Author Topic: Mitch McConnell Freaks Out and Calls The Police on Reporter Who He Feared Questions From  (Read 1401 times)

Offline happyg

In an insane abuse of power, the news editor for LEO Weekly, Joe Sonka, had the police called on him, and was threatened with arrest because Mitch McConnell was afraid that he would ask questions at a press conference.

According to the Courier-Journal:
The campaign called on the Louisville Metro Police to make sure that Sonka, who has been critical of McConnell in the past, from entering the conference room at the Hilton Garden Inn, on Crittenden Drive, where the event was held.

Sonka said he was originally told that he couldn’t attend because there was limited space in the room. In fact, there were numerous empty chairs in the room.

Moments before the event, Jesse Benton, McConnell’s campaign manager, said that Sonka had been barred because other reporters had objected to Sonka asking questions. Benton refused to say who that reporter was.

This wasn’t the first time McConnell’s staff tried to keep Sonka out of an event. On February 14, before a campaign appearance at a Louisville business, Sonka was asked to leave but was allowed to return by the businesses’ owner.

“I think they were afraid I was going to ask him a question that he was going to have difficulty with,” Sonka said in an interview. Benton “said I could come in if I didn’t ask any questions, then when I told him I’d like to, he said he’d get the police to put me under arrest.”

Freedom of the press? Not so much in Mitch McConnell’s Kentucky. McConnell can’t run on his record, so he is forced to try to strong arm the press in order to prevent voters from finding out the truth about their senator.

Mitch McConnell is so desperate to keep his Senate seat that he called the police on a reporter because he was afraid that the journalist was going to ask him a question that he could not answer.

McConnell has spent over $10 million on ads that have gotten him absolutely nowhere. He is tied or trailing his Democratic opponent in every single poll of the state. His approval is lower than President Obama’s.

The last thing that all strongmen try to do before they fall is silence the media. Mitch McConnell is now trying to silence the media. Mitch McConnell has ruled over Kentucky politics for decades, but it appears that his reign might finally be coming to an end.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/03/17/mitch-mcconnell-freaks-calls-police-reporter-feared-questions.html

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
...Moments before the event, Jesse Benton, McConnell’s campaign manager......

We'll that's interesting. I wonder if it is the same Jesse Benton who was Ron Paul's campaign manager & later married Paul's daughter then worked for Rand Paul?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jesse_Benton

Yep, that's him. The guy is very, very unprofessional so I'm not surprised by this incident.

For what it's worth, even Anonymous went after this guy for sabotaging Paul. (not saying he did, Paul did enough of that on his own)
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2012/11/anonymous-reports-jesse-benton.html

Offline katzenjammer

We'll that's interesting. I wonder if it is the same Jesse Benton who was Ron Paul's campaign manager & later married Paul's daughter then worked for Rand Paul?

Yep, that's him. The guy is very, very unprofessional so I'm not surprised by this incident.

For what it's worth, even Anonymous went after this guy for sabotaging Paul. (not saying he did, Paul did enough of that on his own)
http://www.economicpolicyjournal.com/2012/11/anonymous-reports-jesse-benton.html

Oh yes, that's him...  This guy has caused a whole lot of grief everywhere he has gone lately...

(I'm pretty sure he married a grand daughter.)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:14:05 pm by katzenjammer »

Offline aligncare

Maybe this explains why Rand Paul endorsed McConnell? That endorsement took some of the luster from Paul's shiny armor, in my eyes.

Offline katzenjammer

Yes, and I agree.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Maybe this explains why Rand Paul endorsed McConnell? That endorsement took some of the luster from Paul's shiny armor, in my eyes.

Perry also did as well as Ann Coulter. I hadn't followed the case, but I think it has to do with the challenger Bevin.  He supported Democrats financially in the past as well as fringe party candidates (Constitution party against Bush). He also denied being someone who supported the Tea Party.  Maybe they are worried Bevin is some sort of spoiler and not the candidate people think he is.

Offline aligncare

I generally defer to those closest and in position to know. That's why alice has my ear on Kentucky politics. I sure hope Bevin is not a stalking horse.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
I have just recently noticed the news site of this threads original article. I have no idea if they are new on the scene or not. A quick peruse of their articles have shown them to be very progressive left, reminding me of Think Progress, media matters and so forth.

I suggest strong caution to accepting this article at face value. The left have crafted the art of, divide and conquer to a tee. No one sees them coming.

http://www.politicususa.com/2014/03/17/mitch-mcconnell-freaks-calls-police-reporter-feared-questions.html

They are so far left they seem to be an offshoot of CPUSA.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline sinkspur

LEO is a weekly "newspaper."  If it's anything like those around here, they contain mostly left-wing screeds against local politicians and men-seeking-men classifieds in the back.

Maybe the other reporters don't consider this guy legit or just feel dirty being in the same room with him.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Which could some what brings us back to the rumors that RON Paul is Soros funded

The Ron Paul/George Soros Connection « Pat Dollard
http://patdollard.com/2012/01/the-george-sorosron-paul-connection/

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2012/dgreenfield/ron-pauls-soros-defense-plan/

http://www.aim.org/aim-column/ron-paul-campaign-uses-soros-funded-research/print/

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
I generally defer to those closest and in position to know. That's why alice has my ear on Kentucky politics. I sure hope Bevin is not a stalking horse.

When Bevin first came on the scene, I was skeptical of him - that he was a stalking horse that the Democrats were backing to take McConnell down.  Even though I intensely dislike Mitch, I was still planning on supporting him to keep that (R) seat. 

As the campaign has gone on, and I've had a chance to see Bevin in interviews and hear his ads - I have to say I like him.  He communicates well and has kept an upbeat campaign - while McConnell's campaign has been very nasty.  Instead of touting his own record, he has obsessively called Bevin a liar and a perpetuator of a "scam" on Kentuckians.  His ads are a complete turn off, very sleazy. 

Like I've said on other threads, I continue to see more and more Bevin signs popping up in yards around here.  Yesterday I saw numerous new ones I hadn't seen just a few days ago.  No Mitch signs anywhere.  His sleazy ads are not doing him any favors, apparently. 

I had heard, some time back, that someone from Rand Paul's campaign was working for McConnell now.  I really like Rand, but was unhappy to hear he endorsed Mitch.  I've seen him since be asked in interviews about it and Paul has answered with a not-so-full-throated endorsement, saying he endorsed Mitch because Mitch asked for it, and because at the time - no one else was running against him.   :nometalk:

I felt the same when I heard that Rick Perry had endorsed McConnell.  Not happy about that.  It tells me that Paul and Perry have plans to run for President and they are covering their backs for when (or if?) McConnell wins and retains his power.  It's politics as usual, and I didn't like it when Sarah Palin did it to endorse John McCain either.   8888crybaby

If this is true about Mitch having the police called on a reporter - and I don't doubt for a second that it is true - then it tells me that Mitch's internal polling is not going well for him.  He is in trouble, and I don't doubt that the Democrat party is going all out on defeating him.  I've said all along that the Kentucky race is CRUCIAL for the dems to win - voter fraud WILL occur, I have no doubt about it. 

If Bevin is a stalking horse - apparently he's not polling that well against Mitch, with polls showing Mitch's threat being his numbers against Grimes.  So I tend to think Bevin is the real thing, unfortunately - I don't have high hopes of him actually being able to take Mitch out in the primary on May 20.  I have seen some polls that show Bevin closer to Grimes in a one-to-one election than Mitch is - so there is that.
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
Do a Bing search of the news for Russia mocking Obama. You won't find anything in the MSM. Then go over to POLITICO and look at the headlines. Not much at all on Obama and Russia. But guess what made the news at POLITICO? McConnell blocking out a 'liberal' reporter.

Mitch McConnell denies liberal writer access
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/mitch-mcconnell-media-access-104750.html?ml=po_r
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 08:22:47 am by Gazoo »

Offline aligncare

When Bevin first came on the scene, I was skeptical of him - that he was a stalking horse that the Democrats were backing to take McConnell down.  Even though I intensely dislike Mitch, I was still planning on supporting him to keep that (R) seat. 

As the campaign has gone on, and I've had a chance to see Bevin in interviews and hear his ads - I have to say I like him.  He communicates well and has kept an upbeat campaign - while McConnell's campaign has been very nasty.  Instead of touting his own record, he has obsessively called Bevin a liar and a perpetuator of a "scam" on Kentuckians.  His ads are a complete turn off, very sleazy. 

If Bevin is a stalking horse - apparently he's not polling that well against Mitch, with polls showing Mitch's threat being his numbers against Grimes.  So I tend to think Bevin is the real thing, unfortunately - I don't have high hopes of him actually being able to take Mitch out in the primary on May 20.  I have seen some polls that show Bevin closer to Grimes in a one-to-one election than Mitch is - so there is that.

This is looking scary.

We need a change in Washington but I don't want to risk handing a seat to the 'rats.  What to do?

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
This is looking scary.

We need a change in Washington but I don't want to risk handing a seat to the 'rats.  What to do?

It is scary AC.  First of all, Mitch is in the Democrat's "cross-hairs" as being a vulnerable seat because of his unpopularity.  They're putting resources and their book of tricks into the state.  I'll be pushing for Bevin in the primary because I think he might do better in a match-up with Grimes this fall - and I believe he would be a better representative for us - some new blood and more fiscally conservative.  If Bevin doesn't win, then I'll be forced to vote for Mitch this fall - but here's the thing. 

Ol' Mitch isn't doing himself any favors by saying things against tea partiers - gonna punch us in the nose and take us down.  Not everyone will be as pragmatic as I will be and it might just be his undoing in the fall against Grimes.  I hope not, but in spite of Kentucky hating Obama (because of coal), Democrats still outnumber Republicans greatly here.  Mitch could push a lot of people away with his stupid bluster.  Especially if Grimes distances herself from Obama.  Bill Clinton is supposed to come and campaign for her, so that might help her with some disenfranchised Democrats. 

Mitch needs to stop abusing his base - he needs them.  I really just think he needs to go - he's starting to act like John McCain, like there might be a touch of dementia going on. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Rapunzel

Same here, AC
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

LEO is a weekly "newspaper."  If it's anything like those around here, they contain mostly left-wing screeds against local politicians and men-seeking-men classifieds in the back.

Maybe the other reporters don't consider this guy legit or just feel dirty being in the same room with him.

Sonka has been known to be critical of McConnell and conservatives when writing for Barefoot and Progressive, a Kentucky blog. Josh Holmes, McConnell’s former chief of staff and now a top official at the National Republican Senatorial Committee, dismissed the complaints by Sonka and other Kentucky journalists over press access: “Media at work folks: Attend #KYSEN open press event, ask about #McConnelling, go home and tweet about a lib activist who wasn’t invited.”

Read more: http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/mitch-mcconnell-media-access-104750.html#ixzz2wOMA4sIQ