Author Topic: Israel upgrades Apache helicopters after U.S. blocked their modernization  (Read 392 times)

Offline flowers

http://www.worldtribune.com/2014/03/14/israel-upgrades-apache-helicopters-after-u-s-blocked-their-modernization/

TEL AVIV — Israel, despite opposition from the Obama administration, has managed to upgrade its fleet of attack helicopters.

Military sources said the Israel Air Force has overseen a project to modernize its AH-64D Apache Longbow attack helicopters.
Israeli AH-64D Apache Longbow

Israeli AH-64D Apache Longbow

The sources said the Air Force was equipping the Apaches with two new electronic warfare systems developed in the Jewish state.

“They are based on the huge operational experience of the force in using the Apache Longbow in a variety of combat scenarios,” an officer, identified only as Maj. Yonatan, said.

The upgrade has been developed amid the U.S. refusal to modernize Israel’s Apache fleet, employed in attacks on the Hamas-ruled Gaza Strip.

The sources said the administration of President Barack Obama blocked Israeli efforts to modernize the Apaches or purchase new helicopters from Boeing.

The new Israeli systems were cited by the official magazine of the Air Force. The sources said the sensors underwent trials in early 2014 and would be integrated on the Apaches later this year.

The sources said the Air Force would enhance the AH-64A helicopter to D configuration. They cited such capabilities as avionics, EW and advanced munitions, including the AGM-114 Hellfire, produced by the U.S. firm Lockheed Martin.

“The upgraded Apaches now also carry several new Israeli missiles,” a source said.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
I am always pleased to see the Israelis stick their thumb in Obama's eye. I just warms my heart!

SHALOM!
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.