Author Topic: Tea Party Candidate Wins Race For PA Senate As A Write-In  (Read 1621 times)

Offline happyg

Tea Party Candidate Wins Race For PA Senate As A Write-In
« on: March 20, 2014, 02:22:45 am »
Portent of November 2014 races?

Via York Dispatch

Update: Politicos and election officials are confirming Republican Scott Wagner’s apparent victory in the 28th Senate as the first time a write-in candidate has won an election for state Senate in Pennsylvania.

Only about 22,300 voters cast ballots in Tuesday’s special election, for a turnout of 13.6 percent, according to unofficial numbers from the county’s elections office.

Here’s The York Dispatch’s coverage of the historic win:

In what appears to be an unexpected victory for a conservative businessman who has made a point of bucking his own party, Republican Scott Wagner is presumed to have won a write-in campaign to defeat party nominee Ron Miller for an open seat in the state Senate.

Keep reading…

http://weaselzippers.us/

Offline happyg

Re: Tea Party Candidate Wins Race For PA Senate As A Write-In
« Reply #1 on: March 20, 2014, 11:26:53 am »
Scott Wagner's presumed win a historic first
CHRISTINA KAUFFMAN

Update: Politicos and election officials are confirming Republican Scott Wagner's apparent victory in the 28th Senate as the first time a write-in candidate has won an election for state Senate in Pennsylvania.

Only about 22,300 voters cast ballots in Tuesday's special election, for a turnout of 13.6 percent, according to unofficial numbers from the county's elections office.

Here's The York Dispatch's coverage of the historic win:

In what appears to be an unexpected victory for a conservative businessman who has made a point of bucking his own party, Republican Scott Wagner is presumed to have won a write-in campaign to defeat party nominee Ron Miller for an open seat in the state Senate.

Ron Miller talks to reporters after conceding the Special 28th Senate race to Scott Wagner Tuesday night.
Ron Miller talks to reporters after conceding the Special 28th Senate race to Scott Wagner Tuesday night. (Bil Bowden)

The closely watched, hotly contested face-off ended in disappointment for the Republican mainstay and a first major victory for the tea party in York County.

With 100 percent of precincts reporting Tuesday night, write-in votes totaled 10,595, or 47.7 percent, to Miller's 5,920, or 26.6 percent. Democrat Linda Small of New Freedom nearly edged out Miller with 5,704 votes, for 25.7 percent.

If all or most of the write-in votes are, as expected, for Wagner, he will have won the race by a healthy margin. County elections director Nikki Suchanic said officials will start poring over the results Thursday, counting write-in votes and confirming their intended recipients. Preliminary election certification is expected for Monday, she said.

Strategy in motion: Miller conceded the race before 9:30 p.m., calling Wagner and congratulating him, he told a crowd of media gathered outside county Republican headquarters.

He said a lot of effort and support had been poured into the race, but his efforts fell short.

Wagner's camp gathered around him in a skybox at Santander Stadium, chanting "Senator Wagner" at one point during his victory speech.

Linda small thanks the crowd at Democratic Headquarters for their help.
Linda small thanks the crowd at Democratic Headquarters for their help. (Greg Gross)

Wagner said he and his supporters were told they couldn't run a successful write-in campaign, but he developed an in-depth strategy to respond to the "bombs" the "political hit-squad," the state GOP mainstay, would send his way.

Since announcing his candidacy in September, Wagner drafted hundreds of volunteers and planned ahead so much that all he had to do was pull a plan "off the shelf" and execute it when the time was right, he said.

More at link: http://www.yorkdispatch.com/ci_25365621/york-county-polling-sites-report-low-turnout-28th

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 20, 2014, 12:42:39 pm »
What? A smart, forward thinking, grass roots campaign?

Why is he screwing around in the state senate? Get him to Washington at once!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #3 on: March 20, 2014, 01:28:33 pm »
Next up....another obituary on the TEA Party movement......
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:47:10 pm »
What? A smart, forward thinking, grass roots campaign?

Why is he screwing around in the state senate? Get him to Washington at once!
It's a good start. Heaven knows Pennsylvania needs some common sense.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:50:06 pm »
Next up....another obituary on the TEA Party movement......

that all depends on the specifics he was running on.  The article says he has made a point of bucking his own party - how so, and with what effect?

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 03:09:41 pm »
that all depends on the specifics he was running on.  The article says he has made a point of bucking his own party - how so, and with what effect?

I can't say for certain, because there isn't much info on this guy. That said, I'm going to be watching to see just what can be found out.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 03:51:24 pm »
It's a good start. Heaven knows Pennsylvania needs some common sense.

I was only slightly teasing. There is only one way to get the country back. One state house, one governors mansion, one school board at a time. Worked for the left - why not for the right?
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: March 21, 2014, 12:29:56 am »
I was only slightly teasing. There is only one way to get the country back. One state house, one governors mansion, one school board at a time. Worked for the left - why not for the right?

that is the way to do it.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: March 21, 2014, 07:39:22 am »
Senate Minority Whip Cornyn and House Rules Chairman and former NRCC Chairman Pete Sessions would like to congratulate Scott Wagner and all of those who made this historic night possible.  State Senator Wagner's stunning victory will allow the PA State Senate to retain it's 27 to 23 majority over the rats.  At least until Nov 30th when it will be up for re-election.

http://www.pennlive.com/midstate/index.ssf/2014/03/york_county_senate_seat_winner.html

Wagner said during a campaign stop last week that he plans to move right into campaign mode immediately after the special election to gear up for the May 20 primary when he will stand for election again against Miller and political newcomer Zachary Hearn, 37, of Windsor Twp.,  for the Republican nomination for the Senate seat. Small is unopposed in her bid for the Democratic nomination in the spring primary.

163,617 registered voters
22,300 votes cast 13.6%voter participation.
10,595 write ins, most are expected to be for Wagner.  If he got them all that is  6.4% of the vote.  Certification is Monday.

6.4% of The PEOPLE of PA Senate district 28 have spoken!
I feel a Juggernaut of Liberty and Freedom marching on to Washington.
I can almost smell the smoke of the muskets. :patriot: