Author Topic: SWAT team raids organic farm (for 10 hours), confiscates blueberries  (Read 3140 times)

rangerrebew

SWAT Team Raids Organic Farm, Confiscates Blueberries

organic-farm-police-raid

A small organic farm in Arlington, Texas, was the target of a massive police action last week that included aerial surveillance, a SWAT raid and a 10-hour search. Members of the local police raiding party had a search warrant for marijuana plants, which they failed to find at the Garden of Eden farm.

But farm owners and residents who live on the property told a Dallas-Ft. Worth NBC station that the real reason for the law enforcement exercise appears to have been code enforcement. The police seized “17 blackberry bushes, 15 okra plants, 14 tomatillo plants … native grasses and sunflowers,” after holding residents inside at GUNpoint for at least a half-hour, property owner Shellie Smith said in a statement. The raid lasted about 10 hours, she said.

Local authorities had cited the Garden of Eden in recent weeks for code violations, including “grass that was too tall, bushes growing too close to the street, a couch and piano in the yard, chopped wood that was not properly stacked, a piece of siding that was missing from the side of the house, and generally unclean premises,” Smith’s statement said. She said the police didn’t produce a warrant until two hours after the raid began, and officers shielded their name tags so they couldn’t be identified.According to ABC affiliate WFAA, resident Quinn Eaker was the only person arrested — for outstanding traffic violations. The city of Arlington said in a statement that the code citations were issued to the farm following complaints by neighbors, who were “concerned that the conditions” at the farm “interfere with the useful enjoyment of their properties and are detrimental to property values and community appearance.”

The police SWAT raid came after “the Arlington Police Department received a number of complaints that the same property owner was cultivating marijuana plants on the premises,” the city’s statement said. “No cultivated marijuana plants were located on the premises,” the statement acknowledged. The raid on the Garden of Eden farm appears to be the latest example of police departments using SWAT teams and paramilitary tactics to enforce less serious crimes. A Fox television affiliate reported this week, for example, that police in St. Louis County, Mo., brought out the SWAT team to serve an administrative warrant. The report went on to explain that all felony warrants are served with a SWAT team, regardless whether the crime being alleged involves violence. In recent years, SWAT teams have been called out to perform regulatory alcohol inspections at a bar in Manassas Park, Va.; to raid bars for suspected underage drinking in New Haven, Conn.; to perform license inspections at barbershops in Orlando, Fla.; and to raid a gay bar in Atlanta where police suspected customers and employees were having public sex. A federal investigation later found that Atlanta police had made up the allegations of public sex. Other raids have been conducted on food co-ops and Amish farms suspected of selling unpasteurized milk products. The federal government has for years been conducting raids on medical marijuana dispensaries in states that have legalized them, even though the businesses operate openly and are unlikely to pose any threat to the safety of federal enforcers.

Thanks to –> http://www.antigmofoods.com/2013/08/texas-police-hit-organic-farm-with.html
 Continue Reading: http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2013/08/15/texas-swat-team-conducts-_n_3764951.html

Offline aligncare

Re: SWAT team raids organic farm (for 10 hours), confiscates blueberries
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 11:37:25 am »
It's your country, folks. Bureaucrats chipping away at our freedoms. Code violations, growing pot? Uh-oh, send in the Marines.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 11:58:15 am »
Now you know why your local Sheriff needs a Mine Resistant Vehicle.....

:smokin:

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 01:12:15 pm »
Got a neighbor with a messy yard?  A junky car?  Doesn't cut their grass often enough to suit you?  A dog that barks at you?  Just call the police and say you have seen marijuana plants growing on their property.  Problem solved. 

I can't believe we are letting this happen. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 01:19:57 pm »
Are you ready to see how bad this place was for code violations? Here you go:
http://www.intothegardenofeden.com/

Oh wait, it isn't that bad after all. They are open to the public, have classes, and even have a coffee shop on premises. Yea, they are a bunch of dirty hippies but they don't seem to be doing a thing illegal. They just want to be left alone.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline ABX

« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 01:57:11 pm »
I really don't buy the 'Monsanto Inspired' line. They wouldn't care about a little farm like that and a dirty little secret, they also make lines of organic lines too so these hippies are their customers.

It is more like some over zealous code enforcement officer who didn't like that these folks were challenging (rightly so) the legality of some of the requests.

Offline Relic

« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:56 pm »
This is the part I get to enjoy. I get to watch inattentive, stupid Americans get exactly what they want. It's awesome.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #8 on: March 17, 2014, 02:03:39 pm »
I really don't buy the 'Monsanto Inspired' line. They wouldn't care about a little farm like that and a dirty little secret, they also make lines of organic lines too so these hippies are their customers.

It is more like some over zealous code enforcement officer who didn't like that these folks were challenging (rightly so) the legality of some of the requests.

The 64,000 dollar question remains... did they take their outdoor piano?  :pondering: :shrug:

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #10 on: March 17, 2014, 02:08:34 pm »
Yea, they are a bunch of dirty hippies but they don't seem to be doing a thing illegal. They just want to be left alone.

Intolerable to our lords and masters.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #11 on: March 17, 2014, 02:16:47 pm »
Cut your damned lawn....and take the piano and other junk to the dump.

It doesn't belong in your front yard....property 'rights' be damned.

Anything or any action that you take that adversely affects the value of your neighbors should bring consequences.

If they'd stop living like dirty hippies in a commune, nobody would have bothered them.

....this from somebody who sold real estate for over 35 years.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:31 pm »
I wonder if they were also cited for not wearing shirts or nightgowns to bed? Will the authorities return their food they took?

Offline mountaineer

« Reply #13 on: March 17, 2014, 02:17:38 pm »
Got a neighbor with a messy yard?  A junky car?  Doesn't cut their grass often enough to suit you?  A dog that barks at you?  Just call the police and say you have seen marijuana plants growing on their property.  Problem solved. 

I can't believe we are letting this happen.
Some friends have a fairly large farm nearby and the husband has told me that trespassers have planted mj on his property. He just plows it up when he finds it, he said, but it sure would be easy for anyone to call the cops and say it was his.  **nononono*
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #14 on: March 17, 2014, 02:30:07 pm »

Anything or any action that you take that adversely affects the value of your neighbors should bring consequences.

If they'd stop living like dirty hippies in a commune, nobody would have bothered them.

Oh Lord, I am only on my second cup of coffee.  ^-^ Their property seems very rural, down a long dirt road. I don't think they are members of a HOA or near the yacht club.  Even Sanford and Son Hippies have rights and you know it.  :nono: **nononono*

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #15 on: March 17, 2014, 02:31:59 pm »

Wouldn't a citation with a fine be more "American"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #16 on: March 17, 2014, 02:33:39 pm »
Never knew Eastwood was a real estate agent. :silly:

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #17 on: March 17, 2014, 02:38:52 pm »
One of the advantages of a terrible economy. You want to get rid of something here, put it out front of the house. The scrap guys will take it within 30 minutes.

Offline ABX

« Reply #18 on: March 17, 2014, 02:39:16 pm »

Your 'property rights be damned' comment is pretty disturbing coming from a Conservative community, but to put this in perspective.

1. This isn't a farm in a private, HOA community where they would have signed an agreement for specific property maintenance. This is a farm, on many acres in what was, until recently*, the middle of nowhere.

2. Based on how long they've been around, they may have even owned the farm prior to Kennedale incorporating that area.

3. I doubt the neighbors complained. They are across the street from an auto-junkyard and scrap metal yard and most of the neighbors have run-down trailers. http://goo.gl/maps/aI0dG 

4. *According to a comment on a news article, this may actually have something to do with the Terra Verde golf course & country club wanting to expand into that area for housing developments. They are about a mile east of all of this.  They are trying to buy up/push out a lot of small farms and businesses in that area. http://constructiondatacompany.com/construction-projects/28199/tierra-verde-golf-club-house-expansion-pavilions-arlington-tx/
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 02:40:50 pm by AbaraXas »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #19 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:46 pm »
One of the advantages of a terrible economy. You want to get rid of something here, put it out front of the house. The scrap guys will take it within 30 minutes.

It's called a curb alert on CraigsList (or Greg's list if you ask Uncle Si) Tube TV's on Craigslist are FREE or $20.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #20 on: March 17, 2014, 02:45:05 pm »
It's called a curb alert on CraigsList (or Greg's list if you ask Uncle Si) Tube TV's on Craigslist are FREE or $20.

Don't even need to advertize here. There is an entire industry built around picking up scrap. Last time I needed them, I had to shout at them about grabbing the old boiler too fast - half of it was still in the house!

Offline ABX

« Reply #21 on: March 17, 2014, 02:45:06 pm »
Oh Lord, I am only on my second cup of coffee.  ^-^ Their property seems very rural, down a long dirt road. I don't think they are members of a HOA or near the yacht club.  Even Sanford and Son Hippies have rights and you know it.  :nono: **nononono*

It is very rural and across the street from a auto junkyard and scrapyard.
http://goo.gl/maps/aI0dG

However, see previous post. A golf course east of them have filed permits to expand. I think there is some cronyism going on in this case.

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:09 pm »
A little unknown secret about the economy EC, A large dept. store like Sear's throws away enough scrap from AC's, fridge parts... that the dumpster man could make a literal nice living off of the scrap. They just changed the rules at the scrap yard though. You have to show a HVAC license and give your thumb print to curb people gutting neighborhoods of AC's ,copper...

Offline ABX

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 02:47:14 pm »

I'll also add, very few rural Texas farms are manicured and landscaped. The Google Street View looked like any rural farm you would see around here. There was obviously some construction going on when the image was taken, but what it showed was simply big piles of dirt, mulch, and farming going on.

Offline alicewonders

« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:58 pm »
Your 'property rights be damned' comment is pretty disturbing coming from a Conservative community, but to put this in perspective.

1. This isn't a farm in a private, HOA community where they would have signed an agreement for specific property maintenance. This is a farm, on many acres in what was, until recently*, the middle of nowhere.

2. Based on how long they've been around, they may have even owned the farm prior to Kennedale incorporating that area.

3. I doubt the neighbors complained. They are across the street from an auto-junkyard and scrap metal yard and most of the neighbors have run-down trailers. http://goo.gl/maps/aI0dG 

4. *According to a comment on a news article, this may actually have something to do with the Terra Verde golf course & country club wanting to expand into that area for housing developments. They are about a mile east of all of this.  They are trying to buy up/push out a lot of small farms and businesses in that area. http://constructiondatacompany.com/construction-projects/28199/tierra-verde-golf-club-house-expansion-pavilions-arlington-tx/

Ah yes, that would explain it all right.  ALWAYS follow the money trail!