Author Topic: Rand Paul: GOP needs to ‘agree to disagree’ on social issues  (Read 4452 times)

Offline MBB1984

Re: Rand Paul: GOP needs to ‘agree to disagree’ on social issues
« Reply #25 on: March 17, 2014, 02:58:16 pm »
You can not legislate morality. There is only one place that can come from. Within.

LOL!  We do it all the time.  All law is about morality.  The question is not whether we will legislate morality, the question is whose morality will we impose on society.

I will agree that when the culture becomes so debased that morality can be impossible to enforce. 

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #26 on: March 17, 2014, 03:23:28 pm »
LOL!  We do it all the time.  All law is about morality.  The question is not whether we will legislate morality, the question is whose morality will we impose on society.

I will agree that when the culture becomes so debased that morality can be impossible to enforce.

It's getting there. Yeah, bit down today as far as the world goes. We all get those days.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #27 on: March 17, 2014, 10:48:36 pm »
Who's asking to enact them into Federal Law??? 

This is what many voters hear when social issues are front and center of national campaigns. 

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #28 on: March 17, 2014, 10:58:50 pm »
This is what many voters hear when social issues are front and center of national campaigns.

They listen to Santorum too much.  In fact I want the government out of our bedrooms and let the states choose what they want to enact.   I do not want to pay for someone's abortion and I do not want to pay for their birthcontrol......... anymore than I want to pay for NPR and PBS. 
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline Howie66

• MOLON LABE & SEMPER FI!
« Reply #29 on: March 17, 2014, 11:09:20 pm »
They listen to Santorum too much.  In fact I want the government out of our bedrooms and let the states choose what they want to enact.   I do not want to pay for someone's abortion and I do not want to pay for their birthcontrol......... anymore than I want to pay for NPR and PBS.

If one thinks about it, the greatest intrusions into our bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, living-rooms and garages have all taken place during the past 8 years. Beginning with the Pelosi run House dictating to us what kind of lightbulbs we must have and what size toilet we can use. Things have gone down-hill ever since with nary a whimper on the part of the GOP.

One phrase that really sets my blood to boiling is that "we'll have to agree to disagree" line that is quickly tossed out by unprincipled pansies. This country has it's roots in debate! Thank God that our Founders did not take that approach with King George, lll! I HATE that term with a passion.

Another one is "give back to the community". As a life long tax-paying, law abiding citizen that also served our country (in and out of uniform), I don't need some useless dipstick who has never done anything to pull their own weight telling me that I must do more. Screw that!

/rant
« Last Edit: March 17, 2014, 11:11:41 pm by Howie66 »
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline Rapunzel

« Reply #30 on: March 17, 2014, 11:11:47 pm »
If one thinks about it, the greatest intrusions into our bedrooms, bathrooms, kitchens, living-rooms and garages have all taken place during the past 8 years. Beginning with the Pelosi run House dictating to us what kind of lightbulbs we must have and what size toilet we can use. Things have gone down-hill ever since with nary a whimper on the part of the GOP.

One phrase that really sets my blood to boiling is "we'll have to agree to disagree" line that is quickly tossed out by unprincipled pansies. I HATE that term with a passion.

Another one is "give back to the community". As a life long tax-paying, law abiding citizen that also served our country (in and out of uniform), I don't need some useless dipstick who has never done anything to pull their own weight telling me that I must do more. Screw that!

/rant

Agreed...... frankly the role of the Federal Government is national defense. It's doing a lousy job of late and they can't seem to do much else well. Let the states be what they were designed to me - laboratories where you can see what works and what doesn't work...  I like Rick Perry's idea - these guys should would a couple of months every two years... then go home.
�The time is now near at hand which must probably determine, whether Americans are to be, Freemen, or Slaves.� G Washington July 2, 1776

Offline jmyrlefuller

• J. Myrle Fuller
  • Cat Mod
  • Realistic nihilist
    • Fullervision
« Reply #31 on: March 17, 2014, 11:12:33 pm »

One phrase that really sets my blood to boiling is that "we'll have to agree to disagree" line that is quickly tossed out by unprincipled pansies. This country has it's roots in debate! Thank God that our Founders did not take that approach with King George, lll! I HATE that term with a passion.

/rant
:hands:
New profile picture in honor of Public Domain Day 2024

Offline EC

• Shanghaied Editor
  • Cats rule. Dogs drool.
« Reply #32 on: March 17, 2014, 11:19:14 pm »

/rant

"Agree to disagree" - meh, can live with that. Plenty of people even here that I disagree with from time to time, but we can still have a few drinks and a meal and a good time.

