Author Topic: If you were born in the 40's, 50's. or 60's...you'll appreciate this!  (Read 1971 times)

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
If you were born in the 40's, 50's. or 60's...you'll appreciate this!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GWRdHXbTmrs#t=112
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline andy58-in-nh

Re: If you were born in the 40's, 50's. or 60's...you'll appreciate this!
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 02:34:22 pm »
All true. I was born in the '50s and grew up like everyone else in America in a world without ubiquitous, narcotizing electronic entertainment, scheduled playtime, or hovering "helicopter parents".

Our heroes were still heroic.

We learned to use our minds and our imaginations.

There were winners and losers in our games. We learned to be gracious in victory and how to get over defeat.

We were free to screw up, and we did sometimes, but we were also encouraged to learn from the consequences.

And supporting us always were the essential institutions of society, not yet devalued or destroyed: families, neighborhoods, communities, churches, synagogues, fraternal organizations, and charities.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 02:40:29 pm »
Channel surfing I stopped on ME TV and saw the show, "Julia." Julia needed to go on a job interview to be a nurse and left her small son, Corey alone in the apt. to watch TV. No one called child welfare on her.

How am I still alive drinking all of that water from hoses playing war in the neighborhood with under ground forts dropping smoke bombs (where'd we get them?) with washing machine lids as entrances?
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline andy58-in-nh

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 02:53:32 pm »
Channel surfing I stopped on ME TV and saw the show, "Julia." Julia needed to go on a job interview to be a nurse and left her small son, Corey alone in the apt. to watch TV. No one called child welfare on her.

How am I still alive drinking all of that water from hoses playing war in the neighborhood with under ground forts dropping smoke bombs (where'd we get them?) with washing machine lids as entrances?

Many of us (including me) brought our pocket knives to school, every day. When I was about 13, I pulled it one day on a bully who tried to shake me down for lunch money. He promptly kicked it out of my hand and took my money anyway. He gave me back my knife, though. There were rules, after all. You could take a kid's lunch money, but his knife belongs to him. I learned a couple of lessons that day: never draw a weapon unless you intend to use it, and next time, use your fists instead.

Translate the same events forty years into the future, and there would have been cops and councilors and breathless news reports and expulsions and locker searches and confiscations, teaching no one anything, but instilling fear and resignation into all. As would be the point.
"The most terrifying force of death, comes from the hands of Men who wanted to be left Alone. They try, so very hard, to mind their own business and provide for themselves and those they love. They resist every impulse to fight back, knowing the forced and permanent change of life that will come from it. They know, that the moment they fight back, their lives as they have lived them, are over. -Alexander Solzhenitsyn

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 03:07:24 pm »
As a brilliant man once said...."First, kill all the lawyers!"     :whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2014, 03:09:47 pm »
Snowed in this morning, so I have a fire going and watching old B&W Andy Griffith reruns.

Heaven.  ^-^

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 03:20:43 pm »
Snowed in this morning, so I have a fire going and watching old B&W Andy Griffith reruns.

Heaven.  ^-^

http://metvnetwork.com/wheretowatch/

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 03:44:27 pm »
I'm Currently watching on Antenna TV. 

This is fun being a total slug.  :laugh:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 03:49:47 pm »
I'm Currently watching on Antenna TV. 

This is fun being a total slug.  :laugh:

Hazel was a trip  :silly:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 03:53:16 pm »
She still is!  :beer:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 04:00:12 pm »

Online DCPatriot

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 04:06:59 pm »

I certainly do.

Oceander should create a bumper sticker that says, "I remember living and enjoying the world BEFORE the Internet!" 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 04:16:13 pm »

Every year, without fail. Not just school books, either. My own books got a protective sleeve too.  :laugh: Having a book was serious business!
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #14 on: March 19, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »

:thumbsup:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #15 on: March 19, 2014, 11:02:27 pm »
Every year, without fail. Not just school books, either. My own books got a protective sleeve too.  :laugh: Having a book was serious business!
Remember this, well. Just bought the book "Rush Revere and the Brave Pilgrims" for my grandsons (4 & 6). We'll start reading and discussing it this weekend.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #16 on: March 19, 2014, 11:04:39 pm »
As a brilliant man once said...."First, kill all the lawyers!"     :whistle:
  William Shakespeare, if my memory is correct.

Online mystery-ak

• Owner
  • Administrator
  • Let's Go Brandon!
« Reply #17 on: March 19, 2014, 11:06:42 pm »
I survived doing all the things and more in the video.....
Proud Supporter of Tunnel to Towers
Support the USO
Democrat Party...the Party of Infanticide

“Therefore do not worry about tomorrow, for tomorrow will worry about itself. Each day has enough trouble of its own.”
-Matthew 6:34

Offline Howie66

« Reply #18 on: March 19, 2014, 11:24:27 pm »
I got hit by a car on Christmas morning, 1957. Our home was on a small hill located on a lane across from a marsh. Sis and I got new sleds for Christmas and I wasn't waiting to try mine out. I was making my second run down the hill when a car came around the bend. There was so much snow on the ground and neither one of us could stop. Thank God, that he wasn't going fast at all and I was bundled up like Quinn The Eskimo. I got a couple of cuts and scrapes, he almost went into cardiac arrest and my sled was totaled! My Mom was in total hysterics until we got home from the doctor's office. Then she grounded me!

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2014, 11:37:07 pm »
I got hit by a car on Christmas morning, 1957. Our home was on a small hill located on a lane across from a marsh. Sis and I got new sleds for Christmas and I wasn't waiting to try mine out. I was making my second run down the hill when a car came around the bend. There was so much snow on the ground and neither one of us could stop. Thank God, that he wasn't going fast at all and I was bundled up like Quinn The Eskimo. I got a couple of cuts and scrapes, he almost went into cardiac arrest and my sled was totaled! My Mom was in total hysterics until we got home from the doctor's office. Then she grounded me!

We all used to go sledding on the hills at the local Country Club.  I had been out too long after getting wet and was in the hospital with a case of pneumonia, when they brought one of my sledding buddies, Paul Babinski,  in to the bed next to mine.  He took a dare to try and ride an 8 man wooden toboggan down the hill by himself, standing up on the sled.  Of course he had absolutely no steering ability, but that was not apparent until he was already at high speed and accelerating toward the treeline on the side of the hill.

He was in the hospital because a 2" wide by 1/2" thick sled slat broke when he hit the tree, and the jagged end of it entered his leg behind and just above his right knee and came out the top edge of his ass cheek.  It must have taken hundreds of stitches and staples to get it out and then close him back up.  The surgeon even sent him to recovery with the bloody slat wrapped in plastic for him to show off.  He didn't walk without assistance for quite some time, and I do not know if he gave up tobogganing either with or without assistance.....but he sure was proud of that toboggan slat.....

:beer:

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: March 19, 2014, 11:58:18 pm »

Fabulous!!  Thanks for posting.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2014, 12:04:56 am »
We all used to go sledding on the hills at the local Country Club.  I had been out too long after getting wet and was in the hospital with a case of pneumonia, when they brought one of my sledding buddies, Paul Babinski,  in to the bed next to mine.  He took a dare to try and ride an 8 man wooden toboggan down the hill by himself, standing up on the sled.  Of course he had absolutely no steering ability, but that was not apparent until he was already at high speed and accelerating toward the treeline on the side of the hill.

He was in the hospital because a 2" wide by 1/2" thick sled slat broke when he hit the tree, and the jagged end of it entered his leg behind and just above his right knee and came out the top edge of his ass cheek.  It must have taken hundreds of stitches and staples to get it out and then close him back up.  The surgeon even sent him to recovery with the bloody slat wrapped in plastic for him to show off.  He didn't walk without assistance for quite some time, and I do not know if he gave up tobogganing either with or without assistance.....but he sure was proud of that toboggan slat.....

:beer:

I'm betting that y'all were laughing your asses off about it, too!

"Double dog dare ya!"