Author Topic: Dianne Feinstein wants drones regulated  (Read 535 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Dianne Feinstein wants drones regulated
« on: March 17, 2014, 11:46:34 pm »
http://www.politico.com/story/2014/03/drone-regulation-dianne-feinstein-104718.html

Dianne Feinstein wants drones regulated

By ANDREA DRUSCH | 3/16/14 8:26 PM EDT

For Sen. Dianne Feinstein, regulation of unmanned aerial vehicles has gotten personal.

In an interview with CBS’s “60 Minutes” that aired on Sunday night, the California Democrat said a drone spied into the window of her home during a protest outside her house, and that privacy concerns for the technology were “major.”

Feinstein: CIA interfered with Senate Intelligence

Feinstein appeared as a pro-regulation voice in a Morley Safer segment on the legal questions surrounding the commercial drone industry.

“When is a drone picture a benefit to society? When does it become stalking? When does it invade privacy? How close to a home can a drone go?” Feinstein said, listing questions she would like to see answered in the complex regulation process.

“I’m in my home and there’s a demonstration out front, and I go to peek out the window and there’s a drone facing me,” she recalled.

Demonstrators from Code Pink who were protesting government surveillance at the time, said the device was merely a toy helicopter, but Feinstein used the instance to sound off about the importance of controlling the technology through government regulation.

“It’s going to have to come through regulation— perhaps regulation of size and type for private use,” she said. “Some certification of the person that’s going to operate it … some specific regulation on the kinds of uses it can be put to.”

Feinstein, who is the chairwomen of the senate intelligence committee, has been a defender of the NSA’s spying program, but raised questions about the use of drones for law enforcement.

“This is a whole new world now, and it has many complications,” Feinstein said. “What is an appropriate law enforcement use for a drone? When do you have to have a warrant? When don’t you have to have a warrant? What’s the appropriate governmental use for a drone?”

�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Rapunzel

Re: Dianne Feinstein wants drones regulated
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:48:44 pm »
And last week she was upset because she found out the CIA was spying on her in the senate...... isn't it interesting when their ox is being gored all of a sudden this is a big deal - when it was us peons notsomuch important.

BTW two weeks ago Glenn Beck caught a drone hovering over his house in Texas... he had witnesses who saw it as well so no one could say he made it up.  He was not pleased.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Re: Dianne Feinstein wants drones regulated
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:50:55 pm »
right......let's regulate radio controlled aircraft armed with cameras, and ignore the ones armed with the Hellfire missiles.  How long will it be till your local Sheriff gets his hands on one of those, to go with his SWAT Team's Mine Resistant Vehicle??