Author Topic: STOP SMOKING?  (Read 4115 times)

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
STOP SMOKING?
« on: March 19, 2014, 01:20:06 pm »
Just curious about how many are currently or recently in the process of giving up smoking? How long have you smoked? How many times have you tried to quit?
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
Re: STOP SMOKING?
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:25:52 pm »
I quit 6 years ago April 1st....and would kill for a smoke..lol..it's just a matter of will power.

...btw I did it cold turkey.....
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 01:26:36 pm by mystery-ak »
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 01:27:53 pm »
Had my first cigarette at 7. Smoked ever since. Thought of quitting a few times, not bothered yet. Best I can do is get myself down to about 5 a day.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline xyno

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 01:33:41 pm »
Never smoked.  But then, I'm only 7.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2014, 01:51:17 pm »
I quit 6 years ago April 1st....and would kill for a smoke..lol..it's just a matter of will power.

Good for you!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2014, 01:52:27 pm »
Had my first cigarette at 7. Smoked ever since. Thought of quitting a few times, not bothered yet. Best I can do is get myself down to about 5 a day.
Damn!! 7 is pretty young!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2014, 01:53:25 pm »
Never smoked.  But then, I'm only 7.
Uh huh. I'm the Easter Bunny. Nice to meet you, Kid.

Offline xyno

« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2014, 01:58:19 pm »

Well done m-ak! 

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2014, 01:58:51 pm »
Smoke two or three cigars a week.  Don't inhale. 

I go on two and three-week stretches and don't smoke at all.    But nothing like a good cigar and a glass of Port.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #9 on: March 19, 2014, 02:02:13 pm »
Damn!! 7 is pretty young!

Never lived on a sheep farm, did you?  :beer:

You know that phrase, "blowing smoke up your ass?" You do that to sheep, since it paralyses the bot fly grubs and you can pull them out with a pair of tweezers. Their claws let go. One of the less savory aspects of hill farming. Also works on ticks in the ears.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #10 on: March 19, 2014, 02:04:37 pm »
It will be 28 years this year since I quit.  My husband quit almost 10 years ago.  I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day, he was a chain smoker.  That 18 year gap was very hard for me with him smoking around me all of the time.  He tried to quit a few times, but just couldn't.  I hated the smell of it, and it got so that the clicking sound of his Zippo lighter would cause a nerve tremor and facial tic in me.  I nagged at him constantly about it - it wasn't pleasant.

One day, my mother (God bless her) said, "let's just start praying every day for him to quit".

We set a certain time that every day we would both stop what we were doing and say a prayer for him to quit smoking.  We did this faithfully for over a year. 

One day he came home and said, "I've quit smoking." -He still had an open pack left and packs left in the carton!  He never smoked another cigarette.

He knows if he smokes one, he would start again.  Me, I still bum a menthol off a friend of mine about once a month (not around my husband though).

***cool cat*** 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #11 on: March 19, 2014, 02:09:49 pm »

You know that phrase, "blowing smoke up your ass?" You do that to sheep, since it paralyses the bot fly grubs and you can pull them out with a pair of tweezers. Their claws let go. One of the less savory aspects of hill farming. Also works on ticks in the ears.

My father was about that age when he started smoking, picking up butts that adults dropped on the ground.  For all of my childhood, he smoked non-filter Camels.  Later, he switched to a pipe, thinking it was healthier.  He grew up on a farm too, but they didn't have sheep. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #12 on: March 19, 2014, 02:15:16 pm »

I grew up on a dairy farm. No sheep at all. I understand where you're coming from, though. One good thing about living on a farm is you can experience all manner of things that city kids would never understand.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #13 on: March 19, 2014, 02:18:00 pm »
It will be 28 years this year since I quit.  My husband quit almost 10 years ago.  I smoked 2 1/2 packs a day, he was a chain smoker.  That 18 year gap was very hard for me with him smoking around me all of the time.  He tried to quit a few times, but just couldn't.  I hated the smell of it, and it got so that the clicking sound of his Zippo lighter would cause a nerve tremor and facial tic in me.  I nagged at him constantly about it - it wasn't pleasant.

One day, my mother (God bless her) said, "let's just start praying every day for him to quit".

We set a certain time that every day we would both stop what we were doing and say a prayer for him to quit smoking.  We did this faithfully for over a year. 

One day he came home and said, "I've quit smoking." -He still had an open pack left and packs left in the carton!  He never smoked another cigarette.

He knows if he smokes one, he would start again.  Me, I still bum a menthol off a friend of mine about once a month (not around my husband though).

***cool cat***
How cool is that? Good for both you and your husband!!

Offline xyno

« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 03:16:21 pm »
I grew up on a dairy farm. No sheep at all. I understand where you're coming from, though. One good thing about living on a farm is you can experience all manner of things that city kids would never understand.

Packer fan, dairy farm.  Hmmm... Wisconsin, perhaps?

Offline Howie66

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 03:19:58 pm »
Packer fan, dairy farm.  Hmmm... Wisconsin, perhaps?

You bet! Born and raised there!

Offline xyno

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 03:37:29 pm »
You bet! Born and raised there!

I wish Kevin Greene was still on the coaching staff with the Packers.  He'd get Julius Peppers' motor running!  Go Pack Go!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 03:59:08 pm »
I wish Kevin Greene was still on the coaching staff with the Packers.  He'd get Julius Peppers' motor running!  Go Pack Go!
I really liked having Greene on the sidelines! He was and remains a real beast! That said, I think that we are going to be just fine this coming season. I am a huge fan of Ted Thompson and trust in his judgement, 100%.

I had the honor of being able to drink some beers and talk some serious football with Thompson back in the days when he was playing for the Houston Oilers. I swear, the man is a football genius! I'm not kidding, either.

I really like the idea of having Peppers added to our defense. I see good things happening this season.

Offline xyno

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 04:07:53 pm »

I really like the idea of having Peppers added to our defense. I see good things happening this season.

Thanks for the comments.  All of them!

I feel good too.  It always comes down to health, doesn't it?

Offline Howie66

« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 04:20:00 pm »
Thanks for the comments.  All of them!

I feel good too.  It always comes down to health, doesn't it?
You bet!

GO!! PACK!! GO!!

Offline NavyCanDo

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 06:15:12 pm »
I started when I was about 16 when a pack was about 50 cents. I quit when they hit a dollar a pack at age 25.    I was thinking who is crazy enough to pay a dollar a pack?   What are they now?   $8.31 a pack here in Washington.    If I would ask someone how would they like to get a $3000 raise this year, everyone would say “ hell yea”.   Well all they have to do is stop smoking.
A nation that turns away from prayer will ultimately find itself in desperate need of it. :Jonathan Cahn

Offline WAYNE

« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2014, 07:06:13 pm »
  I had my first smoke in 1948. Didnt know how to smoke really . I started smoking for real when I was 12 and smoked for 50 or so years . I tried to quit about 20 or 30 times butt gave them up cold turkey about 8 years ago.
  I'm still amazed at what I put myself through to "learn" to smoke .  When I started it was cool..

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #22 on: March 19, 2014, 07:15:31 pm »
Never smoked, probably because my grandfather started at age 12 and died at 64.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Olivia

« Reply #23 on: March 19, 2014, 07:26:54 pm »
I was a two pack a day smoker but actually hated smoking...wanted to quit so bad but didn't want the patches.
I bought plastic straws, cut them in half and smoked them for a couple of weeks.  Weren't anything but air but it put me through the motion of smoking, plus, I put a rubber band on my arm and snapped it for something to do with my hands.  It took a couple of weeks but I made it.  That was fifteen years ago.  I could still smoke but, wow...I will not pay for them!
Truthfully, the most important thing in life is knowing what the most important things in life are, and prioritizing them accordingly.   Melchor Lim

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #24 on: March 19, 2014, 07:40:15 pm »

Back in 1968...played a lot of pinochle  and somebody bet dinner for two (one couple) at the restaurant of one's choice for the 1st person to stop smoking.

At the time I was opening up and stocking four different stores at a new regional mall sitting in the middle of a freaking 250 acre cornfield.

Started at sunrise and went home at midnight.....for about two weeks.

Nothing was open in the mall...some places didn't even have electricity yet.

We'd send the stockboys out for hotdogs and burgers, etc......it was the easiest bet to win when you don't have access.

Haven't smoked...(tobacco) since.  LOL!
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald