Author Topic: Bizarro Common Core kindergarten math homework stumps DAD WITH Ph.D.  (Read 8170 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://dailycaller.com/2014/03/16/bizarro-common-core-kindergarten-math-homework-stumps-dad-with-ph-d/

Bizarro Common Core kindergarten math homework stumps DAD WITH Ph.D.

Posted By Eric Owens On 2:49 PM 03/16/2014

Here is the latest in the never-ending litany of frighteningly stupid Common Core math worksheets. This one comes from the father of a kindergarten student in the Research Triangle area of North Carolina.

“I have a Ph.D., and I have no idea what is supposed to be done with this homework assignment,” the flummoxed father told The Daily Caller.

He sent the bizarre worksheet to TheDC on the condition of anonymity because he didn’t want to risk having his child be the subject of any reprisals from school employees.

“I can tell you that my five-year-old brought this home as kindergarten homework Thursday,” he said. “It was a single page worksheet, with the ‘Dear Parent’ section stapled to the top.”

The doctoral dad added that he did research some of the terms on the worksheet “enough to know that ‘K.OA.1′ is Common Core language.” (TheDC’s cursory Google search of the term ‘K.OA.1′ brought up “Kindergarten Common Core Math” with the second hit.)

The baffled parent also noted that the “subtraction stories” worksheet is copyrighted by Houghton Mifflin.

“I did consider that this was some sort of mistake—that is, the wrong instructions were attached to the worksheet,” the kindergarten father told TheDC. “But, notice, the headers seem to match.”

The Ph.D.-holding dad also spied the apparently misspelled word “transprancy” [sic] just above the picture.

“I have no idea what ‘transprancy’ means,” he observed. “It is disturbing to think about how much thought goes into the curriculum. And by that, I don’t mean how little thought, but just that: How much.”

This math lesson – such as it may be – is just one more in the constantly burgeoning inventory of sad and hideous Common Core math problems.

Just this month, for example, Twitchy exposed a stupid, overly complicated set of Common Core math problems involving “number bonds”—and so much more. Those problems were also being inflicted on kindergarteners. (RELATED: Here’s PROOF that Common Core aims to make America’s children cry)

Also in March, a frustrated dad posted his kid’s absurd Common Core-aligned math homework on Instagram. (RELATED: ‘Why are they making math harder?’ More absurd Common Core math problems)

In February, a group of Common Core-aligned math — math — lessons oozed out of the woodwork which require teachers to ask students if the 2000 presidential election was fair and which refer to Lincoln’s religion as either “liberal” or nothing. (RELATED: Common Core MATH lesson plans attack Reagan, list Lincoln’s religion as ‘liberal’)

In January, The Daily Caller also brought you a surreal, subtly cruel Common Core math worksheet. (RELATED: This Common Core math worksheet offers a glimpse into Kafkaesque third-grade hell)

January also brought a set of incomprehensible directions for nine-year-olds. (RELATED: Here’s another impossibly stupid Common Core math worksheet)

In December, Twitchy found the most egregiously awful math problem the Common Core had produced yet until that point. (RELATED: Is this Common Core math question the worst math question in human history?)

In November, Twitchy collected several more incomprehensible, unintentionally hilarious Core-aligned worksheets and tests. (RELATED: EPIC FAIL: Parents reveal insane Common Core worksheets)

Over the summer, The Daily Caller exposed a video showing a curriculum coordinator in suburban Chicago perkily explained that Common Core allows students to be totally right if they say 3 x 4 = 11 as long as they spout something about the necessarily faulty reasoning they used to get to that wrong answer. (RELATED: Obama math: under new Common Core, 3 x 4 = 11 [VIDEO])
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline happyg

Re: Bizarro Common Core kindergarten math homework stumps DAD WITH Ph.D.
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2014, 05:56:23 pm »
Weird! It appears to me they are trying to get the kids to think, but thinking without knowledge is useless.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2014, 06:36:21 pm »
Weird! It appears to me they are trying to get the kids to think, but thinking without knowledge is useless.

It's what Nancy Pelosi does every day. Come to think of it, it's what most of government does everyday. So, it seems to me common core is just preparing kids for government jobs.

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2014, 07:37:38 pm »
Indeed. Basic facts should be the first foundation of learning and should be the primary focus of a child that age. This kind of question requires a level of higher-level thinking that should not be required of someone below about third or fourth grade. Elementary school is called "elementary" for a reason: it is supposed to teach the elements of learning. Leave the higher level stuff to middle and high school.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2014, 08:05:22 pm »
Indeed. Basic facts should be the first foundation of learning and should be the primary focus of a child that age. This kind of question requires a level of higher-level thinking that should not be required of someone below about third or fourth grade. Elementary school is called "elementary" for a reason: it is supposed to teach the elements of learning. Leave the higher level stuff to middle and high school.

goopo  sadly Common Core wasn't created by educators trained to understand what you posted here.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Oceander

« Reply #5 on: March 18, 2014, 01:01:47 am »
Give me a break.  What is this dweeb's PhD in, art history?  feminist lesbian critical studies?

First question:  the note from the teacher expressly says "your child practiced telling subtraction stories."  Did super-wiz PhD Dad bother to ask his five year old what the child did in class that day, in particular, about telling subtraction stories?

Second question:  do people not know what a "subtraction story" is?  Try Google.  In the meantime, here's a good summary:  it's a word problem, like this:

Anna had 15 stickers.  She gave 4 stickers to her best friend Jane.  How many stickers does Anna have left?

Is that really so difficult that a PhD cannot figure it out?

Third question:  given the above, can anyone figure out what the point of that worksheet is?  Anyone?  Calling Ferris Bueller.  Try this:  it's about having the kid come up with three subtraction word problems using things in that picture.

Why the picture?  Because (a) it gives the kids something visual and concrete to use in trying to work through what is an otherwise abstract concept - subtraction, and (b) it limits the universe of possible word problems the kids can come up with, which makes the teacher's job a little easier and more efficient when he (or she) checks the homework.

Why have the kids come up with subtraction stories on their own?  Because it's a really good way to help develop their comprehension and understanding of subtraction and word problems in general.  First of all, they actually do have to do the subtraction themselves in order to get a correct substraction story.  Second, by having them put together a word problem using the subtraction problem they just figured out, it develops their understanding of what's really going on in a word problem; that's helpful for a lot of things besides subtraction and the fact of the matter is that young children can easily get confused about what they're supposed to do with a word problem.  Sometimes the best way to understand something is to take it apart and put it back together again.

Fourth question:  what is it with Common Core conspiracy theorists and copyright?  Let's try this:
EVERYTHING
EVER
WRITTEN
IS
COPYRIGHTED.
EVERYTHING.

(which reminds me, Myst and R4P&C should probably put something in the Terms of Service about posters giving their copyrights, if any, to the forum for anything they post, or at least granting the forum a perpetual, nonexclusive, assignable license to use the posters' materials)

Copyright arises automatically as soon as something is written - the author doesn't have to do anything other than writing.  Putting the (c) symbol makes the existence of copyright clear to anyone who reads the piece; that can be important for material that readers might assume is in the public domain.

Fifth question:  "transprancy" is some subtle hint of deep, dark Common Core secrets?  Seriously?  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but homework worksheets sometimes come with mistakes like mispelled words.  I used to amuse myself by "grading" the worksheets my daughter brought home when she was in 3d grade, complete with red pen.

Seriously people, there are enough other issues with Common Core - real issues that should addressed - that there is no need to fabricate issues where none exist.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:17:49 am by Oceander »

Offline happyg

« Reply #6 on: March 18, 2014, 01:05:52 am »
Fourth question:  what is it with Common Core conspiracy theorists and copyright?  Let's try this:

EVERYTHING

This is kindergarten, 4 and 5 year olds. They don't do critical thinking at that age. You teach kids the basics first, and then, move on in steps. This is almost like working from the top down, rather than the bottom up.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2014, 01:17:23 am »
This is kindergarten, 4 and 5 year olds. They don't do critical thinking at that age. You teach kids the basics first, and then, move on in steps. This is almost like working from the top down, rather than the bottom up.

This isn't a critical thinking question. This is a basic concept reinforcement. Understanding what is addition or subtraction by saying a story about it. At that age, you can't drill into them "Subtraction is the difference between two values....." What you can do is say, 'Subtraction is like when you have four apples and you give Sally two'. Analogies work great with very, very young children. (look at how we teach pre-school the alphabet- by showing an animal or object with each letter).

There are a lot of problems with Common Core (elimination of parental & local control, horrible history lessons, etc) but some of these so called 'bad math' problems are just silly. I've seen some bad ones, but I've seen some logical ones like this.

The first thing that struck me about this was the PhD didn't know what 'transparancy(sic)' meant? (yes, spelled wrong) I guess he hasn't been in a classroom in fifty years. He forgot about these?

Oceander

« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2014, 01:19:10 am »

I second Abaraxas' reply.

Offline happyg

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2014, 01:31:26 am »
There are a lot simpler ways to teach kids the same concept. I've been around many kids who knew the basics before starting school. Then, after starting school, they end up not doing very well. At that age, they learn as much from Sesame Street and other children's educational shows as they do schools, probably more.

Oceander

« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2014, 01:33:02 am »
There are a lot simpler ways to teach kids the same concept. I've been around many kids who knew the basics before starting school. Then, after starting school, they end up not doing very well. At that age, they learn as much from Sesame Street and other children's educational shows as they do schools, probably more.

With all due respect, you're looking at one of the simpler ways to teach kids the very difficult concept (at that age) of subtraction and also of abstracting the operation so they can apply it to new situations they haven't seen before.

Offline ABX

• Words full of sound and fury, signifying nothing.
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2014, 01:36:16 am »

This seems almost exactly how Sesame Street does it. Replace kids in a park with Cookie Monster and there you go.

« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:37:58 am by AbaraXas »

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: March 18, 2014, 01:41:59 am »
This seems almost exactly how Sesame Street does it. Replace kids in a park with Cookie Monster and there you go.

There is a huge difference. The cookies is one problem. The paper at the top of the page is a bunch of random things. Teach the kids one thing at a time. It's not just about math, but these young children have to learn other subjects, too.

Oceander

« Reply #13 on: March 18, 2014, 01:47:22 am »
There is a huge difference. The cookies is one problem. The paper at the top of the page is a bunch of random things. Teach the kids one thing at a time. It's not just about math, but these young children have to learn other subjects, too.

With all due respect, you really are missing the entire point.  I don't know if you have kids, or how old they are, but my daughter is 9, in 4th grade, and I've been working with stuff like this for the last 5 years (starting with pre-K), and I can tell you that having assignments like this as part of a larger program to teach kids math helps them get the concept, and it's getting the concept that matters.  I did things almost exactly like this with my daughter when she was first learning math.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #14 on: March 18, 2014, 01:49:26 am »
Give me a break.  What is this dweeb's PhD in, art history?  feminist lesbian critical studies?

First question:  the note from the teacher expressly says "your child practiced telling subtraction stories."  Did super-wiz PhD Dad bother to ask his five year old what the child did in class that day, in particular, about telling subtraction stories?

Second question:  do people not know what a "subtraction story" is?  Try Google.  In the meantime, here's a good summary:  it's a word problem, like this:

Third question:  given the above, can anyone figure out what the point of that worksheet is?  Anyone?  Calling Ferris Bueller.  Try this:  it's about having the kid come up with three subtraction word problems using things in that picture.

Why the picture?  Because (a) it gives the kids something visual and concrete to use in trying to work through what is an otherwise abstract concept - subtraction, and (b) it limits the universe of possible word problems the kids can come up with, which makes the teacher's job a little easier and more efficient when he (or she) checks the homework.

Why have the kids come up with subtraction stories on their own?  Because it's a really good way to help develop their comprehension and understanding of subtraction and word problems in general.  First of all, they actually do have to do the subtraction themselves in order to get a correct substraction story.  Second, by having them put together a word problem using the subtraction problem they just figured out, it develops their understanding of what's really going on in a word problem; that's helpful for a lot of things besides subtraction and the fact of the matter is that young children can easily get confused about what they're supposed to do with a word problem.  Sometimes the best way to understand something is to take it apart and put it back together again.

EVERYTHING
EVER
WRITTEN
IS
COPYRIGHTED.
EVERYTHING.

(which reminds me, Myst and R4P&C should probably put something in the Terms of Service about posters giving their copyrights, if any, to the forum for anything they post, or at least granting the forum a perpetual, nonexclusive, assignable license to use the posters' materials)

Copyright arises automatically as soon as something is written - the author doesn't have to do anything other than writing.  Putting the (c) symbol makes the existence of copyright clear to anyone who reads the piece; that can be important for material that readers might assume is in the public domain.

Fifth question:  "transprancy" is some subtle hint of deep, dark Common Core secrets?  Seriously?  I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but homework worksheets sometimes come with mistakes like mispelled words.  I used to amuse myself by "grading" the worksheets my daughter brought home when she was in 3d grade, complete with red pen.

Seriously people, there are enough other issues with Common Core - real issues that should addressed - that there is no need to fabricate issues where none exist.

LOL!!  I had the same reaction.  It was pretty clear to me what the assignment was (and what the subtraction stories are supposed to be), and I'm not an educator.  (I did have a kid go through school a number of years ago, and did help with homework from time to time.)  It just seems that a little common sense was all that was required here.  (c)

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #15 on: March 18, 2014, 01:50:34 am »
This isn't a critical thinking question. This is a basic concept reinforcement. Understanding what is addition or subtraction by saying a story about it. At that age, you can't drill into them "Subtraction is the difference between two values....." What you can do is say, 'Subtraction is like when you have four apples and you give Sally two'. Analogies work great with very, very young children. (look at how we teach pre-school the alphabet- by showing an animal or object with each letter).

There are a lot of problems with Common Core (elimination of parental & local control, horrible history lessons, etc) but some of these so called 'bad math' problems are just silly. I've seen some bad ones, but I've seen some logical ones like this.

The first thing that struck me about this was the PhD didn't know what 'transparancy(sic)' meant? (yes, spelled wrong) I guess he hasn't been in a classroom in fifty years. He forgot about these?

Yes.

Offline happyg

« Reply #16 on: March 18, 2014, 01:51:11 am »
With all due respect, I have three sons, and fifteen grandkids (three great grandkids), so I have been around the block with education. I am not missing the point.

Oceander

« Reply #17 on: March 18, 2014, 01:56:27 am »
With all due respect, I have three sons, and fifteen grandkids (three great grandkids), so I have been around the block with education. I am not missing the point.

I'm afraid that you are.  How old is the youngest of your grandkids?  When was the last time you actually sat down with a kindergartener and helped him/her with math homework?  This is an extremely useful tool in the math teaching toolbox.  The point you're missing is that you're assuming that this is the only thing Common Core uses to teach math.  It isn't, and it's extremely disingenuous of articles like this to make people think that's what Common Core is about.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 01:56:59 am by Oceander »

Offline happyg

« Reply #18 on: March 18, 2014, 01:58:51 am »
That is just your opinion. I happen to disagree. Here is another math problem, that can be figured out, but is a waste of time.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #19 on: March 18, 2014, 02:00:56 am »
I wonder how those of us who were not educated via Common Core ever managed to read, write or get a successful job........... sarc

Offline happyg

« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:25 am »
I wonder how those of us who were not educated via Common Core ever managed to read, write or get a successful job........... sarc

I never went to kindergarten because there weren't any in my home town. By the time I started first grade, Mom had 6 or 7 kids, and didn't have time to teach us. Captain Kangaroo wasn't even on tv then, either, so evidently I learned on my own and from my siblings, and from teachers actually teaching. They kept it simple, as it should be.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #21 on: March 18, 2014, 02:12:50 am »

EVERYTHING
EVER
WRITTEN
IS
COPYRIGHTED.
EVERYTHING.

I'm with you.  I dropped out of college but I figured out the assignment by looking at the page.

Offline happyg

« Reply #22 on: March 18, 2014, 02:15:07 am »
I'm with you.  I dropped out of college but I figured out the assignment by looking at the page.

I figured it out, too, but I am not five years old.

Offline LambChop

« Reply #23 on: March 18, 2014, 02:20:07 am »
I figured it out, too, but I am not five years old.

So one could say we're smarter than the Ph.D. dad.

Offline happyg

« Reply #24 on: March 18, 2014, 02:25:33 am »
Tests Reveal What’s Rotten About Common Core
“State officials decided that New York test scores should be aligned with the achievement levels of the federally administered National Assessment of Educational Progress (NAEP).” This is “a completely inappropriate model,” according to Ravitch, because “‘proficient’ on NAEP is what most people would consider to be the equivalent of an A,” and “any state that expects all or most students to achieve an A on the state tests is setting most students up for failure.”

In fact, many public officials, including U.S. Secretary of Education Arne Duncan, expected large numbers of students to fail. And now, many of those same officials are trying to convince New Yorkers, and the rest of us, that purposefully failing students is a good thing.

Rejoicing In Failure

In light of the high failure rates, business leaders in the state of New York immediately expressed their confidence in the way things are going. In a letter, they intoned, “As business executives, we understand how challenging it can be for organizations to operate in a changing environment.” But “moving forward” is “crucial.”

The high rate of failure is “good news,” trumpeted former New York City School Chancellor Joel Klein in an op-ed in the New York Post.

Full article at: http://ourfuture.org/20130813/failing-to-the-top-tests-reveal-whats-rotten-about-common-core