• Owner
  • Administrator
« on: March 20, 2014, 10:04:27 AM »

Support the USO

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 10:37:42 AM »
We're not going to war over Crimea, and instead we'll do nothing.  This is typical of leftists.  They behave as though the only options are to go to war or do nothing.  Actually, in this case Obama did do something.  He issued sanctions against some Russian officials for things they didn't do or have, anyway, and they laughed at him for it.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 10:53:32 AM »
Of course we're not going to start a hot war with Russia over Crimea, but so what?  No US President, including Reagan, would have started a hot war with Russia (or the old Soviet Union) solely over Crimea.  However, some of those presidents, including most definitely Reagan, would have kicked up a cold war over Crimea; there are plenty of other tools we have to exert pressure, we just don't have the political will to use them.

Offline rb224315

• Custom Title goes here
  • Personal Text goes here
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 10:59:34 AM »
there are plenty of other tools we have to exert pressure, we just don't have the political will to use them.

This is exactly right, but I'd add one more thing:  I don't believe the administration has the minds required to create those other tools.  I just don't think they understand foreign policy well enough to know what other options are available.
rb224315:  just another "Creepy-ass Cracka".

Online Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 11:00:21 AM »
This is exactly right, but I'd add one more thing:  I don't believe the administration has the minds required to create those other tools.  I just don't think they understand foreign policy well enough to know what other options are available.

They don't even have the wits to use the tools that are lying around ready for use right now.  For example, instead of that laughable asset freeze against fewer than 10 individuals, the US could impose a general freeze on the assets of all the Russian oligarchs allied with Putin.  It wouldn't matter if a court ultimately found the freeze to be wrongful because the assets would have already been frozen, achieving the political goal, and it would take months, if not years, to finish a legal fight over the validity of the freeze.  What we should be going for here is precisely what Putin did with Crimea, act first and ask for forgiveness later, if need be.  A freeze on the foreign assets of the Russian oligarchs would be very effective, even if ultimately invalid, because they would then be presented with two alternatives:  do what the West wants - put sufficient pressure on Putin to make him back down - or spend years, and hundreds of thousands of dollars, litigating against the freeze all the while not having access to the frozen assets.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 11:04:22 AM by Oceander »

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf