Author Topic: Government computers running Windows XP will be vulnerable to hackers after April 8  (Read 1002 times)

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
The deadline for installing secure operating systems on federal government computers will pass next month with the job incomplete, leaving hundreds of thousands of machines running outdated software and unusually vulnerable to hackers.

Federal officials have known for more than six years that Microsoft will withdraw its free support for Windows XP on April 8, 2014. Despite a recent rush to complete upgrades, an estimated 10 percent of government computers — out of several million — will still be running the operating system on that date, company officials said.

excerpted

http://www.washingtonpost.com/business/technology/government-computers-running-windows-xp-will-be-vulnerable-to-hackers-after-april-8/2014/03/16/9a9c8c7c-a553-11e3-a5fa-55f0c77bf39c_story.html
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

Anyone doing anything in the medical field still running XP is non HIPPA compliant. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
XP was my favorite running system...not once was there a problem.  Never.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Rapunzel

I agree.. loved it, hated yo hive it up.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
I bought one of the last of the XP's on a laptop back in 2010. It still works great. Before that, my previous laptop (it was a Dell, the hardware was a piece of junk) dated to 2004. Considering everything, it was a very nice system.

Considering how bad the reviews for Windows 8 have been (and price concerns), I'm probably going with Linux for my next laptop. (I worked with Linux in college and I'm a big open-source kind of guy.)
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Oceander

I bought one of the last of the XP's on a laptop back in 2010. It still works great. Before that, my previous laptop (it was a Dell, the hardware was a piece of junk) dated to 2004. Considering everything, it was a very nice system.

Considering how bad the reviews for Windows 8 have been (and price concerns), I'm probably going with Linux for my next laptop. (I worked with Linux in college and I'm a big open-source kind of guy.)

If you're comfy with a *nix flavor then that's probably a good way to go.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

When Windows 8 came out I saw the reviews, talked to some people, and immediately went out and bought another two Windows 7 laptops. Both of them are still in their boxes, been booted exactly once to make sure they worked. I should be set, barring accidents, until Windows 9 comes out. Microsoft has a long pattern of releasing a steaming pile OS, then a brilliant OS, so 9 should be stable, reliable and workable.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Oceander

just apropos of the original topic:  i have no doubt that the government - I mean us taxpayers - will pay MS enough to have them maintain support for their remaining XP boxes.  enterprise level is always given better treatment than retail level (i.e., all of us), mostly because it pays for that support.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2014, 01:04:38 am by Oceander »