Author Topic: Rand Paul: GOP needs to ‘agree to disagree’ on social issues  (Read 4424 times)

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members

BY AARON BLAKE
March 14 at 12:16 pm

Sen. Rand Paul (R-Ky.) says in a new interview that Republicans should embrace a more tolerant view of those who don't hold conservative positions on social issues.

"I think that the Republican Party, in order to get bigger, will have to agree to disagree on social issues," Paul told vocativ.com. "The Republican Party is not going to give up on having quite a few people who do believe in traditional marriage. But the Republican Party also has to find a place for young people and others who don’t want to be festooned by those issues."

Paul's comments harken back somewhat to former Indiana governor Mitch Daniels's (R) call for a "truce" on social issues within the GOP. The comment at the time drew a rebuke from social conservatives.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/post-politics/wp/2014/03/14/rand-paul-gop-needs-to-agree-to-disagree-on-social-issues/
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
Re: Rand Paul: GOP needs to ‘agree to disagree’ on social issues
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 09:07:10 pm »
In other words, must adopt the Democrat positions on amnesty, abortion, legalizing drugs, and homo "marriage," along with whatever perversion the left adopts next like pedophilia.

Rand is no different than daddy, just a little more subtle.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 09:13:25 pm »
It seems like the more that I learn about Rand Paul, the less that I trust or like him.

Seriously.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 09:13:55 pm »
In other words, must adopt the Democrat positions on amnesty, abortion, legalizing drugs, and homo "marriage," along with whatever perversion the left adopts next like pedophilia.

Just a tad.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 09:31:46 pm »
Wow!  Right out of the box.....attack Rand Paul because he's not going to argue with SOCONS.

:whistle:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 09:42:41 pm »
My libertarian side sees what he is doing and agrees. I would love to take away the 'gotcha'- first debate questions, put out from a Candy Crowley type. By diffusing the progressive machine -by even a Cruz type candidate- saying that abortion and marriage is a states issue. Think about it...the media and the left are the ones who even put such a ridiculous question out there, to 'define the definition of marriage.' It is not for the progressives or government to define. I was filling out paper work the other day and it was full of 'significant other' choices. So, gay people can still be their SO's beneficiary. They don't want marriage defined for any other reason than empowering what they are doing and demoralizing others.

I don't think it is cowering to any high moral standard to throw a wrench in their gotchas. I am not all sure Rand can pull this off. I have concerns his foreign policies are mirrored to the progressives but worse, like his fathers. Remember when the debate question was who is your hero? Remember how W. Bush answered? He said without hesitation, Jesus Christ and he won. I don't think our countries morals have changed a bit from this. I do think the media succeeded in making the good guy the bad guy. The conservative caucus the extreme and the progressive caucus the cool accepted majority. So, if Candy asks the candidates about how marriage is defined or about abortion, refer to them as states rights while being pro-life. Like it, or not there are a lot of independents that don't  want the social issues in big government.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2014, 09:51:05 pm »
Wow!  Right out of the box.....attack Rand Paul because he's not going to argue with SOCONS.

:whistle:

Rand may not be *the* candidate to get behind in the end and I am waiting to hear his foreign policy ideas at debates. But yeah, the strict social conservatives should not let Candy Crowley ask anyone how a marriage is defined. I will probably get flamed but this is how I feel.

Online DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2014, 09:56:28 pm »
He's distancing himself from that image of a Social Conservative peeking into 'your' bedroom.

Let the others squirm up there on the podium....trying to be all things to all people.

He's going to disarm the bassturds right now.   He 'knows' that the vast majority of Tea Party voters are already behind him.
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Atomic Cow

• High Yield Minion
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2014, 10:08:56 pm »
A nation with no morals is a nation heading for destruction.

History has shown this time and against for thousands of years.
"...And these atomic bombs which science burst upon the world that night were strange, even to the men who used them."  H. G. Wells, The World Set Free, 1914

"The one pervading evil of democracy is the tyranny of the majority, or rather of that party, not always the majority, that succeeds, by force or fraud, in carrying elections." -Lord Acton

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #9 on: March 15, 2014, 10:15:44 pm »
He's distancing himself from that image of a Social Conservative peeking into 'your' bedroom.

Let the others squirm up there on the podium....trying to be all things to all people.

He's going to disarm the bassturds right now.   He 'knows' that the vast majority of Tea Party voters are already behind him.

CW is that GOP candidates stake a claim on the right to win the primaries and then run to the middle.  Paul has decided he is positioned too close to Cruz and Rubio 2 years early.

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #10 on: March 15, 2014, 10:42:41 pm »
My personal opinion is that social conservatives a free to hold their religious beliefs, but should not be empowered to enact them into federal law, which would force others to adhere to their beliefs.

On balance I think that Rand Paul comes the closest to holding a package of opinions and policies which match up with current national opinions.

The Tea Party was NOT formed over social conservative issues. So those that are both Tea Party and Rand enthusiasts stay with him.

I believe Rand could win both the primaries/nomination and the general election. Cruz I believe peaks out at primaries, because his range of appeal is narrow, but of course loud.

But of course it could well be somebody else. The election is still 2.5 years in the future. Primaries start early 2 years.
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #11 on: March 15, 2014, 10:44:33 pm »
Who's asking to enact them into Federal Law???  This is and should be a states right issue - SCOTUS NEVER should have taken Roe v Wade.  Seems to me we owe a lot of our current problems to the Supremes on any number of issues,

HOWEVER and this is a BIG however with me... the Federal Government aka TAXPAYERS should not be giving one single thin dime to help pay for abortions....  if a state wants them to be legal - including late term abortions - then the people who are getting them in that state pays for it out of their own pocket.... not my pocket.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2014, 10:48:58 pm by Rapunzel »
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Formerly Once-Ler

« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2014, 01:35:49 am »
Who's asking to enact them into Federal Law???  This is and should be a states right issue - SCOTUS NEVER should have taken Roe v Wade.  Seems to me we owe a lot of our current problems to the Supremes on any number of issues,

HOWEVER and this is a BIG however with me... the Federal Government aka TAXPAYERS should not be giving one single thin dime to help pay for abortions....  if a state wants them to be legal - including late term abortions - then the people who are getting them in that state pays for it out of their own pocket.... not my pocket.

Can't disagree with you here.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2014, 01:47:03 am by Once-Ler »

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #13 on: March 16, 2014, 01:41:54 am »
That was a very dark era in the Court history, set into motion by Earl Warren 20 years prior, that set us on our current path to destruction. No longer were they merely judges, they were activists. They sought ways to set a dangerous and wrong precedent and sought the cases to do it. This, of course, brought a wave of lawsuits that the right side could never defend because Warren and company were already in the plaintiffs' corner.

Seems to me that with that strategy, a council of five dictators can do just about anything.
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #14 on: March 16, 2014, 02:26:33 am »
Federal defense of marriage movements, federal personhood movements, contraception to name a few of favorites from the SoCon enthusiasts.

IOW it is not sufficient for them to hold religious views, and to follow them.

They expect the entire nation to enact laws, which have the effect of forcing all citizens, to follow one faction's religious views.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #15 on: March 16, 2014, 03:44:37 am »
Federal defense of marriage movements, federal personhood movements, contraception to name a few of favorites from the SoCon enthusiasts.

They expect the entire nation to enact laws, which have the effect of forcing all citizens, to follow one faction's religious views.

In other-words you don't object to paying for another persons abortion out of your tax dollars and you're fine with abortions being mandated by the federal government????? or are you just talking down to us again.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #16 on: March 16, 2014, 03:46:51 am »
 :silly:

Offline truth_seeker

« Reply #17 on: March 16, 2014, 05:24:17 am »
In other-words you don't object to paying for another persons abortion out of your tax dollars and you're fine with abortions being mandated by the federal government????? or are you just talking down to us again.
Speaking for myself, I object to my taxpayer dollars laying for most all social welfare programs, I object to efforts to impose religous beliefs through government power, and I disapprove of your stalking my every post.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #18 on: March 16, 2014, 05:28:12 am »
Speaking for myself, I object to my taxpayer dollars laying for most all social welfare programs, I object to efforts to impose religous beliefs through government power, and I disapprove of your stalking my every post.

Get over yourself...

I guess I missed conservatives pushing their religion on anyone.. now Muslim's that is another story... and it is liberals pushing birth control pills and abortions on the rest of us.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #19 on: March 16, 2014, 08:10:56 am »

Get over yourself...

I guess I missed conservatives pushing their religion on anyone.. now Muslim's that is another story... and it is liberals pushing birth control pills and abortions on the rest of us.

That is their religion.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #20 on: March 16, 2014, 08:17:12 am »

Get over yourself...

CAIR is dictating the muslim religion in our country and no one in the media or the progressive left seems to care. It is now to the point that radical islam is covered-up in this tale. It's okay if it is the progressive religion that is quite cultish in our media. It is quite telling when someone raises the issue about CAIR's influence they are called islamophobes. So, bring on the political debates and raise this issue until it is so blatantly clear while asking them to stop their Christianphobia. Do this until the moderator runs out of ridiculous gotchas on the definition of a marriage.

Telling TS to get over him/her self is being kind, there is never honest debate with TS, TS is never wrong. We are so not worthy of TS.

Oceander

« Reply #21 on: March 16, 2014, 03:02:55 pm »

Get over yourself...

yes, you've most definitely missed it.

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #22 on: March 17, 2014, 02:19:04 pm »

Exactly.  But, you must still stay on the GOP plantation and not think of voting third party.  I wonder if Rand would agree for the GOP to disagree on taxes, foreign policy, NSA and civil liberties?

Offline MBB1984

« Reply #23 on: March 17, 2014, 02:24:38 pm »

What faction would that be?  Catholics, Muslims, Orthodox Jews, and Conservative Protestants have essentially the same views on abortion and gay marriage.  It is about morality not a religious practice and law is fundamentally about morality.  Should their moral views be swept aside because they have a religious influence?  If so, you need to sweep away virtually all law in the US.

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #24 on: March 17, 2014, 02:42:59 pm »
What faction would that be?  Catholics, Muslims, Orthodox Jews, and Conservative Protestants have essentially the same views on abortion and gay marriage.  It is about morality not a religious practice and law is fundamentally about morality.  Should their moral views be swept aside because they have a religious influence?  If so, you need to sweep away virtually all law in the US.

You can not legislate morality. There is only one place that can come from. Within.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink