&utm_campaign=Feed%3A+gunssavelives%2FYUiF+%28Guns+Save+Lives%29#
« Last Edit: March 21, 2014, 10:22:24 am by rangerrebew »