"Give back to the community" though - define community. It's a BS phrase used by professional BSers.
The universe doesn't hate you. Unless your name is Tsutomu Yamaguchi

I've got a website now: Smoke and Ink

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #33 on: March 18, 2014, 03:59:58 am »

Sorry Howie...hope you can add a little context here.

I've made the plea in here that we look inside at such time in a debate when you get to the point that being 'right' is at the expense of somebody else.

When you're tempted to type "m o r o n"....., "well have to agree to disagree!"

It certainly shouldn't be construed one is a pansy. 

It's a way of keeping threads from being needlessly locked.

"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline Howie66

« Reply #34 on: March 18, 2014, 12:47:19 pm »
Sorry Howie...hope you can add a little context here.

I've made the plea in here that we look inside at such time in a debate when you get to the point that being 'right' is at the expense of somebody else.

When you're tempted to type "m o r o n"....., "well have to agree to disagree!"

It certainly shouldn't be construed one is a pansy. 

It's a way of keeping threads from being needlessly locked.

My rant was inspired by Rand Paul's "squishy" comments, DCP. Not directed at you at all.

Just another reason why I am increasingly unimpressed with Son Of Ron.
I come in peace, I didn't bring artillery.  But I am pleading with you with tears in my eyes:  If you bleep with me, I'll kill you all.

Marine General James Mattis, to Iraqi tribal leaders (Note: Mattis did NOT say "BLEEP". He threw the F Bomb)

I didn't enlist in the Corps just to watch my country become a Third World Communist Shit-hole. Don't know anyone who did.

Offline DCPatriot

• "...and the winning number is...not yours!
« Reply #35 on: March 18, 2014, 12:48:41 pm »
My rant was inspired by Rand Paul's "squishy" comments, DCP. Not directed at you at all.

Just another reason why I am increasingly unimpressed with Son Of Ron.

thanks for the clarification, buddy!   :beer:
"It aint what you don't know that kills you.  It's what you know that aint so!" ...Theodore Sturgeon

"Journalism is about covering the news.  With a pillow.  Until it stops moving."    - David Burge (Iowahawk)

"It was only a sunny smile, and little it cost in the giving, but like morning light it scattered the night and made the day worth living" F. Scott Fitzgerald

Offline aligncare

« Reply #36 on: March 18, 2014, 12:54:15 pm »
In other words, must adopt the Democrat positions on amnesty, abortion, legalizing drugs, and homo "marriage," along with whatever perversion the left adopts next like pedophilia.

Rand is no different than daddy, just a little more subtle.

Disagree. Cultural change happens.

The government does not drive the culture, culture drives the government. In other words, we get the government we deserve. Change the culture and you change government. Not the other way around.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #37 on: March 18, 2014, 12:57:02 pm »
Rand may not be *the* candidate to get behind in the end and I am waiting to hear his foreign policy ideas at debates. But yeah, the strict social conservatives should not let Candy Crowley ask anyone how a marriage is defined. I will probably get flamed but this is how I feel.

Fear not, you're absolutely right.

Offline aligncare

« Reply #38 on: March 18, 2014, 01:03:14 pm »
He's distancing himself from that image of a Social Conservative peeking into 'your' bedroom.

Let the others squirm up there on the podium....trying to be all things to all people.

He's going to disarm the bassturds right now.   He 'knows' that the vast majority of Tea Party voters are already behind him.

I find myself in agreement. There's a lot of libertarian in you, my friend.

We have to take social issues away from the government. It's an imperative.

Like Mark Twain said, government is merely a servant – it cannot be it's prerogative to determine what is right and what is wrong.

If we don't get this done the Democrats will continue to enslave us in government control.

Offline Lipstick on a Hillary

« Reply #39 on: March 18, 2014, 01:03:53 pm »

The government does not drive the culture, culture drives the government. In other words, we get the government we deserve. Change the culture and you change government. Not the other way around.

Agreed.  This is why the likes of Beck and Limbaugh are joining the Breitbart organization, and doing other projects besides talk radio.  They understand that the culture needs to be penetrated, and you have to start somewhere with it. 

Offline Gazoo

• Inactive Members
« Reply #40 on: March 18, 2014, 02:05:55 pm »

Excellent point.

Comment removed to cease even more reports to the moderator panties in a wad

You forgot the medias fav little line of 'Senator blah blah blah is doubling back on his comment saying that  Obama is a ___________. weak President, race-baiter, inept community organizer. 'It is the medias way of saying...How DARE anyone say anything derogatory about their master, Obama. They imply that, someone dares to even constructively criticize Obama and they failed the first time at ever so politically correctly bullying and shaming them into silence.
« Last Edit: March 18, 2014, 02:17:36 pm by Gazoo »
"The Tea Party has a right to feel cheated.

When does the Republican Party, put in the majority by the Tea Party, plan to honor its commitment to halt the growth of the Federal monolith and bring the budget back into balance"?

Offline aligncare

« Reply #41 on: March 18, 2014, 03:08:28 pm »

From the New York Times, March 11, 2011:

"A 2007 bill, passed overwhelmingly by both houses of Congress and signed into law by George W. Bush, will make the familiar incandescent bulb subject to strict efficiency standards next year."

Let's not forget republicans had a hand in banning incandescent lightbulbs. Republicans could have voted "nay" as a block and GW could have vetoed. Pinning this stupid legislation strictly on Democrats.

Offline Howie66

« Reply #42 on: March 18, 2014, 03:21:21 pm »

From the New York Times, March 11, 2011:

"A 2007 bill, passed overwhelmingly by both houses of Congress and signed into law by George W. Bush, will make the familiar incandescent bulb subject to strict efficiency standards next year."

Let's not forget republicans had a hand in banning incandescent lightbulbs. Republicans could have voted "nay" as a block and GW could have vetoed. Pinning this stupid legislation strictly on Democrats.

I am not giving Bush or the RINOs a pass in any of this. Just remember that the Congress had been compromised and under RAT Party control when these useless laws were passed.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #43 on: March 18, 2014, 03:37:51 pm »
I believe the Bush administration is what enabled the Democrats to gain control of Congress in 2006, and eventually is what enabled an Obama victory.  Bush failed to establish a successor to run after him, he failed to defend himself against the constant attacks - he failed when he let Karl Rove be in charge of his reputation. 

I was a big supporter of Bush until 2006, and I remember coming to the realization then that he wasn't what I thought he was.  I will always be thankful of the way he led after 9/11, but I think if 9/11 hadn't happened - his term would have been just like his Daddy's.  A disappointment, and leading to Democrat victory.  I spit on "compassionate conservatism"!
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline Howie66

« Reply #44 on: March 18, 2014, 03:54:19 pm »
I believe the Bush administration is what enabled the Democrats to gain control of Congress in 2006, and eventually is what enabled an Obama victory.  Bush failed to establish a successor to run after him, he failed to defend himself against the constant attacks - he failed when he let Karl Rove be in charge of his reputation. 

I was a big supporter of Bush until 2006, and I remember coming to the realization then that he wasn't what I thought he was.  I will always be thankful of the way he led after 9/11, but I think if 9/11 hadn't happened - his term would have been just like his Daddy's.  A disappointment, and leading to Democrat victory.  I spit on "compassionate conservatism"!

The birth of the TEA Party movement can be attributed in large part to the actions of the second Bush Administration (2004-2008) when you think about it. TARP, the proposed bailout of GM/Chrysler/Ford and other such Big Gubmint hogwash. The beginning of the Obama Regime just threw gasoline on a fire that was already started.

Offline alicewonders

• Live life-it's too short to butt heads w buttheads
« Reply #45 on: March 18, 2014, 04:13:12 pm »
The birth of the TEA Party movement can be attributed in large part to the actions of the second Bush Administration (2004-2008) when you think about it. TARP, the proposed bailout of GM/Chrysler/Ford and other such Big Gubmint hogwash. The beginning of the Obama Regime just threw gasoline on a fire that was already started.

:amen:
Don't tread on me.   8888madkitty

We told you Trump would win - bigly!

Offline truth_seeker

• Common Sense Results Oriented Conservative Veteran
« Reply #46 on: March 18, 2014, 04:33:12 pm »
One reason the TP has declined in approval, effectiveness is because they have a difficult time convincing enough voters about their focused singleness of purpose.

IOW one day it is replace democrats, but the next it becomes replace Republicans, and voters have awakened.

The Tea Party movement, through their professional business units (TP Express, TP Patriots, etc.) need to settle on a smaller list of state and district targets, and do some good.

Because repeats of Angle, Buck, Akins, Mourdock, O'Donnell will line the pockets of the top guys and gals, but cost the nation dearly.

TP, mainstream and libertarian Republicans and independents need to be united, ensure winning the Senate and increasing their House majority.

Putting that goal in jeopardy, in order to listen to some fiery speeches, is not wise to say it gently.   
"God must love the common man, he made so many of them.�  Abe Lincoln

Offline Right_in_Virginia

« Reply #47 on: March 18, 2014, 10:48:40 pm »

goopo

Oceander

« Reply #48 on: March 19, 2014, 03:30:21 am »

I quite agree

Oceander

« Reply #49 on: March 19, 2014, 03:32:28 am »

Pearls of wisdom.