Author Topic: Ted Cruz is viewed unfavorably in his home state  (Read 1535 times)

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

Ted Cruz is viewed unfavorably in his home state
« on: March 16, 2014, 02:03:26 am »
Latest polling from Emerson College Polling Society

http://media.wix.com/ugd/3bebb2_759a484e08ca4287b5bc51d0ae79f3b2.pdf

Other Findings

United States Senator and Tea Party favorite Ted Cruz is viewed unfavorably in his
home state
--
43 percent view him favorably while 48 percent view him unfavorably. Cr
uz
is particularly unpopular among women (39% favorable compared to 50% unfavorable).

Full findings available as an xls file under Texas Gubernatorial Race

Re: Ted Cruz is viewed unfavorably in his home state
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2014, 02:05:03 am »
http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/right-turn/wp/2014/03/14/ted-cruz-not-so-popular-back-home/

Republicans: 74 percent favorable, 18 percent unfavorable
    Democrats: 8 percent favorable, 82 percent unfavorable
    Independents: 38 percent favorable, 50 percent unfavorable

Whites: 47.3 percent favorable, 46.3 percent unfavorable
    African American: 14.3 percent favorable, 78.6 percent unfavorable
    Hispanic: 37.3 percent favorable, 52.9% unfavorable
    Asian: 66.7 percent, unfavorable 33.3, percent
    Other: 52 percent favorable, 28 percent unfavorable

Online Bigun

• Resistance to Tyrants is Obedience to God
    • The FairTax Plan
« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2014, 02:10:21 am »
You just keep right on believing that BS!
"I wish it need not have happened in my time," said Frodo.

"So do I," said Gandalf, "and so do all who live to see such times. But that is not for them to decide. All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given us."
- J. R. R. Tolkien

Offline R4 TrumPence

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2014, 02:38:02 am »
He is more than welcome here in SC.  I haven't spoken to a soul that doesn't think he is an awesome breath of fresh air!  88finger point

I am Repub4Bush on FR '02

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2014, 02:56:29 am »

Two kinds of people in this country. Texans. Those who wish they were.

The bottom line is that TED CRUZ is doing exactly what we sent him to the Senate to do. He has not disappointed at all.

Of course that throws a huge wrench into the works of the state GOP Establishment, but so what? They are on their way out.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2014, 03:12:41 am »

Oh he believes it alright, because he keeps spewing it 24/7.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2014, 03:17:36 am »
Oh he believes it alright, because he keeps spewing it 24/7.
I absolutely think Ted Cruz will not be re-elected.  The only way I'd trust him again is if he co-sponsors the amnesty that is coming within a year.  And by that time nobody will be calling themselves a Tea Party candidate.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:19:09 am by Once-Ler »

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2014, 03:27:15 am »
Putting aside that this polling sample is less than half of what's considered necessary for polling accuracy, does anyone see where the R-D-I percentage breakdown is listed within the sample?  I don't.   :pondering:

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:22 am »
http://www.nationaljournal.com/politics/ted-cruz-is-losing-his-grip-on-the-gop-20140116

Hidden in a new NBC News/Marist poll on Chris Christie are some pretty bleak numbers for Sen. Ted Cruz.

The poll asked Republicans and Republican-leaning independents who, if they were voting today, they'd support in a 2016 GOP presidential primary. Christie came in first with 16 percent support, followed by Rep. Paul Ryan, R-Wis. (12 percent), Sen. Rand Paul, R-Ky. (9 percent), former Florida Gov. Jeb Bush (8 percent), and Sen. Marco Rubio, R-Fla. (7 percent).

You'll notice Cruz—who was in the top five in distant December, 2013—is missing from that list. That's because the Texas Republican, who briefly led the GOP pack in at least one poll following his 21-hour September Senate floor speech, dropped from 10 percent support in December to 5 percent support in January. If Chris Christie doesn't run, Ted Cruz is still not a top five choice, being beat out by the likes of Rick Santorum. The poll does have a 5 percent margin of error among Republican voters though, so good news for Cruz is, he could really be back up at 10. Or, you know, all the way down to zero.

This bears repeating: 2016 polls so far out are really, really silly for trying to get a good sense of who is going to win come Election Day. In the NBC News/Marist poll, a quarter of GOP voters are undecided. But these new numbers do show just how fleeting political crushes can be.

Definitely don't bet against Cruz regaining some of that fall 2013 fire ahead of a possible presidential campaign. But right now, he seems to be drifting away from the radar.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2014, 03:50:43 am »
This bears repeating: 2016 polls so far out are really, really silly for trying to get a good sense of who is going to win come Election Day.

But by all means, post these crap shit polls anyway.  :silly:

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2014, 04:32:31 am »
But by all means, post these crap shit polls anyway.  :silly:
The Tea Party can no longer threaten the GOPe and expect to be unchallenged.
Once the primaries are over expect a GOPe response to Cruz, Lee and Sessions.
Until then enjoy the drip drip drip of the weakest opposition research.
The Koch Brothers and other GOP heavyweights have turned off the spigot to the scammers who pretend to be conservative but only attack the GOP.  And in politics money matters.  The Tea Party is over.

« Reply #11 on: March 16, 2014, 04:36:12 am »
http://www.gopbriefingroom.com/index.php/topic,132520.0.html

http://www.breitbart.com/Big-Government/2014/03/15/Senator-Rand-Paul-Wins-NRLC-2014-Presidential-Survey

Senator Rand Paul Wins NRLC 2014 Presidential Survey

by Warner Todd Huston 15 Mar 2014, 4:33 PM PDT

With his latest straw poll win, Kentucky Senator Rand Paul seems to be the early candidate to beat for the 2016 GOP nomination for President. Sen. Paul came out on top in the 2014 presidential survey taken at the Northeast Republican Leadership Conference on March 15.

Paul topped the field, finding favor with 15 percent of respondents and edging out New Jersey Governor Chris Christie, who received 13 percent. In a three-way tie for third place came Dr. Ben Carson, Wisconsin Governor Scott Walker, and former Senator Rick Santorum each with 11 percent.

Texas Senator Ted Cruz popped in at only 8th place, getting 4 percent of the vote.

Offline happyg

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 04:36:27 am »
The Tea Party can no longer threaten the GOPe and expect to be unchallenged.
Once the primaries are over expect a GOPe response to Cruz, Lee and Sessions.
Until then enjoy the drip drip drip of the weakest opposition research.
The Koch Brothers and other GOP heavyweights have turned off the spigot to the scammers who pretend to be conservative but only attack the GOP.  And in politics money matters.  The Tea Party is over.

You have that backwards. We're Going to Crush Tea Party Candidates is not the conservatives going after the GOP, but McConnell furthering the divide.

« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 05:01:20 am »
You have that backwards. We're Going to Crush Tea Party Candidates is not the conservatives going after the GOP, but McConnell furthering the divide.

Just after the Cruz/SCF shutdown the SCF declared war on McConnell.  Oct 18, 2013
http://www.politico.com/story/2013/10/senate-conservatives-fund-backs-matt-bevin-98526.html

You own Bevin.  I got McConnell.  May the better man win.

Oceander

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 05:03:06 am »

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 06:46:27 am »

Now that's three times you've posted that animation to me.  I feel like you're trying to tell me something.

You're a kill-joy Oceander.  I take back all the ambiguously nice things I said about you, and I don't know why my side is wearing a blue dress.  Red goes so much better with pale skin and gold.

hurm...

"avoided as much hyperbole and rhetoric as possible."

How the hell am I going to score points that way?  Intellectually I know GOP infighting is counterproductive, but I don't know how you meet someone halfway when they are proud they do not compromise their principles in the search for solutions.   My way or the highway doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Oceander

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:18 pm »
Now that's three times you've posted that animation to me.  I feel like you're trying to tell me something.

You're a kill-joy Oceander.  I take back all the ambiguously nice things I said about you, and I don't know why my side is wearing a blue dress.  Red goes so much better with pale skin and gold.

hurm...

"avoided as much hyperbole and rhetoric as possible."

How the hell am I going to score points that way?  Intellectually I know GOP infighting is counterproductive, but I don't know how you meet someone halfway when they are proud they do not compromise their principles in the search for solutions.   My way or the highway doesn't leave a lot of wiggle room.

Sometimes I just get riled up enough.  It wasn't aimed at you necessarily - certainly your name wasn't on it - but at both factions in general.

On the substance?  I think you go hyperlocal and start finding out what is driving the ordinary individuals who at this point have been putting their support behind tea party politicians - at the very least, those who've made common cause with a politician who's going seriously out on the fringe - and start seriously engaging with them on that level.  That doesn't mean simply catering or pandering to them - part of the reason they're mad is because they've been pandered to so often - and it doesn't mean talking electoral strategy with them - they're less interested in procedural strategy than they are in getting their wants heard by someone who'll take them seriously.

Basically, you start a conversation with them.  And that doesn't mean that at the end of the day you're going to go along with specific policies they've proposed, or even that you try to fulfill their every wish; you do what everyone really needs from their friends in their ordinary, nonpolitical lives: you listen, you try to put what's legitimate into a broader context, and you respectfully explain why some of the things they want simply cannot be realized.  On the latter, getting rid of abortion is an easy example:  abortion will never go away, not as a practical matter and not as a legal/constitutional matter either.  Abortion is here to stay, so as much as it may pain you to tell them, there is simply no point in wasting time and political capital trying to use the political/legislative process to get rid of abortion.  However, not all is lost, you would tell them, it's legitimate to not want government to be facilitating or encouraging abortion, so that is a legitimate avenue to pursue, and  - and this is where you bring in the bigger context - that should be undertaken as part of a larger process of reforming entitlements and all of the social spending/redistribution the government currently engages in.

You (I don't mean you personally, by "you" I'm referring to the hypothetical moderate politician) also need to pull your policies and views into a coherent overarching view of what America stands for and how those abstract principles are put into practice in real life.  For example, it's very easy to talk about immigration reform - either to clamp down or to loosen up - but the devil is in the details and it can be devilishly hard to work out how to enforce certain types of immigration laws without trampling over other peoples' rights.  Here again, part of the conversation is respectfully explaining why some of the things people want to do viz. immigration - here I'm thinking of the hard no-amnesty view - simply won't work and shouldn't be put into practice.

In terms of getting into practicalities and realities, I think you also need to have a serious discussion in plain English with them about the necessity of compromise with your opponents - for example, by giving a little historical background on how the Founders viewed compromise as a necessary tool of governance; for example, it was a compromise between the populists and those afraid of demagoguery that gave us the bicameral Congress with one chamber - the House - popularly elected, and in charge of initiating government spending, and the other chamber - the Senate - chosen by the states qua states, and intended to act as a balance and check on the populist excesses of the House.  With that background, I think you then start talking about the art of the strategic compromise, and as part of that you lead off with the example of Ronald Reagan and how he was able to achieve many of his goals in the face of initially concerted resistance by artfully working out a compromise.  The emphasis here should be on explaining/demonstrating that compromise is not an inherently dirty word, that it isn't the same thing as surrendering to your opponents, and that it works best when you achieve the most important of your goals, and that you exact a sufficient price for the things you do compromise on.  Another part of this discussion has to entail, in my view, a discussion of why not all principles and goals are created equally, and that part of being a successful leader is prioritizing your principles and goals, from the absolutely crucial - which cannot be compromised to any great degree - down to the corollary and tertiary - those that can be readily compromised on without betraying your most vital principles - and then carefully thinking out what the price of compromise is for everything that you can safely compromise.

Compromise without a framework of principles, ordered in terms of their relative importance, and without an understanding of the price for each compromise, leads to apparently rudderless conduct, with compromises appearing to be arbitrary and without real reason, and without getting a fair price in exchange for such a compromise.  It is this last part that I think makes many people frustrated with the moderates in the GOP:  the appearance of random, arbitrary compromises apparently made for the sake of expediency, and made without getting anything of equal value in return.

I think that if moderates would (and could) do something like this, they would begin to peel away some of the support the more radical tea partiers have, making it easier to reach a more unified overall position for the party as a whole, but without internal bickering or suppression of dissent.  Obviously, this process would not convince everyone:  there are many people who are committed to their positions, including their refusal to compromise at all, and who simply will not take you seriously; but that's a brute fact of life in every endeavour - some people will just never like you no matter what you do - and should be accepted and not taken as some sort of an attack on you.

That's what I think moderates should be doing right now, not going on mainstream media shows and exposing republicans' internal dirty laundry to media personalities who are hostile to republicans as such and who take every opportunity to turn normal intra-party dissent into further evidence for why the republicans are evil people who cannot be trusted.  When Mitch McConnell says that he's going to "crush" the tea partiers, that helps nobody except for the democrats.  Not only does it give them ammunition they will gleefully use, it also gets tea partiers' hackles up and makes a rapprochement with them all that much harder.

Finally, I do think that it's the job of moderates to take the lead in this process.  Moderates are the leaders of the party and have been for a while.  In any organization it is the job of the leader to approach the dissenters and understand what makes them tick, why they're dissenting, and what they're dissenting from.  It isn't the job of the dissent, who almost by definition are in the minority - else they wouldn't be the dissent - to take the lead in convincing themselves that their dissent really isn't effective and should be dropped.

To quote Hopper, the leader of the grasshopper gang in A Bug's Life:  First rule of leadership: everything is your fault.

Of course in reality I do expect the dissent to act in good faith and to do their part to pursue a rapprochement, which will necessarily require that they, too, do some hard work on their own to figure out what they really want, why they want it, what parts they can comfortably compromise on, and what the price of any compromise will be.  Acting in good faith requires that they do something more than sit there like prima donnas waiting for the boys to come to them; but they can't be expected to do all the heavy lifting and, in fact, can't be expected to do the lions' share of the heavy lifting, precisely because they're the minority, not the majority.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 03:48:03 pm by Oceander »

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 05:38:23 pm »
Thank you for this very thoughtful reply.

The GOP leadership tried to bring Sen Cruz into the leadership by putting him on the NRSC.  He didn't work with the leadership.  The GOPe had more success reaching out to Paul and Rubio.

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/columnists/todd-j-gillman/20140315-todd-j.-gillman-ted-cruzs-split-from-fellow-republicans-increasingly-out-in-the-open.ece

Just after Cruz won the Texas seat in 2012, McConnell asked him to join the leadership team at the campaign committee, hoping he would serve as a bridge to tea party activists.

Instead, Cruz turned out to be an irritant. In one of many episodes, he recently attacked “Republican leadership” — that is, McConnell and Cornyn — for helping Democrats quash his effort to filibuster an increase in the federal debt limit.

By that point, he’d been absent for months from the campaign committee, which Cornyn led for four years before his elevation to whip.

The committee’s mission is to maximize the number of Republican senators. Incumbents are the main constituency and source of financial muscle. Cruz says he never signed up to help incumbents survive contested primaries.

But neutrality conveys a meaning, too. His refusal to back Cornyn for re-election left many tea partiers assuming that he disapproved of the senior senator.

How much that stung for Cornyn remains a closely held secret.

He survived the eight-way primary on March 4 with roughly 60 percent. That’s an uninspiring showing for a Texas senator seeking re-election. But assuming he can swat down a Democratic challenge, it was enough to buy him six years of breathing room.

Cornyn loyalists have been less reticent about Cruz. They find it galling that he couldn’t bring himself to support Cornyn’s renomination when the most potent threat came from a congressman — Steve Stockman — who ran such a flaky, fact-free campaign that major tea party groups actively shunned him.

Cornyn downplayed any rift.

“This is just a personal policy of Senator Cruz and isn’t one necessarily shared by other people who enjoy support from that part of our party,” he said.

It’s not just so-called establishment Republicans whom Cruz is rubbing the wrong way.

Last week, a brewing feud burst into view between him and Paul.

Both are eyeing a bid for president in 2016. When Cruz returns to Iowa on Tuesday, he’ll find that Paul just hired the state GOP chairman as an adviser to his political action committee.

They’re fighting for many of the same voters. And they’re starting to throw elbows.

“U.S. leadership is critical in the world,” Cruz said in a national security speech this month in which he critiqued Paul’s foreign policy as overly isolationist.

A few days later, Paul accused Cruz of being “divisive.”

“I'm not real excited about him mischaracterizing my views,” Paul told Fox News. “You know, sometimes, people want to stand up and say, ‘Hey, look at me, I'm the next Ronald Reagan.’ Well, almost all of us in the party are big fans of Ronald Reagan.”

Now the rub is that working with the GOP establishment is going to cost Paul and Rubio points with the far right, but they will get a seat at the table.  I think Cruz can look forward to zero good committee assignments and his new office is likely to be located between 2 dumpsters in the alley behind the Dirksen bldg.

You make an excellent point that McConnell unnecessarily inflamed the far right with his "crush" comment.  McConnell probably thinks he could have worded that better.  It's possible somebody told McConnell he polls badly because he is too reserved and he needs to be more passionate...so he picked the wrong issue to be passionate about.  But more likely he is pissed off at SCF and Bevin and didn't hide his anger well.   Cornyn is better at that.

Bevin won't win the primary but it is possible McConnell could lose to Grimes.  Cornyn would take the Majority Leader spot in that case.  He won't be so quick to air GOP dirty laundry.

Offline happyg

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 06:04:42 pm »
I think Cruz can look forward to zero good committee assignments and his new office is likely to be located between 2 dumpsters in the alley behind the Dirksen bldg.

Interesting how the GOP awards and punishes. You either kiss ass, or are relegated to the back burner. What a waste of talent!

Online mountaineer

« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 06:12:15 pm »
Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people. For example, if you have a strong dislike for someone, you might instead believe that he or she does not like you. Projection works by allowing the expression of the desire or impulse, but in a way that the ego cannot recognize, therefore reducing anxiety.
Support Israel's emergency medical service. afmda.org

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 06:25:31 pm »

:thumbsup2:

Offline olde north church

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 06:45:13 pm »
I just think Cruz sounds a lot like Oceander Carvey's impersonation of Bush 41, truly, does.  Close your eyes and think Cruz saying, "Wouldn't be prudent."
Why?  Well, because I'm a bastard, that's why.

Oceander

« Reply #22 on: March 16, 2014, 07:35:30 pm »
Interesting how the GOP awards and punishes. You either kiss ass, or are relegated to the back burner. What a waste of talent!

That's setting up a strawman; it isn't nearly as either/or as that.

Oceander

« Reply #23 on: March 16, 2014, 07:44:58 pm »
Projection is a defense mechanism that involves taking our own unacceptable qualities or feelings and ascribing them to other people. For example, if you have a strong dislike for someone, you might instead believe that he or she does not like you. Projection works by allowing the expression of the desire or impulse, but in a way that the ego cannot recognize, therefore reducing anxiety.

that certainly does explain a lot of Cruz' behavior.  :smokin:

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #24 on: March 16, 2014, 08:04:24 pm »
that certainly does explain a lot of Cruz' behavior.  :smokin:

You must be hearing and seeing a different Ted Cruz than I know.

Or, do you have these same thoughts about Sarah Palin, too?
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 08:04:51 pm by Howie66 »
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.