Author Topic: GOP to avoid ‘traveling circus’ for 2016 primary debates; Priebus nixes liberal moderators  (Read 4091 times)

Offline Rapunzel

http://www.bizpacreview.com/2014/03/16/gop-to-avoid-traveling-circus-for-2016-primary-debates-priebus-nixes-liberal-moderators-106741

GOP to avoid ‘traveling circus’ for 2016 primary debates; Priebus nixes liberal moderators
March 16, 2014 by Joe Saunders

The Republican Party’s finally playing to win.

The 2016 presidential nomination process will include fewer than half the televised debates of the “traveling circus” of 2012, GOP National Committee Chairman Reince Priebus announced Friday.

Tangles between candidate Newt Gingrich and moderator Wolf Blitzer became a subplot of the 2012 Republican primary contest.

More important, Republicans are going to stop letting the mainstream media determine their agenda by determining the topics during debates, Priebus said, according to the Associated Press.

“I think a traveling circus of debates is insanity in this party,” Priebus said at the California Republican Party’s Spring Convention in Burlingame, Calif. “We’re proposing to have fewer than 10, and this time around, we’re going to pick the moderators.”

What in the world took so long?

There’s no question that the 2012 GOP nominating process was influenced heavily by a mainstream media that has no love for the Republican Party.

In January 2012 alone, CNN’s Wolf Blitzer’s tangles with former House Speaker Newt Gingrich during debate questions turned into national stories in themselves, while Clinton family protégé George Stephanopoulos single-handedly diverted the GOP campaign – and presaged a major Democrat line of attack in the general election – with his questioning of Mitt Romney about contraception.

Some of it made for good television — Newt’s putdowns of some of the libs early on were priceless — but the Republican Party nominating process isn’t “American Idol.”

How about having Republican, conservative moderators who know what they’re talking about ask the questions for a change? If Marco Rubio can win over Ann Coulter and Laura Ingraham on immigration, he’ll deserve the nomination. If Ted Cruz can out-logic George Will about the government shutdown, Republicans will have their man.

If any Republican candidate — anyone at all — can be smarter or tougher than the Wall Street Journal’s Kimberley Strassel, victory is assured.

The Republican Party letting the mainstream networks choose debate moderators is like a baseball team letting opponents name the umps. There’s no doubt the men in blue are going to say they’re just doing their job, they might even really believe it. It’s just a coincidence that every call goes the wrong way.

That’s not the way to win the ball game.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline rustynail

Offline xyno

Sandy, Christie and Candy did Governor Romney in last cycle.  The big Mo was was starting for him and the trifecta of those three intervened.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
IF the GOP were really serious about playing to win, the first thing that would happen is REINCE PRIEBUS (aka Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's Kid Brother) would be ejected as GOP Chair and replaced with someone else.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Rapunzel

IF the GOP were really serious about playing to win, the first thing that would happen is REINCE PRIEBUS (aka Debbie Wasserman-Schultz's Kid Brother) would be ejected as GOP Chair and replaced with someone else.

word.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline LambChop

And would only put up real candidates, not people looking to get rich off book sales and such.  Mr. (999) Herman Cain as a candidate in debates dragged them into the circus.  How can you look at serious candidates when you have distractions like that going on?

Offline olde north church

They might want to have every candidate write a "Why I Should Be The Conservative Candidate for 2016" essay in 25 words or less.  Spelling and punctuation count.  Winner to be determined by a snappy game game of mumble-de-peg.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Howie66

I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Chieftain

• AMF, YOYO
  • Your what hurts??
Reince, Fail, Repeat...............................................

Offline Rapunzel

They might want to have every candidate write a "Why I Should Be The Conservative Candidate for 2016" essay in 25 words or less.  Spelling and punctuation count.  Winner to be determined by a snappy game game of mumble-de-peg.

Maybe we need two primaries-- one for conservatives and one for the moderate/liberals then let those two duke it out to be the nominee against the Democrat candidate.

Offline sinkspur

Bizarre. Priebus is cleaning up the RNC after that joke, Michael Steele, making the debates more reasonable, is drawing in more campaign cash than ever, and you want to replace him.

With who?  Some Tea Party fool who doesn't play well with others?
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Howie66

I think that a competition be held to see which candidate can field strip and reassemble an AR-15 and a 1911-A1 in the quickest time and put a full mag down range through each. The winner would have my total support.

Offline olde north church

Preibus got his job thanks to Scott Walker's good word.
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Offline Howie66

Reince, Fail, Repeat...............................................

Damned right!   *girl beer*

Offline Howie66

Maybe we need two primaries-- one for conservatives and one for the moderate/liberals then let those two duke it out to be the nominee against the Democrat candidate.
Sounds like a plan!

Offline Howie66

Preibus got his job thanks to Scott Walker's good word.
And the GOP "performance" of 2012 should earn him a one way trip back home. He, as head of the GOP blew it, big time. No rewards for failure.

Offline xyno

Serious question:

He'd be replaced by, who?

Offline sinkspur

And the GOP "performance" of 2012 should earn him a one way trip back home. He, as head of the GOP blew it, big time. No rewards for failure.

LOL!!!   The candidate had nothing to do with the loss, with his ridiculous "47%" remark? 

Priebus is doing a fine job.  Using your logic, you'll be saying what a great job he did when the Republicans take the Senate in November.

Offline xyno

Seriously, we are 16 months removed from the last election and we are in primary season for the next which is only 7+ months away.  And we want to replace him?  With who?

Offline Rapunzel

LOL!!!   The candidate had nothing to do with the loss, with his ridiculous "47%" remark? 

Priebus is doing a fine job.  Using your logic, you'll be saying what a great job he did when the Republicans take the Senate in November.

FACT: RNC took responsibility away from Romney for the GOTV for the 2012 election.
FACT:  They failed miserably at GOTV

Offline sinkspur

FACT: RNC took responsibility away from Romney for the GOTV for the 2012 election.
FACT:  They failed miserably at GOTV

No.  The brain-dead fundies stayed at home because they hated Romney's Mormonism.  Can't GOTV with a bunch of religious bigots.

Offline Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
I don't like Preibus even a little bit the fact is that we are stuck with him for the moment!

Can you imagine the field day the MSM would have with a movement to oust him?  I can!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline Rapunzel

No.  The brain-dead fundies stayed at home because they hated Romney's Mormonism.  Can't GOTV with a bunch of religious bigots.

They didn't GOTV. That is irrefutable.

As for the fundies we don't know people didn't vote for Romney because of his religion.   There is a lot that took place the day everyone voted that never should have happened and one was that fancy schmancy new cell phone ap thingy that they hadn't tested and failed.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Congratulations to the Chairman on a prudent course of action.   

Offline xyno

They didn't GOTV. That is irrefutable.

As for the fundies we don't know people didn't vote for Romney because of his religion.   There is a lot that took place the day everyone voted that never should have happened and one was that fancy schmancy new cell phone ap thingy that they hadn't tested and failed.

And that is Priebus' fault?  Good grief!  There were many factors and we know a good many of them but it seems to me the failure of GOTV was something that God himself wasn't going to overcome withe the party puritans in 2012.