Author Topic: Actor Kevin Sorbo: Morals are Falling but Biblical Films are on Rise  (Read 446 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.newsmax.com/newswidget/kevin-sorbo-hollywood-bible-films/2014/03/17/id/560117/?promo_code=1602B-1&utm_source=1602BThe_Right_Scoop_Conservative&utm_medium=nmwidget&utm_campaign=widgetphase1

Actor Kevin Sorbo: Morals are Falling but Biblical Films are on Rise

Monday, 17 Mar 2014 07:54 PM

By Aaron Stern

Modern society may be in moral decline, but Hollywood seems to be warming up to telling Biblical tales.

That's the take of Kevin Sorbo, the man who played the titular son of Zeus in the late '90s TV show "Hercules: The Legendary Journeys."

"Morals are declining and I don't care if you're religious or not. Morals are declining," Sorbo told "The Steve Malzberg Show" on Newsmax TV. "The country is going under. We're getting worse and worse and everything is okay according to half the population in this country. Not everything is okay."

In his new movie, "God's Not Dead,” Sorbo plays a college philosophy professor who demands that his freshmen students accept that God is dead. If that seems like a far-fetched premise, Sorbo says there have been dozens of court cases that have dealt with such situations.

The movie is due out Friday, March 21, but it is already generating online buzz.

"The atheists are stirring up. You know, I find it interesting that people who don't believe in something get so angry about it," Sorbo said. "You've got extremes on both sides and I get it and I understand it."

Sorbo said that Hollywood may be coming around to Christian-themed movies, in part because they have proven money potential, and because the quality has improved.

""Blindside' was the kick off point," Sorbo said. "[Hollywood executives] said, "you know what, there's an audience out there we're not serving.'"

Sorbo said that faith and politics don't have to be divisive issues, but he sees hypocrisy on how people approach them.

"I don't vote with anger. I vote with my head and my gut and my heart," Sorbo said. "I look at the person, I look at what they stand for and what they believe in, and I just know, during the last two elections, if you didn't vote for Obama, you're considered a racist and I said "what does racism have to do with it?'

"I have white actor friends who said "I'm going to vote for him because he's black, it'll be cool to have a black president.' I said, "but that's racist.' If I said I'm going for McCain because he's a white guy, you'd call me a racist. But it's such a weird reverse thing. No matter if you say anything negative about anybody nowadays, they want to play the race card and it's insane. I just don't believe in his politics."

Sorbo said that regardless of belief, the ability to turn personal hardships into inspiration has been key to his personal success. At the end of his "Hercules" run Sorbo suffered three strokes, the result of an aneurism, that impacted his balance and vision and took years for him to recover from. He has since become a health and fitness advocate; he is a spokesman for antioxidant measurement product Fluitec and he said that simply stretching before going to sleep at night can have positive long-term health benefits.

"You've got to make tragedies comedies real quick in your life otherwise you're in for a long life," Sorbo said.

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Online mountaineer

Re: Actor Kevin Sorbo: Morals are Falling but Biblical Films are on Rise
« Reply #1 on: March 18, 2014, 08:00:25 pm »
Here's a review of the movie from the blog of a college chapter of Ratio Christi, a Christians apologetics organization.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Online mountaineer

Re: Actor Kevin Sorbo: Morals are Falling but Biblical Films are on Rise
« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2014, 08:03:05 pm »
Here's another review from Ratio Christi (excerpted):
...  Ratio Christi Chapter Directors and students have experienced in real life what Josh and Prof. Radisson portrayed on film. Numerous people we’ve talked with, outside of our own staff, have friends with children in college who’ve mentioned facing similar situations on campus. After Rick Schenker, Ratio Christi President, and some of the RC Team viewed a pre-screening of “God’s Not Dead,” Schenker said the movie really goes hand-in-hand with Ratio Christi’s campus movement and the need for it to spread.

Ratio Christi encourages every church member, pastor, parent, youth, and college student to see God’s Not Dead. This timely movie portrays the attacks that Christian students face on the college campus. We know. We train students to do exactly what Josh did — advocate for the scientific, philosophical, and historical reasons for believing in God’s existence and following Christ. The movie weaves together the complexity of what students face from professors, fellow students, and even fellow Christians when one is courageous enough to “come out” for Christ on campus. Thank you, Pure Flix, for producing a movie urging believers to contend for the faith that was entrusted to us.

You may say, “But come on — does it really happen that often at college?”

According to a 2007 survey by the Social Science Research Council1, 36.6 percent of professors at elite doctoral universities claimed to be atheists or agnostics. At the Bachelor’s degree level, it’s 22.7 to 23.5 percent. But the number of atheist instructors in the field of Psychology rises to a full 50 percent. In other words, you as a student, or your child as a student, will encounter a non-believing professor in nearly a fourth of their classes…and 50 percent of the time in Psychology. And that doesn’t mean the rest are Christians – only about 6 percent of professors are Bible-believing Christians. ...
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org