Author Topic: Father-of-one loses three limbs and half his face to flesh eating bacteria which started as a common cold just FOUR months ago  (Read 1475 times)

Offline Rapunzel

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
how did a "common cold" develop into a Group A streptococcus infection?

Offline happyg

how did a "common cold" develop into a Group A streptococcus infection?

It's weird. I watched a show where the guy had a cut that wasn't deep enough to need stitches, but he lost his leg over it. The only way to stop the flesh eating disease is to cut it off.

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
It's weird. I watched a show where the guy had a cut that wasn't deep enough to need stitches, but he lost his leg over it. The only way to stop the flesh eating disease is to cut it off.

How is it picked up?  Where does it come from?  It can't be something that's prevalent in the everyday general environment because people get shallow cuts all the time.  The one place I can think of where it could be present in the environment would be inside a hospital or some clinics.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
My father-in-law died from a blood infection he got while he was in the hospital for a heart condition. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
Thank you for that post Rapunzel, it's very helpful.

The symptoms of necrotizing fasciitis include redness, swelling, and pain in the affected area. Blisters may be seen in the involved area of skin. Fever, nausea, vomiting, and other flulike symptoms are common.

It sounds like he might have gotten that sort of an infection right off the bat, but that the symptoms were treated as a common cold.  That or perhaps he started off with a sore throat caused by this streptococcus and that somehow turned necrotic.

Is this the sort of thing that also goes by the term blood poisoning?

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
a little overwhelming, but I do appreciate it.

In plain English - 'cause I'm just not that good with medical lingo - what are the basic signs a lame-o like me should watch for that would/should tell me "get thee to a clinic immediately, fool"?

(sorry if I seem a little paranoid here, I am 'cause I get a lot of little nicks and stuff and I'd rather not overlook something).

Offline Rapunzel

a little overwhelming, but I do appreciate it.

In plain English - 'cause I'm just not that good with medical lingo - what are the basic signs a lame-o like me should watch for that would/should tell me "get thee to a clinic immediately, fool"?

(sorry if I seem a little paranoid here, I am 'cause I get a lot of little nicks and stuff and I'd rather not overlook something).

Well for example MRSA - which can come on suddenly - can look really innocuous on the surface - as in a small pimple, but is normally very painful and when lanced it will spew nasty stuff...... the only hope with MRSA is to be hospitalized and administered IV of one of three antibiotics supposedly work against it...

If you have a wound and it gets red and the red starts to spread and if in addition you feel feverish, develop a sore throat, etc... get thee to the ER...... 

If you are a person who gets cut on rose thorns or rusty wire, etc... and you haven't had one in quite a while  you need a tetanus shot.

You know they now make saline in a spray can anyone can buy at the drug store, a good idea to have saline in the cupboard to clean out cuts and wounds and to help in wound healing.

BTW they also make a saline nasal spray - which is good for colds, and allergies.....

The best defense against all of this is a strong immune system. 

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
Well for example MRSA - which can come on suddenly - can look really innocuous on the surface - as in a small pimple, but is normally very painful and when lanced it will spew nasty stuff...... the only hope with MRSA is to be hospitalized and administered IV of one of three antibiotics supposedly work against it...

If you have a wound and it gets red and the red starts to spread and if in addition you feel feverish, develop a sore throat, etc... get thee to the ER...... 

If you are a person who gets cut on rose thorns or rusty wire, etc... and you haven't had one in quite a while  you need a tetanus shot.

You know they now make saline in a spray can anyone can buy at the drug store, a good idea to have saline in the cupboard to clean out cuts and wounds and to help in wound healing.

BTW they also make a saline nasal spray - which is good for colds, and allergies.....

Thanks Rap.  My brother got MRSA from a spider bite on his back.  A spider bit me on  the foot a couple of years ago, it itched intensely and then spread into a nasty large blob of red blisters.  It scared me so I saw a doctor and she immediately put me on antibiotics.  She said the bad thing about spider bites is that you can get MRSA from them. 
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork

I get hang nails that get infected every so often.  I've always squeezed them out, no matter how painful - sometimes lancing them first - used generous amounts of rubbing alcohol to clean them, then used antibiotic ointment and a bandaid to cover them up.  I use either soap and water or rubbing alcohol to clean up little cuts and nicks as well.

Offline katzenjammer

One of the most fascinating things about that article is the way certain words/phrases are repeated over and over throughout.  It is almost as if it was written for a young child just learning how to read, as a way to help with basic reading comprehension.  I couldn't help but notice it.

Offline Rapunzel

I get hang nails that get infected every so often.  I've always squeezed them out, no matter how painful - sometimes lancing them first - used generous amounts of rubbing alcohol to clean them, then used antibiotic ointment and a bandaid to cover them up.  I use either soap and water or rubbing alcohol to clean up little cuts and nicks as well.

You might want to consider having a manicure every couple of weeks - seriously, yes men have manicures and pedicures all the time...  I have one big toe with a nail that tries to ingrow and the girl who does my pedicures is absolutely amazing at removing them - painful at times, but I grit it out and it's so much better than the alternative.    But a good nail person would get rid of your hangnails in no time. 

Offline Oceander

• Technical
  • Chief Dork
You might want to consider having a manicure every couple of weeks - seriously, yes men have manicures and pedicures all the time...  I have one big toe with a nail that tries to ingrow and the girl who does my pedicures is absolutely amazing at removing them - painful at times, but I grit it out and it's so much better than the alternative.    But a good nail person would get rid of your hangnails in no time. 

It's mostly just that I get a little bit of skin on the side of the finger come loose and rather than wait 'til I can clip it properly I pull on it (or worse yet, bite on it) and often end up tearing the skin and bringing blood up to the surface.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.

Seconded. Give it a try. It does feel a bit odd the first couple of times someone does it for you, but it does work. The manicurist doesn't just cut the nail - a good one will spend a few sessions reshaping it until it doesn't grow in any more.

I get a pedicure once every three weeks - my toenails tend to grow in and are made of something hard enough to be of interest to NASA!  :laugh: Sure, the salon I go to find it amusing - the clients especially - but it's worth the jokes. No different than going to get your hair cut.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Share me

Digg  Facebook  SlashDot  Delicious  Technorati  Twitter  Google  Yahoo
Smf