Author Topic: HOA tells cancer survivor to remove pink ribbon inside home  (Read 1744 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
HOA tells cancer survivor to remove pink ribbon inside home
« on: March 20, 2014, 03:33:50 pm »
Mar 19th 2014 12:22PM

One South Florida woman was told by her homeowners' association to remove a large pink breast cancer ribbon she has taped up inside her house.

Linda Karp spoke with "Fox & Friends" anchor Elisabeth Hasselbeck about what her homeowners' association has been saying.

'I haven't heard directly from them other than their bullying when they're walking past my house now this week. But my ribbon still stands. It's still in my doorway, and it will remain there.'

Karp, who beat breast cancer 16 years ago, has rented a villa in the Regent Park complex in Naples, Florida, for the past three years.

The Washington Times reports her homeowner's association notified Karp last Thursday that her pink ribbon was violating the rules set out by the association, which states residents can't place any sign, advertisement or poster on any part of their property.

WFTX reports the homeowners' association refused to be interviewed, but gave a reporter a copy of the rules. Under the signs section, the rules read:

'In order to maintain an attractive community no sign, advertisement or poster shall be exhibited, displayed, inscribed, painted or affixed in, on or upon any part of the properties by an owner or occupant.'

http://www.aol.com/article/2014/03/19/hoa-tells-cancer-survivor-to-remove-pink-ribbon-inside-home/20853012/#!slide=2493987

Many years ago I recall reading directly from a UN Agenda 21 document that HOA's in America are some how tied to the UN's Agenda 21 Plan. IIRC: Via a UN subsidiary.

I believe this is it?

http://www.crossroad.to/text/articles/la21_198.html

"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Re: HOA tells cancer survivor to remove pink ribbon inside home
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 03:43:46 pm »
Dear HoA.

Eff off.

Regards.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 04:06:30 pm »
Dear HoA.

Eff off.

Regards.

I agree but bottom-line. This garbage was in their HOA contract they signed. HOA's had a cliche' of high class. Now, I think the only cliche' it has, is tyranny.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Oceander

« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 04:07:41 pm »
HOAs are America's little brown shirts.  Many are not too bad, but the rules are generally so broad that if you get a busybody in as president, he or she can wreak havoc on the neighborhood.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 04:24:26 pm »
I agree but bottom-line. This garbage was in their HOA contract they signed. HOA's had a cliche' of high class. Now, I think the only cliche' it has, is tyranny.

What is inside your home is no business of anyones. Full stop.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 04:27:48 pm »
HOAs are America's little brown shirts.  Many are not too bad, but the rules are generally so broad that if you get a busybody in as president, he or she can wreak havoc on the neighborhood.

Yes, indeed. HOA's started to stop people from putting up chicken-coops in an upscale neighborhood. Then they graduated to matching yuppie mailboxes and landscaping. Now the head of the HOA busybody walks around the neighborhood and if your window blind is dirty or turned the wrong-way you get a nastygram. I have even heard of two little boys playing in a tree getting cited to the homeowner because they were hurting the tree.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 04:28:40 pm by Gazoo »

Oceander

« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 04:28:41 pm »

It is if you've contractually agreed that it is.  HOA agreements are part and parcel of the houses in the development and, I believe, run with the land.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 04:31:39 pm »

I agree, but the problem is no one pays attention to the 5 page HOA agreement when they are anxiously signing a stack of papers buying their home. Legally they have agreed to this and many other things.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 04:34:14 pm »
It is if you've contractually agreed that it is.  HOA agreements are part and parcel of the houses in the development and, I believe, run with the land.

Then it is wrong. If you are renting, that is one thing. The landlord obviously has the right to ensure you are not trashing his property. Buying - just no. Keep your garden neat and the exterior of your house tidy, fine. It impacts the look of the neighborhood. Inside - it's no ones business if you have a pink ribbon, an alter to Satan or the one true cross complete with blood stains.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 04:41:03 pm »
They shouldn't be able to tell you what can be displayed inside your home.  I'd have to argue with them on that one.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 04:48:44 pm »
Then it is wrong. If you are renting, that is one thing. The landlord obviously has the right to ensure you are not trashing his property. Buying - just no. Keep your garden neat and the exterior of your house tidy, fine. It impacts the look of the neighborhood. Inside - it's no ones business if you have a pink ribbon, an alter to Satan or the one true cross complete with blood stains.

What's wrong?  And how?  It might be morally wrong, but that wouldn't be enough to have the otherwise valid contract torn up.  And it's more like having something on the exterior of your house than it is having something that can't be seen from inside your house.  If the ribbon were hung on the outside of the window, then it would clearly fall under your allowance for keeping the exterior tidy, so just putting a pane of glass between it and the outside isn't really a substantive difference.

And HOA agreements deal with many more picayune matters:  they have a set of allowable paint colors for each unit, and if an owner wants to repaint, or even replace the screen door, that has to be done in conformity with the HOA rules.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 04:50:22 pm »
The ribbon is technically inside her porch?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 04:51:13 pm »
This is one of the advantages of living in Redneckville.  We live in a suburban community and the neighborhood "busybody" got all upset because someone built a 6 foot high privacy fence around their new swimming pool in the back yard.  He went around house to house to get us all to sign a petition because it was "against the written rules" of the development.  Not one neighbor signed his petition, he was basically told to F**k off and mind your own business. 

A lot of people have built privacy fences since then, the busybody died - and no one has stepped up to take his place. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 05:25:26 pm by Gazoo »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: March 20, 2014, 05:26:49 pm »
This is one of the advantages of living in Redneckville.  We live in a suburban community and the neighborhood "busybody" got all upset because someone built a 6 foot high privacy fence around their new swimming pool in the back yard.  He went around house to house to get us all to sign a petition because it was "against the written rules" of the development.  Not one neighbor signed his petition, he was basically told to F**k off and mind your own business. 

A lot of people have built privacy fences since then, the busybody died - and no one has stepped up to take his place.

:beer: I'll take redneckville any day of the week over HOA neighborhoods.

The sad thing is even in the country, HOA's pop up just like you described.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #15 on: March 20, 2014, 05:27:16 pm »
HOA's have been pulling heavy-handed stunts like this for years, and I wouldn't live under one no matter what.  I don't need anyone telling me what I can or cannot do on my property or inside my house, but there are those who do, and they are the ones who belong to these HOA's.

No thanks, and buyer beware.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #16 on: March 20, 2014, 05:38:46 pm »
:beer: I'll take redneckville any day of the week over HOA neighborhoods.

The sad thing is even in the country, HOA's pop up just like you described.

Yeah.  "Let the buyer beware."  Always read the small print!  I would never live somewhere like that.  My sister lives in one of those places, she has to get permission to do any landscaping or to choose paint colors for her house.  No thanks!

Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!