Author Topic: Things Get VERY Heated When Two Vets Confront Man Wearing Military Clothing  (Read 4539 times)

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Hit me up nearer the time. I know all sorts of odd corners no one has ever heard of! Love this place, despite the weather and the temperament of my fellow English.

Will do! I am a junkie for history and what better place to explore our roots? My only concern will be driving on the wrong side of the road while being stone cold sober.  :whistle:

Let me extend a similar invite if you ever think to visit TEXAS.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 05:40:30 pm by Howie66 »
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline aligncare

Now that you mentioned it, Howie66, there's only one destination I have ever desired visiting outside the US -- and it's not my birthplace, Sicilly.

It's England!

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

Offline Howie66

Now that you mentioned it, Howie66, there's only one destination I have ever desired visiting outside the US -- and it's not my birthplace, Sicilly.

It's England!

This royal throne of kings, this scepter'd isle,
This earth of majesty, this seat of Mars,
This other Eden, demi-paradise,
This fortress built by Nature for herself
Against infection and the hand of war,
This happy breed of men, this little world,
This precious stone set in the silver sea,
Which serves it in the office of a wall
Or as a moat defensive to a house
Against the envy of less happier lands,
This blessed plot, this earth, this realm, this England

"Americans and British are one people separated only by a common language."
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
Will do! I am a junkie for history and what better place to explore our roots? My only concern will be driving on the wrong side of the road while being stone cold sober.  :whistle:

Let me extend a similar invite if you ever think to visit TEXAS.

LOL! I had to fly into London once and had my secretary reserve a rental car for me. I picked up the car without difficulty and all went well until I left the rental car lot and actually entered the traffic stream! Spent the next hour trying to get back to that rental car lot with myself and the vehicle still in one piece which thankfully I managed to do! I'll be taking taxis from now on thank you!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Howie66

LOL! I had to fly into London once and had my secretary reserve a rental car for me. I picked up the car without difficulty and all went well until I left the rental car lot and actually entered the traffic stream! Spent the next hour trying to get back to that rental car lot with myself and the vehicle still in one piece which thankfully I managed to do! I'll be taking taxis from now on thank you!

Gee....thanks for the encouraging words...  :banging:

When we get there, we're not planning on staying in London the entire time. We're going be be heading off into the countryside...away from all the "touristy" stuff. So...I'm going to have to adapt to the British mode of driving.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

When we get there, we're not planning on staying in London the entire time. We're going be be heading off into the countryside...away from all the "touristy" stuff. So...I'm going to have to adapt to the British mode of driving.

It's really simple, driving here. Stop at red lights. Go like hell on amber, and remember to downshift to take the corner fast. On roundabouts, you give way to the right and drive into anyone on the left. Keep 2 car lengths between you and the person in front to allow the clueless idiot on the inside lane to merge in. When in doubt, floor it. Much like Italy, lanes are more suggestions than anything else.

Have your insurance/rental company on speed dial.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
It's really simple, driving here. Stop at red lights. Go like hell on amber, and remember to downshift to take the corner fast. On roundabouts, you give way to the right and drive into anyone on the left. Keep 2 car lengths between you and the person in front to allow the clueless idiot on the inside lane to merge in. When in doubt, floor it. Much like Italy, lanes are more suggestions than anything else.

That SOUNDS really easy but believe me it isn't! Everything, and I do mean everything, is ass backwards to what we are used to!  I'd rather be in a fox hole during a mortar attack!
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 09:24:31 pm by Bigun »
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
I did forget two important things.

Slow right down if there is a horse in front of you.

Cyclists are in season from September to May. You get bonus points for dinging one in January.

It doesn't take long to get used to it though, on a serious note. Just remember driver is on the divider and you are good to go.

Offline Howie66

I have driven around Europe (In-laws live in Netherlands) enough to be pretty adept with roundabouts, so I feel like I almost have a clue. Also, pretty familiar with the bicycles and their "quirkiness" as well as narrow paths that are listed as "highways".

I have to agree with Bigun about that "ass-backwards" factor, though. That may take some getting used to.

Offline Howie66

I did forget two important things.

Slow right down if there is a horse in front of you.

Cyclists are in season from September to May. You get bonus points for dinging one in January.

It doesn't take long to get used to it though, on a serious note. Just remember driver is on the divider and you are good to go.

Thanks, my friend! Appreciate the sage advice.

Right now in Houston, we have Rodeo. A couple of weeks ago the trail riders came into town on horse-back and in wagon trains from all over the state. That is always impressive but plays havoc with traffic patterns.

Offline Howie66

That SOUNDS really easy but believe me it isn't! Everything, and I do mean everything, is ass backwards to what we are used to!  I'd rather be in a fox hole during a mortar attack!

INCOMING!!

Offline Howie66

Need to figure out posting video besides link.... Enjoy!

Top Gear:

http://youtu.be/Q5ZuvmyQ_p4

Offline happyg

Need to figure out posting video besides link.... Enjoy!

Top Gear:

http://youtu.be/Q5ZuvmyQ_p4

Just R click video and click url and put it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q5ZuvmyQ_p4

Offline 240B

• Lord of all things Orange!
  • TBR Advisory Committee
    • I try my best ...

Just remember to sit on the stripe. As long as you as the driver are next to the stripe, you are on the right side of the road.

Lived there for two years in Yorkshire. Was very happy to leave. It is fun to visit but hard to live there.

Don't forget to take the ferry over the Ireland and the drive through Wales if you have time. There really isn't much in Scotland, Endinburgh castle has a nice show. Have fun.
You cannot "COEXIST" with people who want to kill you.
If they kill their own with no conscience, there is nothing to stop them from killing you.
Rational fear and anger at vicious murderous Islamic terrorists is the same as irrational antisemitism, according to the Leftists.

Offline Howie66

Just R click video and click url and put it here. http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=Q5ZuvmyQ_p4
Hmmm...tried that....no luck. I must be missing something.

Offline Howie66

Just remember to sit on the stripe. As long as you as the driver are next to the stripe, you are on the right side of the road.

Lived there for two years in Yorkshire. Was very happy to leave. It is fun to visit but hard to live there.

Don't forget to take the ferry over the Ireland and the drive through Wales if you have time. There really isn't much in Scotland, Endinburgh castle has a nice show. Have fun.

Thanks for the heads up. Will do all that I can to not be seen as an Obana supporter! LOL  :patriot:

Oceander

Downshifting?  You're seriously dating yourself my friend.  Even 20 years ago downshifting was going out of style in the US.  Back in college I taught myself to drive manual the hard way - I bought a 1975 super beetle and then tried to figure out how to drive it home (great little car btw).  I quickly learned the virtues - and thrills - of downshifting:  I used to play a game when I drove to work (about 3 miles and probably 10 traffic lights), trying to see if I could make the entire trip without once touching the brake pedal until I parked in the lot at work.  Later on, when I was test-driving a new '96 VW Jetta I downshifted as a matter of course as we approached a traffic light, and the salesman said "I haven't seen anyone downshift since I was a kid."
« Last Edit: March 19, 2014, 02:18:10 am by Oceander »

Offline Howie66

Downshifting?  You're seriously dating yourself my friend.  Even 20 years ago downshifting was going out of style in the US.  Back in college I taught myself to drive manual the hard way - I bought a 1975 super beetle and then tried to figure out how to drive it home (great little car btw).  I quickly learned the virtues - and thrills - of downshifting:  I used to play a game when I drove to work (about 3 miles and probably 10 traffic lights), trying to see if I could make the entire trip without once touching the brake pedal until I parked in the lot at work.  Later on, when I was test-driving a new '96 VW Jetta I downshifted as a matter of course as we approached a traffic light, and the salesman said "I haven't seen anyone downshift since I was a kid."

:silly: :silly: :silly:

I didn't drive a car or truck that had an automatic transmission until I was in my mid twenties! When we travel in Europe, I never rent a car that isn't a manual transmission. It wouldn't be any fun at all, otherwise!

Oceander

:silly: :silly: :silly:

I didn't drive a car or truck that had an automatic transmission until I was in my mid twenties! When we travel in Europe, I never rent a car that isn't a manual transmission. It wouldn't be any fun at all, otherwise!

i have an automatic right now because my wife refuses to even consider learning how to drive one (and, quite frankly, i wouldn't want her to either).  i can't wait until i can afford a second car, it'll be manual all the way, even if i have to buy another 70s vw beetle.

Offline Howie66

i have an automatic right now because my wife refuses to even consider learning how to drive one (and, quite frankly, i wouldn't want her to either).  i can't wait until i can afford a second car, it'll be manual all the way, even if i have to buy another 70s vw beetle.

Sounds like a great plan! I was able to teach my wife how to drive a 4 speed in about 20 minutes. It's not that hard.

Oceander

Sounds like a great plan! I was able to teach my wife how to drive a 4 speed in about 20 minutes. It's not that hard.

you don't know my wife!  (if she sees this, i'm in big trouble!!)

Offline happyg

I learned how to drive in a Malibu 4 speed. I used it to get my license.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
Heck - I didn't have an automatic until 4 years ago when we bought a BMW, then a Renault cabriolet. Traded that for a manual again as soon as I could justify it to the missus (it is hard to get a baby seat in a sports car and she got tired of having to lower the top in the rain to put the kid in the car!). Fuel economy is better, acceleration is better and it is just much more fun to drive!

Downshifting is a wonderful technique, very under used. Saves fuel, you have more control, and it saves wear on the brakes.

Offline Howie66

you don't know my wife!  (if she sees this, i'm in big trouble!!)
:silly:

Offline Howie66

Heck - I didn't have an automatic until 4 years ago when we bought a BMW, then a Renault cabriolet. Traded that for a manual again as soon as I could justify it to the missus (it is hard to get a baby seat in a sports car and she got tired of having to lower the top in the rain to put the kid in the car!). Fuel economy is better, acceleration is better and it is just much more fun to drive!

Downshifting is a wonderful technique, very under used. Saves fuel, you have more control, and it saves wear on the brakes.

Correct on all points!