Author Topic: Mitch McConnell’s Modest Contract with America  (Read 5750 times)

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
Re: Mitch McConnell’s Modest Contract with America
« Reply #25 on: March 16, 2014, 10:37:17 pm »
As long as they are "bringing home the pork" everyone loves their own Congress Critter, but you ask most people and they will agree that there should be term limits.

As I said the other day, to all of those that keep hollering for TERM LIMITS, the very best time to institute TERM LIMITS is during the PRIMARY SEASON. It's really not at all that complicated.

Does anybody seriously believe that the Career Politicians that infest Congress today will ever pass legislation to limit how long they can feed off the Public Trough?  That's NOT going to happen.

Take them out with your Primary vote BEFORE the general elections. Pick them off one by one, and replace them with someone that will do the right thing.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #26 on: March 16, 2014, 10:38:53 pm »
There never was the intent that all politicians in D.C. leave their office in a pine box. When is enough, enough?

In the words of that old hag Pelosi, they can spend time with their family, and learn to paint and write poetry. All I am saying is that it is past time to free Washington politicians from 'job-lock'.

I am only concerned about their welfare, that's all.

It's not weird if it works!   :beer:
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #27 on: March 16, 2014, 10:45:42 pm »
As I said the other day, to all of those that keep hollering for TERM LIMITS, the very best time to institute TERM LIMITS is during the PRIMARY SEASON. It's really not at all that complicated.

Does anybody seriously believe that the Career Politicians that infest Congress today will ever pass legislation to limit how long they can feed off the Public Trough?  That's NOT going to happen.

Take them out with your Primary vote BEFORE the general elections. Pick them off one by one, and replace them with someone that will do the right thing.

The problem is that the process you describe requires a well informed citizenry with critical thinking skills intact.  Sadly we no longer have much of that left in most areas of the country, that's a part of why we have the mess that we do.  I think that most of us would be shocked at the minuscule amount of "thought" that goes into a majority of the voters' choices, those that even bother to show up.

Offline happyg

« Reply #28 on: March 16, 2014, 10:54:02 pm »
McConnell says of the new crop of conservative candidates that he wants to “crush them everywhere.” He calls conservatives traitors, fringe, and drunk.

Mitch McConnell backed Charlie Crist against Marco Rubio.

Mitch McConnell backed Trey Grayson against Rand Paul.

Mitch McConnell backed Bob Bennett against Mike Lee.

Mitch McConnell backed David Dewhurst against Ted Cruz.

Mitch McConnell backed Arlen Specter against Pat Toomey.

It is time to back Matt Bevin against Mitch McConnell.

http://www.redstate.com/2014/03/12/judgment-and-leadership/

Offline Howie66

« Reply #29 on: March 16, 2014, 11:11:13 pm »
The problem is that the process you describe requires a well informed citizenry with critical thinking skills intact.  Sadly we no longer have much of that left in most areas of the country, that's a part of why we have the mess that we do.  I think that most of us would be shocked at the minuscule amount of "thought" that goes into a majority of the voters' choices, those that even bother to show up.

Trust me, I know what you mean. If anybody doubts it, there is plenty of evidence right at hand.

Offline Howie66

Offline speekinout

« Reply #31 on: March 16, 2014, 11:54:19 pm »

What is the right thing?

What are you looking for your Senator or Representative to do? Does it make a difference to you if he or she is a member of a key committee or maybe even the committee chairman instead of just a vote on the floor? Is there a difference between what he or she does if he or she is a member of the majority party vs. being in the minority?

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 01:11:03 am »
I seem to remember Washington retreating a lot until he had sufficient force to attack.

Here's what you're missing:  he fought for a goal....despite the odds.  He never stopped...he  fought until total victory.

Now is not the time to retreat.  Now is not the time to sing the praises of the GOP status quo.

THIS is the time to march on.....under bold leadership....until total victory.

One is either part of the fight or part of the problem.  Now is also the time to choose.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:12:58 am by Right_in_Virginia »

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #33 on: March 17, 2014, 01:12:07 am »
Here's what you're missing:  he fought despite the odds .... and fought until total victory.

Now is not the time to retreat.  Now is not the time to sing the praises of the GOP status quo.

One is either part of the fight or part of the problem.  Now is also the time to choose.

goopo
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #34 on: March 17, 2014, 01:25:35 am »
Here's what you're missing:  he fought for a goal....despite the odds.  He never stopped...he  fought until total victory.

Like shutting down the government because Obama wouldn't agree to defund Obamacare? 

THAT kind of bold leadership?  The kind of leadership that had no plan, no strategy, no fallback other than hope?

Fighting when there is no chance at victory is stupid and suicidal.
Roy Moore's "spiritual warfare" is driving past a junior high without stopping.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #35 on: March 17, 2014, 01:26:38 am »
Like shutting down the government because Obama wouldn't agree to defund Obamacare? 

This lie is getting really, REALLY old.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #36 on: March 17, 2014, 01:30:39 am »

THAT kind of bold leadership?  The kind of leadership that had no plan, no strategy, no fallback other than hope?

Fighting when there is no chance at victory is stupid and suicidal.

I'm still convinced that Cruz' antics served a huge purpose in keeping hope alive in many homes across America.  Somebody was out there speaking and fighting against the insanity.

It's damned well appreciated.  And it bears out in elections. 

If he ends up like Spartacus....so be it.   There's a lot of positions in a GOP administration for a person with that intensity.  It'll drive the Left nuts.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline happyg

« Reply #37 on: March 17, 2014, 01:35:00 am »
Obama shut down the government. Cruz merely called his bluff. Don't forget the damage Obama (not Cruz) did when he locked elderly veterans from getting in. Or the parks he closed, among the many unnecessary closures. Obama is the one who wants to damage America. Cruz is trying to fix it.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #38 on: March 17, 2014, 01:37:38 am »
I'm still convinced that Cruz' antics served a huge purpose in keeping hope alive in many homes across America.  Somebody was out there speaking and fighting against the insanity.

If he ends up like Spartacus....so be it.   There's a lot of positions in a GOP administration for a person with that intensity.  It'll drive the Left nuts.

He did unbelievable damage to the GOP brand among Independents and even among some Republicans.  The only ones impressed with his stunt were the Tea Partiers, and they didn't need the shutdown to love Cruz.

Plus he delayed for half-a-month the negative reaction to Obamacare.  Republicans are STILL viewed more negatively than the Democrats, even with the Obamacare fiasco.

Offline sinkspur

« Reply #39 on: March 17, 2014, 01:38:42 am »
Obama shut down the government. Cruz merely called his bluff. Don't forget the damage Obama (not Cruz) did when he locked elderly veterans from getting in. Or the parks he closed, among the many unnecessary closures. Obama is the one who wants to damage America. Cruz is trying to fix it.

You just go right on believing that.  Most other American voters DO NOT agree with you.

Offline happyg

« Reply #40 on: March 17, 2014, 01:40:10 am »
You just go right on believing that.  Most other American voters DO NOT agree with you.

The truth about Obama is creeping up on them. I don't believe it; I know it.

Offline katzenjammer

« Reply #41 on: March 17, 2014, 01:40:33 am »

Yes, yes, and yes!  goopo

Oceander

« Reply #42 on: March 17, 2014, 01:45:09 am »

Yes, his antics served a purpose - or rather, could have served a purpose if he and the (moderate) GOP leadership could learn to work together instead of against each other.  From what I understand, he hasn't exactly taken up the opportunities that were extended to him when he was elected.  That's dumb and it sucks out a lot of the value of his actions.  Of course, sauce for the goose is sauce for the gander and the GOP leadership needs to start realizing that he could be a useful complement to them if they took advantage of the results he causes rather than getting the deer-in-the-headlights look.

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #43 on: March 17, 2014, 01:49:21 am »

Here is what you're missing: when Washington lost his first few battles he changed his attack plans to emulate American Indian guerrilla tactics.  He was able to tell that his frontal attacks sucked.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 01:51:44 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #44 on: March 17, 2014, 01:53:04 am »

Oh yes, let's please argue this for the 1239876 time. Who shut down the government? How evil the tea party and Cruz is in destroying the reputations of the great almighty Mitch and Boehner. All awhile Russia threatens to nuke our dumbasses. Nothing to see here move along. Oh and Romney has a freaking horse and Christie stopped traffic.
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #45 on: March 17, 2014, 01:58:26 am »
Oh yes, let's please argue this for the 1239876 time. Who shut down the government? How evil the tea party and Cruz is in destroying the reputations of the great almighty Mitch and Boehner. All awhile Russia threatens to nuke our dumbasses. Nothing to see here move along. Oh and Romney has a freaking horse and Christie stopped traffic.

Romney has a horse?

Offline happyg

« Reply #46 on: March 17, 2014, 01:59:30 am »

:silly:

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #47 on: March 17, 2014, 02:01:26 am »
Romney also has an elevator just for HIS CAR!

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #49 on: March 17, 2014, 02:14:36 am »
Here is what you're missing: when Washington lost his first few battles he changed his attack plans to emulate American Indian guerrilla tactics.  He was able to tell that his frontal attacks sucked.

Washington had a goal and he had guts.  As did every man who signed the Declaration of Independence.  These times demand the same dedication to the same goal...and the same type of guts. 

Now is the time for political action, not fear.  This is the year we need to vote as though the very future of our nation hangs in the balance. The entrenched status quo is simply not good enough for the job at hand.  Our voices and our votes need to be loud and clear about this.