Author Topic: Israeli minister: Israel can't rely on US on Iran  (Read 1129 times)

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Israeli minister: Israel can't rely on US on Iran
« on: March 18, 2014, 09:57:47 am »
While it is not exactly news to political junkies here, this is interesting for one main reason. They use a named source, not anonymous.

http://news.yahoo.com/israeli-minister-israel-cant-rely-us-iran-094720721.html

JERUSALEM (AP) — Israel cannot depend on the United States to lead any action against Iran's nuclear program and can only rely on itself, the country's defense minister said in remarks published Tuesday.

The comments by Moshe Yaalon came as world powers and Iran were about to start a new round of talks over Iran's contested nuclear program.

The West fears the program could be used to make a nuclear weapon and seeks to scale it back. Tehran denies the program has a military dimension and insists it is for peaceful purposes only, such as power generation. If a deal with world powers is reached, sanctions imposed on Iran over the nuclear program could be lifted.

Israel has criticized the ongoing talks with Tehran, saying an interim nuclear deal, struck last November, has left Iran's military nuclear capabilities largely intact while giving it relief from some economic sanctions.

At the same time, Israel's strongest piece of leverage, the threat of a military strike on Iran, has taken a back stage to the talks despite Israeli Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu's insistence it remains on the table.

Yaalon's remarks seemed to underscore that insistence.

"We thought that the one who needs to lead the campaign against Iran is the U.S.," Yaalon was quoted by the daily Haaretz as saying during a lecture at Tel Aviv University on Monday.

Instead, Yaalon said, the U.S. began negotiations with Iran and Iran gained the upper hand in the talks.

"If we wished others would do the work for us, it wouldn't be done soon, and therefore in this matter, we have to behave as if we can only rely on ourselves," Yaalon said.

Yaalon's office confirmed his remarks but refused to comment whether he was advocating an Israeli strike on Iran. Netanyahu's office also declined to comment.

More at link.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Fishrrman

• Dumbest member of the forum
Re: Israeli minister: Israel can't rely on US on Iran
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2014, 01:51:13 am »
[[ Israel cannot depend on the United States to lead any action against Iran's nuclear program and can only rely on itself, the country's defense minister said in remarks published Tuesday. ]]

It has taken them five years to come to this conclusion?

I thought the Jews were supposed to be -smart- ...

More:
[[ The comments by Moshe Yaalon came as world powers and Iran were about to start a new round of talks over Iran's contested nuclear program. ]]

Talks?  Talks?
Again, I thought the Jews were supposed to be smart...

Oceander

« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2014, 02:47:39 am »
[[ Israel cannot depend on the United States to lead any action against Iran's nuclear program and can only rely on itself, the country's defense minister said in remarks published Tuesday. ]]

It has taken them five years to come to this conclusion?

I thought the Jews were supposed to be -smart- ...

More:
[[ The comments by Moshe Yaalon came as world powers and Iran were about to start a new round of talks over Iran's contested nuclear program. ]]

Talks?  Talks?
Again, I thought the Jews were supposed to be smart...

Actually, they most likely had that figured out long ago, they've finally come to the conclusion that Obama is so weak that they will suffer no consequences if they admit in public what they've known for years.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2014, 11:47:08 pm »
Moshe Yaalon has since apologized for the remarks after a call from Kerry to Netanyahu.

I don't care what Israeli ministers say in private among themselves or to US representatives, but I'd like to see them tone down the rhetoric against the US.  We are more than Obama and his administration.  I do wish they'd remember that.   :shrug:

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #4 on: March 20, 2014, 01:22:32 am »
The simple FACT of the matter is this: Because of Obama and his misguided "community organizer" bullshit resume', our ALLIES can no longer TRUST us and our ENEMIES no longer FEAR us.

That is the plain and simple truth and the world is a more dangerous place because of it.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2014, 01:25:24 am »
Moshe Yaalon has since apologized for the remarks after a call from Kerry to Netanyahu.

I don't care what Israeli ministers say in private among themselves or to US representatives, but I'd like to see them tone down the rhetoric against the US.  We are more than Obama and his administration.  I do wish they'd remember that.   :shrug:

I have no doubt that Kerry threatened Israel with something much stronger than what they've threatened Russia with so far.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2014, 01:39:43 am »

Not disagreeing. You are way more than the Worm in the White House.

It's just easy to forget, you know? Especially for Israel, where their very existence is not even respected at the moment. I have relatives there and have worked there. To be honest, they are arrogant bleep in the main - but when you are surrounded by enemies, what else you got? You front it or go under. And they are the world champions at fronting it.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline musiclady

« Reply #7 on: March 20, 2014, 02:38:21 am »

Unfortunately, right now, we are NOT more than Obama and his administration.

We are, for the next 3 years, anti-Semitic and weak.
Character still matters.  It always matters.

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Use the time God is giving us to seek His will and feel His presence.

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...
« Reply #8 on: March 20, 2014, 02:48:50 am »
I have no doubt that Kerry threatened Israel with something much stronger than what they've threatened Russia with so far.

That is true. In characteristic Obama style, he always does the opposite of whatever he says. He said we will punish enemies and reward friends. And he has done this domestically. 

But what he has consistently done internationally, since the day he took power in America, is to punish our friends and reward our enemies on the world stage. And they all have taken note of this surprising turn of events.

Now even America is anti-American? That does not go un-noticed worldwide.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 02:49:45 am by 240B »
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #9 on: March 20, 2014, 07:02:03 pm »
Unfortunately, right now, we are NOT more than Obama and his administration.

We are, for the next 3 years, anti-Semitic and weak.

I strongly disagree with this.   The American people, particularly the Christian community, along with the vast majority of Congress folks stand with Israel.

It would be nice if our great ally in the Middle East refrained from kicking the US.   We have been and remain the best pocketbook and military ally Israel has had.  Out of respect for what the US has done for Israel through these 65 years, today's Israeli ministers need to keep their quotes against us out of the press and not further weaken us--especially so deliberately.   This is a simple request ... and it is our due.

If the Israeli ministers need to vent-- they could focus on Hollande.  That "great and true friend of Israel" who voted for the Iranian interim deal after promising Netanyahu, in Israel and on film, that he would stand firm against it. 

Yeah, that's the ticket.  Israel should go and yell at France for a while.  That would be a nice change of pace.    ^-^

Offline musiclady

« Reply #10 on: March 20, 2014, 07:24:40 pm »
I strongly disagree with this.   The American people, particularly the Christian community, along with the vast majority of Congress folks stand with Israel.

It would be nice if our great ally in the Middle East refrained from kicking the US.   We have been and remain the best pocketbook and military ally Israel has had.  Out of respect for what the US has done for Israel through these 65 years, today's Israeli ministers need to keep their quotes against us out of the press and not further weaken us--especially so deliberately.   This is a simple request ... and it is our due.

If the Israeli ministers need to vent-- they could focus on Hollande.  That "great and true friend of Israel" who voted for the Iranian interim deal after promising Netanyahu, in Israel and on film, that he would stand firm against it. 

Yeah, that's the ticket.  Israel should go and yell at France for a while.  That would be a nice change of pace.    ^-^

I see your point.

The American people, aside from the far left (mostly academia) have been firm in standing for Israel.

And the American gov't.............until NOW.............has stood with Israel, and I see why you think Israel should stop criticizing us, because we have been their staunchest ally (I heard Netanyahu speak in person, and he said those very words).

It is, however, problematic that this administration has literal disdain for Israel, so I do understand why they're openly critical of our present lack of support.

Right now, America doesn't have Israel's back.

(And I think we're going to pay for that if it isn't turned around soon).

I wear a mask as an exercise in liberty and love for others.  To see it as an infringement of liberty is to entirely miss the point.  Be kind.

"Sometimes I think the Church would be better off if we would call a moratorium on activity for about six weeks and just wait on God to see what He is waiting to do for us. That's what they did before Pentecost."   - A. W. Tozer

Online Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #11 on: March 20, 2014, 07:49:45 pm »

Right now, America doesn't have Israel's back. 

Not as visually or vocally as we have in the past ... but support on both sides of the Congressional aisle is still very high... as is AIPAC's influence (which is another conversation for another thread--LOL).   

We continue to pay billions a year in direct aid and billions more in unsecured loans, our military and the IDF still strategize, train and work together, and we hold the vote (yea or nay) to protect Israel from the UN.   So .. (in spite of Obama, Inc.) America still has Israel's back. 

What I do not ever hear are Israeli ministers, from the PM on down, publically chastising Russia, France, England, Germany .... none of whom stood/stand with Israel on the issues of additional settlements and Iran. 

It's starting to look like Israel gets some special jollies out of bashing the USA.  I don't much like that.

(But then you knew that ...  :laugh:)

Offline musiclady

« Reply #12 on: March 20, 2014, 09:07:57 pm »
Not as visually or vocally as we have in the past ... but support on both sides of the Congressional aisle is still very high... as is AIPAC's influence (which is another conversation for another thread--LOL).   

We continue to pay billions a year in direct aid and billions more in unsecured loans, our military and the IDF still strategize, train and work together, and we hold the vote (yea or nay) to protect Israel from the UN.   So .. (in spite of Obama, Inc.) America still has Israel's back. 

What I do not ever hear are Israeli ministers, from the PM on down, publically chastising Russia, France, England, Germany .... none of whom stood/stand with Israel on the issues of additional settlements and Iran. 

It's starting to look like Israel gets some special jollies out of bashing the USA.  I don't much like that.

(But then you knew that ...  :laugh:)

I did!  I DID know that!!    :patriot: