Author Topic: Don't send your child to school for another day without reading this first  (Read 374 times)

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:57:05 AM by rangerrebew »
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
link??

Offline rangerrebew

• America defending Veteran
  • TBR Contributor
link??

Sorry about that.  I was busy sending to our Superintendent of Schools and to a family member who is on the state board of education and who supports Common Core.  Then old age set in and I forgot to link it here. :baghead:

http://thecommonsenseshow.com/2014/03/15/dont-send-your-child-to-school-for-another-day-without-reading-this-first/
"Of all the dispositions and habits which lead to political prosperity, religion and morality are indispensable supports. In vain would that man claim tribute to patriotism who should labor to subvert these great pillars of human happiness -- these firmest props of the duties of men and citizens. . . . reason and experience both forbid us to expect that national morality can prevail in exclusion of religious principles."
George Washington

"Only a virtuous people are capable of freedom. As nations become more corrupt and vicious, they have more need of masters."
Benjamin Franklin

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Under Common Core, a student is not expected to take Algebra until 9th grade. When you and I were in school, we took Algebra in the 8th grade. This means that if our children progress through high school on the Common Core sequence, our children will not qualify for entrance into a four year college/university. This is called the dumbing down of America and our teachers are aware of this fact.

I haven't gone through the whole thing but this part jumped out as incorrect. This change far predates common core. I went to private schools most of my life except 2 years, and did have Algebra in 8th grade in private school, but when I transferred to public schools in 9th grade, my parents had a fight to get me in a higher level class. The standard at the time (early 90s) was-
9th Grade- Pre Algebra or Geometry
10-11- Algebra
11-12- Algebra II or Trig
12- Pre Cal or Statistics (if honors, not needed  to graduate)

Pre-Algebra for 9th grade has been the standard as long as I can remember. I remember being the only Freshman in Algebra with Sophomores and Juniors. I actually had to transfer out by my Junior year because I had already taken Senior level classes and I needed to continue advanced classes to get into the Air Force Academy (my goal at the time I dropped by my Senior year)
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 10:07:32 AM by AbaraXas »

Offline AbaraXas

• ?? ??????? ?????
  • Technical
  • Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
Common Core does not require proficiency with addition and subtraction until grade 4

This actually contradicts a thread we had last night that had an addition/subtraction word problem for Kindergartners to begin teaching them the concept.

Offline Rapunzel

I had Algebra I in 9th Grade.  That was in the 50's.

Offline mountaineer

I do recall having algebra in 8th grade (1968), because that was still middle school and I distinctly remember sitting in that class. Then, algebra II in 9th, geometry in 10th, trig and calculus in 11th, and (thankfully for me) no math senior year. This was all in the public schools.
A day without sunshine is like, you know, night.

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf